Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can navigation settings, like highway speeds, be set to give accurate range estimate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

h2ofun

Aug 11, 2020
auburn, ca
When I drove yesterday, I started to play some with how fast I was driving vs range.
On the way down I drove 60 mph, and on the way back 55 mph. I could see that estimate for charge left increase when driving slower than my normal 73 mph

But is there a way to up front adjust the highway speeds assumptions so I can get a more accurate estimate of range, and arrival time?

When I drove yesterday, I started to play some with how fast I was driving vs range.
On the way down I drove 60 mph, and on the way back 55 mph. I could see that estimate for charge left increase when driving slower than my normal 73 mph

But is there a way to up front adjust the highway speeds assumptions so I can get a more accurate estimate of range, and arrival time?
The estimated range value displayed next to the battery icon is not affected by your speed, only the remaining % state of charge remaining in the battery and Tesla's EPA combined City/Highway energy consumption (Wh/mile), roughly 230 Wh/mile. If you enter a destination in the Navigation system, then use the Energy Screen to monitor your expected and actual energy consumption and remaining range as you drive the route.

The Navigation system takes into account the posted speed limits, elevation changes along the route and now also considers weather factors including outside temperature, rain and winds/cross winds.

The Energy screen monitors your actual consumption. The estimated range and battery % state of charge shown on the Energy Screen for when you arrive at your destination will be accurate.

One way that you can accurately estimate your consumption is to drive a route in both directions on the same day (preferably same time, temperature.) An average of the consumption when driving 20 or so miles one way and back would provide a fairly accurate measure and would cancel out effects such as small changes in elevation and wind/cross wind. Traffic conditions might vary at different times, this would impact the results.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grabthar