Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can someone explain this screenshot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey TMC!

I'm attaching a screenshot of the notifications I woke up to this morning on the dashboard for Tesla app. It shows the car charging and completing over and over. I assume this is from some kind of phantom drain but wouldn't expect this while plugged into a 220 source.
Screenshot_20200110-062305.png

The car keeps the battery warm or cool over the course of the night. Do you live somewhere cold? Mine does this too. So did my volt. It’s fine.

Ok thats what I figured , but it's been cold since we bought the car and it's never shown this which is why I questioned it. TBH I wish we had some of the capabilities of these 3rd party apps directly from Tesla. Thanks Coconut

Reactions: coconutboy84
I'm attaching a screenshot of the notifications I woke up to this morning on the dashboard for Tesla app. It shows the car charging and completing over and over. I assume this is from some kind of phantom drain but wouldn't expect this while plugged into a 220 source.
That is normal with the large phantom drain items turned on like sentry mode and summon standby. This is precisely why some people would use a scheduled charging start time, so it just runs once during the night and done instead of a dozen separate tiny recharging events.

That is normal with the large phantom drain items turned on like sentry mode and summon standby. This is precisely why some people would use a scheduled charging start time, so it just runs once during the night and done instead of a dozen separate tiny recharging events.

Everything as far as I can tell that would cause any drain is turned off and we were all asleep when these popped up.

Reactions: coconutboy84
FWIW, I live in Houston and I get similar notifications with a 60+ degree outside temperature, the car in the garage, both summon standby and sentry mode off, and my phone asleep without anyone touching it. It happens around 10% of the times that I charge overnight. I have assumed that it is the battery management system rebalancing the cells, but I don’t have any real data to back up that assumption.

Model 3 started doing that last spring a bit haphazardly.

Has nothing to do with temperature.

If it charges and completes and remains plugged in, any time the car wakes for any reason it will retop off the battery no matter how little.

I think the idea is that if you charged to 80% you expect 80% the next time you get to the car. I find it super annoying and wasteful.

There was a work around that if you have a scheduled charged it won’t do it.

I stopped plugging in daily when Tesla started this nonsense. I plug in once or twice a week. And charge between 40% and 80%.

If your car sleeps really good it may not wake up often enough to trigger very often.

I also stopped running apps.

Reactions: Rocky_H and house9