Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Camera Vieu after incident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a road rage incident Saturday 4/27/24 at 7;45 am. and the police wants to identify the person, so I was trying to get the images from my car I try my mobile apps I and I could fine how to access the images. Eventually I want to Tesla, and I ask for some help. I was told that is USB Flah drive in my glove compartment. so, I want home to remove the flash drive and I attached to my desk top computer, and I was trying to fine the time image of the incident but was overridden by then due the small capacity of the flesh drive.
The question is can I still get the images of the incident from Tesla?

There are a few different options for saving clips:

Enable Dashcam by touching Controls > Dashcam. Dashcam allows you to choose how and when footage is saved. You can choose between:
  • Auto: Dashcam automatically saves a recording to the USB drive when Model S detects a safety-critical event, such as a collision or airbag deployment. When Auto is selected, detection can vary and is subject to your vehicle's power, sleep, and Autopilot state.
    Note: Several factors determine whether Dashcam automatically saves a recording of a safety-critical event (for example, amount of force, whether or not airbags deploy, etc.). Do not rely on Dashcam to automatically record all safety-critical events.
  • Manual: You must manually touch the Dashcam icon to save a recording of the most recent ten minutes of footage.
  • On Honk: When you press the horn, Dashcam saves a recording of the most recent ten minutes of footage. You can enable this along with Auto or Manual simultaneously.

Upvote 0
So did install a 2TB usb hard drive, under the save files that date that I am interested doesn't exist, I also an able the horn recording.
I think I am set for now, of course to late, but it's learning experience, the hood cannot be fixed needs a new hood.
a question is that the dash cam i con the need to tap for saving the recording. Because when I tap it then a screen popped with two options delete and save do, I then hit the save icon?
You are being a great help thank you all.

Upvote 0
I had a road rage incident Saturday 4/27/24 at 7;45 am. and the police wants to identify the person, so I was trying to get the images from my car I try my mobile apps I and I could fine how to access the images. Eventually I want to Tesla, and I ask for some help. I was told that is USB Flah drive in my glove compartment. so, I want home to remove the flash drive and I attached to my desk top computer, and I was trying to fine the time image of the incident but was overridden by then due the small capacity of the flesh drive.
The question is can I still get the images of the incident from Tesla?
This is interesting. I know the flash drive is in the glove box but never looked at it's capacity since it came with the car. I now wonder if I should remove it and put in one with more capacity.

Upvote 0
This is interesting. I know the flash drive is in the glove box but never looked at it's capacity since it came with the car. I now wonder if I should remove it and put in one with more capacity.
Unless Tesla changed something recently, the dashcam will only save an hour of video regardless of the capacity, so it's important to save clips when something happens.

Upvote 0
What I found out is the minute the incident happens try to save it as was mentioned above and now after what I learn is remove the Flash drive preventing any overnights. until you can extract the information then you can put the flash drive back. About the capacity I do not know yet I will let you know when I check my 2TB drive that I did install. As I checked my 2TB drive Rick is right only records 3 hours of videos. But I found something else when I install my 2TB hard drive besides the recent clips also created a saveclips file and recorded a file from 2024-16 and this file is not on saveclips in the original flash drive I am wondering where this is coming from and is any other clips that are stored somewhere else that I cannot access them.

Upvote 0
Yeh the police are trying to do that I am keeping my fingers cross. Will see what happens. According to a body shop they cannot fix the dent on the hood because is aluminum need new hood. That is bummer insurance will cover it but there is a big deductible. Any way will see is not the end of the world Just annoying that people like exist. Again, thank you all.

Upvote 0