Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Calculating the Model 3 Canadian prices?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's the price in the US (estimated price) of a nicely equipped model 3?

AWD $5000?
75 battery (big battery) $9000
premium upgrades package $5000
autopilot $5000
paint $1000

I wouldn't bother with wheels...just buy some 19" tesla wheels or others after you take delivery and use your stock 18s for winters . Heated steering wheel/subzero package etc. are nice but not necessary.

So if in the US that starts at $35,000 with those upgrades you're at $60,000 USD. Delivery adds another $1300 or so.

That gets a pretty awesome car for a pretty serious price of $61,300 USD. Converted to CAD today that's $78,250. Add in a pricing buffer for Tesla of $1750 and you're at $80,000 CAD.

If you pay 13% HST that's $90,000

Get your Ontario rebate if you're lucky enough to live in the land of 55% income tax, and you're at $76,000 for a model 3

is it just me...or should you not just go buy a 2 year old Model S 85D?

AWD $5000?
75 battery (big battery) $9000
premium upgrades package $5000
autopilot $5000
paint $1000

I wouldn't bother with wheels...just buy some 19" tesla wheels or others after you take delivery and use your stock 18s for winters . Heated steering wheel/subzero package etc. are nice but not necessary.

So if in the US that starts at $35,000 with those upgrades you're at $60,000 USD. Delivery adds another $1300 or so.

That gets a pretty awesome car for a pretty serious price of $61,300 USD. Converted to CAD today that's $78,250. Add in a pricing buffer for Tesla of $1750 and you're at $80,000 CAD.

If you pay 13% HST that's $90,000

Get your Ontario rebate if you're lucky enough to live in the land of 55% income tax, and you're at $76,000 for a model 3

Yes, used 85D could be a better choice. Autopilot 1 is better is another reason

A used 85D would cost about $90k after taxes. But for those that prefer the S and are looking at the 3 to get a deal, a used S is possibly better value. A little more luxury, spacious hatchback, possibility of XM radio and faster! Personally I prefer a smaller car. I was hoping the 3 would be even smaller than it is. Loved the size of my original 1st Gen A4. Both cars are expensive and are realistically frivolous luxuries. But, I had my A4 for 20 years so I get value from my cars. Buy the car you want. If you keep it long enough it's worth the price.

A used 85D would cost about $90k after taxes. But for those that prefer the S and are looking at the 3 to get a deal, a used S is possibly better value. A little more luxury, spacious hatchback, possibility of XM radio and faster! Personally I prefer a smaller car. I was hoping the 3 would be even smaller than it is. Loved the size of my original 1st Gen A4. Both cars are expensive and are realistically frivolous luxuries. But, I had my A4 for 20 years so I get value from my cars. Buy the car you want. If you keep it long enough it's worth the price.
yes, definitely more expensive to BUY....but when you sell it 5 years from now, I am pretty sure you'll have similar depreciation between the two, and that's your true cost of ownership.

The B5 A4 (1996-2002) you owned was around 176" long...similar to the new A3 lol. But the Model 3 is about 185" or the same as the B8 A4/S4/RS4 (2011-2017). I've owned B6/7/8 A4/S4/RS4 and know what you're saying...I loved the size of my B7 which was about 181" long. Tidy.

This is great. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks @eros. I didn't intend to share, I just copied a more limited US one. But I can make it usable for others. I'm updating it to be more of a template for your use, adding for example a local currency lookup for dynamic local prices.

I'm open to suggestions!

In progress:
tesla calculator screen shot.png

Thanks @eros. I didn't intend to share, I just copied a more limited US one. But I can make it usable for others. I'm updating it to be more of a template for your use, adding for example a local currency lookup for dynamic local prices.

I'm open to suggestions!

In progress:
View attachment 283690

Once again, great work. Also for anyone using this, they can just make a copy of it and save it into their own drive by selecting File -> Make a Copy, and then they can enter their own information :)

Reactions: jkirkwood001
I'm a little curious as to why you have the Destination/Doc Fee at 1750/C10? I could be wrong but it seems like the Destination/Doc Fee are $1000 USD for Model 3. Shouldn't that be 1000/C10? Or are there some hidden fee's that I am missing.

Good question, @eros. As this was based on my experience, "Freight & PDI" (recently renamed) is around CA$1,750 for many Canadian vehicles. I used this as the default. I realized today that dividing by the exchange rate would inflate it. I've since updated that cell to be what you recommend, i.e. US$1000/exch_rate. In any case, that cell is user updatable. Current version continues to be here.

To enable anybody to have the default values, I'm going to add a "Reset" button - I've just started experimenting with Google scripts; I'm experienced with Excel VBA, but this is a new beast ;)

If too many people access at once, I realize they'll conflict and be overwriting each other's scenarios - haven't figured out a better solution yet than recommending people just make a copy for themselves.

FYI, I've added a automatic chart to the current version:
2018-03-05 17_00_09-International Tesla Cost Estimator - Google Sheets.png

Good question, @eros. As this was based on my experience, "Freight & PDI" (recently renamed) is around CA$1,750 for many Canadian vehicles. I used this as the default. I realized today that dividing by the exchange rate would inflate it. I've since updated that cell to be what you recommend, i.e. US$1000/exch_rate. In any case, that cell is user updatable. Current version continues to be here.

To enable anybody to have the default values, I'm going to add a "Reset" button - I've just started experimenting with Google scripts; I'm experienced with Excel VBA, but this is a new beast ;)

If too many people access at once, I realize they'll conflict and be overwriting each other's scenarios - haven't figured out a better solution yet than recommending people just make a copy for themselves.

FYI, I've added a automatic chart to the current version:
View attachment 284533

Is it me or is the Premium Upgrade Package for the Model 3 ($5,000 USD) no longer present?

Are we talking about Model 3 here, will Model 3 go over 150,000CA$?

I said:

I bet that's cut in half -- or more -- by the time the Model 3 reaches Ontario.

Today it was cut in half to $75k.

The question now becomes will a LR AWD Model 3 have a base MSRP less than $75kCan? That remains to be seen. All other trim levels will qualify, except for the P, of course.

I said:

Today it was cut in half to $75k.

The question now becomes will a LR AWD Model 3 have a base MSRP less than $75kCan? That remains to be seen. All other trim levels will qualify, except for the P, of course.

I don't know how a Model 3 LR+AWD base without any option could MSRP more than 75K Ca$. It is clearly stated on the program guide today that options are not included in MSRP.