Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BYND Beyond Meat out of main

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting potential future BYND competitor, Meati, mushroom root based meat replacement, complete protein, few ingredients, slightly less sodium for those concerned about it.

Reactions: Bet TSLA and mspohr
Here's another fungus among us...

As she started thinking more about food, she noticed that a growing number of startups were beginning to use mycelium, the root-like part of mushrooms, to make plant-based meat alternatives for foods like chicken breast. She realized that mycelium also could be used to make a high-protein, low-carb flour for pasta, tortillas, and other foods typically made with wheat flour—options that would be far healthier, especially for someone with diabetes.

“We were saying, wait a minute, you’re calling that sugar water ‘wastewater,'” she says. “But we in the fermentation space are calling it feedstock. Why don’t we take your sugar water that you’re paying a ton of money to throw away?” For a brewery, paying for wastewater treatment can account for 20% of their operating costs; annual costs can be in the millions. Hyfé Foods plans to charge its partners for processing the water, but will save them money. At the same time, for companies producing mycelium, around half of the cost of production comes from buying sugar, and Hyfé can avoid that cost.

• Informative
Reactions: Bet TSLA and JRP3
A look at BYND. TLDR the author doesn't think it's a buy even at these prices. I've been thinking of dumping my shares and booking the loss, again, because though I like the concept I'm not seeing anything compelling in the near term to move the price higher.

• Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller
Not an investor in BYND here, but I do buy their products such as this morning at Costco a 2.5 pound freezer 10-pack at $12.79. That's only $1.28 for each 1/4 pound patty.

Sure, this is not among the healthiest vegan foods, but it is a great flexitarian vegan option. Some are concerned about sodium, but at 390mg/patty there is no need to add any salt. I just add ground pepper to season and make a burger sandwich with Ezekiel bread and the usual fixings. Easy to stay under 2000mg sodium/day.

Red meat consumption has long been associated with increased risk of diseases, such as heart attack and stroke. A recent study suggests that meat may not be so bad after all. Nevertheless, In this Mayo Clinic Radio Health Minute, Dr. Stephen Kopecky, a Mayo Clinic cardiologist, says that limiting red meat in your diet is still important for heart health.

your both right. Key word...........LIMITING

there are other issues with raising cattle, the vast negative impacts on the land and water,etc. Need studies and sources on that?

• Funny
Reactions: nwdiver and mspohr
I have tried the non Meat Burgers didn't like them. I'm willing to try non Meat Chicken and non Meat Turkey when it is available. Who ever can make non Meat Chicken Wings that taste like Bone in Chicken Wings will have a hit on their hands. Same with Ribs on the Bone. They could use a food safe product that won't melt in heat for the artificial Bone. How close are these companies to non Meat Fish., Shrimp and Lobster Tail and Crab Meat?

I have tried the non Meat Burgers didn't like them. I'm willing to try non Meat Chicken and non Meat Turkey when it is available. Who ever can make non Meat Chicken Wings that taste like Bone in Chicken Wings will have a hit on their hands. Same with Ribs on the Bone. They could use a food safe product that won't melt in heat for the artificial Bone. How close are these companies to non Meat Fish., Shrimp and Lobster Tail and Crab Meat?
Lol.. bone in chicken wings. "It's a feature, not a flaw".

The bones in chicken wings are what stop me from ordering them most of the time.

Lol.. bone in chicken wings. "It's a feature, not a flaw".

The bones in chicken wings are what stop me from ordering them most of the time.

Old habits die hard. A lot of people enjoy the experience of eating meat on a bone. Similar to how some people prefer eating corn on the cob. There's something satisfying about being able to pick up your food and gnaw on it a little.

Reactions: JRP3 and mspohr
Old habits die hard. A lot of people enjoy the experience of eating meat on a bone. Similar to how some people prefer eating corn on the cob. There's something satisfying about being able to pick up your food and gnaw on it a little.
Other people are disgusted by bones. Personally, I don't think I've eaten anything on a bone in nearly 40 years.

Reactions: mspohr