Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I share a charger and have my neighbor bill me?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can I share my neighbor's charger and have my neighbor bill me? We live in a condo building, and the cost of installing a wall charger would be prohibitive. I want to propose to the chap in the next parking space--who has his own charger--that we share his. He could add a markup to the hourly bill and hence recover some of his own costs. But for this to work there would need to be a seamless, hassle-free way to meter the electricity I use, and pay him for it eg with PayPal or Venmo.
Is there an app capable of doing this?

Can I share my neighbor's charger and have my neighbor bill me? We live in a condo building, and the cost of installing a wall charger would be prohibitive. I want to propose to the chap in the next parking space--who has his own charger--that we share his. He could add a markup to the hourly bill and hence recover some of his own costs. But for this to work there would need to be a seamless, hassle-free way to meter the electricity I use, and pay him for it eg with PayPal or Venmo.
The Tesla app does that, but you’ll need to insert your Peak and Off-Peak rates.

IMG_1093.jpeg

Upvote 0
If there are time of use plans in baltimore (where it says you are under your name) "what energy you put in your car" wont necessarily be the same thing as what it costs this person. Even on an regular "Tiered use" plan, where you are charged more for using more, your energy use might cause this person to spend proportionately more on all the power they are using.

I say this, because, You are thinking "I will just pay for what my car uses" as if that would automatically make the other person whole, and its entirely possible it wont.

That could make for some awkward conversations between you, with you saying "I only used 200kWh this month, and we pay 16c a kWh so thats $32, ill give you $40 and you make a little profit." With them replying "but that was used during the day / pushed me into a higher charge bracket making my bill $75 higher than it normally is, so you need to give me $85 (made up numbers but to show the point).

I certainly wouldnt do this with someone unless we were GOOOOOD friends at a minimum (enough to where I didnt mind eating some of the cost).

Reactions: Red Ryder 3
Upvote 0
TeslaMate can do this. It gives you a table of all your charges, the energy used, location, and can even calculate cost. It's not an app, it's an open source thing you run on a PC or a cloud service that has to be running all the time, but it's pretty trivial to set up.

If you have complicated electricity billing, TeslaMateAgile is an addon to Teslamate that can calculate the cost of a charge with even very complex tarriff schedules.

Upvote 0
I'd come up with a simpler payment scheme. Remember that you are not only compensating him for the power, but for the inconvenience of having his charging equipment tied up by someone else. He also has invested a lot of upfront money and effort in getting it installed in the first place. He might even conceivably face some liability if you left the cord lying on the ground and someone tripped or ran over it or something.

If you can boil it down to a figure higher than the electricity cost, say, $50-100 a month, they might be more amenable to the idea.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The simple idea is a good one- a lot of this comes down to how much you will charge off-site.

An in-between of flat fee and measuring each charge is just using the in-car energy used via one of the trip meters. This keeps track of "energy used". You could just take this and a rate, and reset it every time you pay them. This doesn't care where you charged though.

Note that "energy used" is what the car used, and there is charging loss, so the electric bill is higher. A proposal to take this "energy used" and increase it by 50% and pay the highest real electric rate against that use would probably work out well and would lead to a bit of payment for the infrastructure.

Another note about infrastructure- Tesla and others often charges about 3X the local rate when you go to a supercharger or other site, so this is still way cheaper than public charging.

Reactions: jjrandorin
Upvote 0
i agree with simple method. .just offer the guy $50~$75 / month or so depending on how much you plan to use it plus a little markup for him .. at $.15 / kwh.. $50/month would get you ~16k miles per year

Upvote 0
I have the same issue. I got a reasonably cheap KwH meter from Amazon. Very easy to install upstream from the charger. I put a clipboard next to it and we record the start and stop numbers and go forward from there. Some have logging functions. You can build a spreadsheet and let it do the math.
Or just figure out the number of KwH used and multiply it by the rate you are charged from the local utility.

Upvote 0
That would work if the billed party has an electric rate which does not have off-peak/peak hours, or a tiered structure (cost per kWh increases upon exceeding a set number of kWh consumed). Otherwise, at the very least, you'd also have to keep track of when you are using the charger.
You might see if any of the KwH meters have a logging feature. Mine doesn't, and it's been so long since I fooled with it, I don't remember which ones do.
Looks like you will have to settle for logging use times.

Upvote 0
I'd come up with a simpler payment scheme. Remember that you are not only compensating him for the power, but for the inconvenience of having his charging equipment tied up by someone else. He also has invested a lot of upfront money and effort in getting it installed in the first place. He might even conceivably face some liability if you left the cord lying on the ground and someone tripped or ran over it or something.

If you can boil it down to a figure higher than the electricity cost, say, $50-100 a month, they might be more amenable to the idea.
Agree and I wouldn't do it. If there is any substantial property damage or loss of life, you will be part of the legal nightmare

Upvote 0
That would work if the billed party has an electric rate which does not have off-peak/peak hours, or a tiered structure (cost per kWh increases upon exceeding a set number of kWh consumed). Otherwise, at the very least, you'd also have to keep track of when you are using the charger.
Well, your neighbor can only turn ON the charger at 12am for example for you to charge overnight at lowest rate.
You can plug in in the evening and schedule it to charge it at 12:30am for example.
Your neighbor has the inconvenience of turn ON the charger at 12am. So he deserve some extra fee.
And the app can show 50kWh, used in reality it's a bit more than that.

Upvote 0
One issue is who gets the charger when. We have two Teslas and one charger, and it's never a problem to figure out which one to plug in. However, neither car gets driven a lot.

My suggestion would be to come up with a flat monthly rate and try it out for six months. Always keep in mind how much you'd be saving over installing a new charger.

Upvote 0
get a quote to install a subpanel (or outlet) at your neighbours outlet and run a line to your parking spot. Pay te neighbour for some of his prior costs as an incentive.

I charge at an 110v outlet beside our condo parking stall at 8 or 10amps. This more than meets our daily driving needs after an overnight charge. Our charging station:

Upvote 0
You can get an inline watthour meter from Amazon. Read the meter when you plug in, read it when you discharge. Consult the bill, determine the price per KWH, do the math. Might also share a litle in the fixed cost, all the add on crap you get on your bill in addition to the usage billing.
Another poster brought up a good point. Consult your attorney about possible liability in case of any electrical issues.

I own the house next door, my Aunt has tenancy and pays the bills. I read the meter monthly and hand her the dough. Easy peasy.

Upvote 0
TeslaMate can do this. It gives you a table of all your charges, the energy used, location, and can even calculate cost. It's not an app, it's an open source thing you run on a PC or a cloud service that has to be running all the time, but it's pretty trivial to set up.

If you have complicated electricity billing, TeslaMateAgile is an addon to Teslamate that can calculate the cost of a charge with even very complex tarriff schedules.

Can you clarify how TelsaMate would handle the multiple vehicle usage separation? Would all vehicles need to be Tesla? And does TeslaMate let you monitor Teslas from multiple accounts? Or does TeslaMate instead offer a way to just query the Telsa Wall Connector (or Universal Wall Connector) for the usage, and offer some way to allow you to differentiate which vehicle was drawing the power at a given time?

I found this forum post hoping that one Wall Connector could support multiple vehicles and there would be a fairly straightforward way to automatically generate reports for per vehicle usage in each given time period.

Upvote 0