Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California: Living on the other side of the law - (car pool stickers)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took the smallest sticker, and put it on the back right bottom black area right behind the wheel so it can be seen by police from the back and right side.

A police officer friend of mine said that was good enough and to keep the docs and other stickers in the glove box. Recently got pulled over and finally got my first speeding ticket (was in HOV lane going way too fast :-/) and the officer didn't even mention it.

I took the smallest sticker, and put it on the back right bottom black area right behind the wheel so it can be seen by police from the back and right side.

A police officer friend of mine said that was good enough and to keep the docs and other stickers in the glove box. Recently got pulled over and finally got my first speeding ticket (was in HOV lane going way too fast :-/) and the officer didn't even mention it.

The cynic in me thinks that since he nabbed you for a pricey speeding ticket, he was not going to risk writing up a second citation for a (possible) sticker violation. As long as you were cool and respectful, (as I am sure you were,) he was not going to get nasty.

Sorta off topic, can't we Californians plead with DMV and the legislature to issue special EV plates to avoid this hassle? I wonder how many Californians who drive Teslas or Leafs would opt in for these plates? I bet we could surmount 10,000 orders which ought to make it worthwhile!

See this thread on the subject: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/9789-California-DMV-Plates-HOV-Stickers . In short, yes, people have been pulled over for not displaying the stickers and been ticketed even with the stickers and documentation in their glove box.

I've got just the one small one on the lower rear bumper, like this. It is very unobtrusive. Like you, I can't bring myself to put the big ones on the sides.

View attachment 73137

...Nice Pic... (Especially since I took it.)

• Disagree
Reactions: virtualsmack
but I am in fact fully authorized by the Sate of Ca to be in the HOV lane" argument if (fine...when) I get pulled over. Think it will work? Has anyone been pulled over in a Tesla in California for not displaying the stickers?

But you're not.

California vehicle code:

(b) A person shall not drive a vehicle described in subdivision (a) of Section 5205.5 with a single occupant upon a high-occupancy vehicle lane pursuant to this section unless the decal, label, or other identifier issued pursuant to Section 5205.5 is properly displayed on the vehicle, and the vehicle registration described in Section 5205.5 is with the vehicle.

V C Section 21655.9 HOV Lanes Use By Ultra Low Emission Vehicles

In fact, other Tesla owners have been pulled over and cited for this. I don't think this is automatically a fix-it ticket either. I think it depends on the generosity of the LEO. I don't ever expect CHP in particular to be generous.

Then, there is the issue of what your time is worth: getting pulled over, putting the decals on your car exactly where DMV says they should be (not on the plastic panels at this point) and then having a peace officer sign off on the ticket. Even if you know a cop who will sign off the ticket for you, it's a hassle.

Most of us have figured out ways to post our stickers so they're inoffensive and don't damage paint. Some MS owners say they just don't drive in HOV lanes solo.

Just so you know. I'd hate for you to really annoy the CHP officer that pulls you over by insisting on this when -- gulp! -- you're misinformed. ;)

I hesitated to put mine on, but ultimately installed all three on the black lower bumper. It's not as bad as I had worried. I decided installing one was pointless: I'd have both defaced the car with a sticker and still have been non-compliant with the law and making my car a target. It seemed like my options were either install all three or none at all. I got over it. The passenger side one is tricky to install if you're putting it on the black part, though.

A few years back, I had this same dilemma with my HCH (Honda Civic Hybrid). So, I purchased some magnetic sheets. Stuck the stickers to one side, cut around the sticker, and stuck them to the car. I would seldom drive on a highway with HOV lanes but when I knew I was going to or might hit traffic, I would pull them out from the glove box. The small front one was kind of weak and sure enough one day when my speed was up there...folupe. I wasn't sure at first, but it was gone once I got out to check; three are better than none. Worked great other than that incident.

Don't know what I am going to do when I get my MS since it is all aluminum, but I will come up with something. Maybe a magnet on the inside of the panel. Or that magic picture hanging tape. Or maybe some clear vinyl a little larger than the sticker holding it in place. Yea, I like that one.

Magnets will not work. The entire Model S body is made of aluminum

- - - Updated - - -

Ah.. nevermind. I didn't see your other paragraph as my window was not fully open to view your entire message. I'll take my "didn't read the entire email FAIL" award right now :biggrin: