Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a M3 in the next 3 weeks. I have a few question for you experience folks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I rented a m3 for the day. I put about 120 miles on the car cruising the backroads. I think I am ready to buy. I am going for the Model 3 Standard Plus Rear-Wheel Drive —white.

I assume that the goal is to get the latest model from production. The dealership told me that they can do that by looking up the number to get the latest one oppose to the online page. Online will go out and search looking for one that is already available. Is he telling truth or bs? Are there any hidden dealership costs versus online purchasing?

On delivery of the vehicle what should I look for in terms of defects? If I find something like bad paint mark or door out of alignment should I not accept the delivery?

Thanks in advance for your reply

Reactions: Leafdriver333
Tesla is not like car dealer. So, there is no different you order online or talk with any one in the tesla store. However, some of time , they have demo car with good discount.

Yes, once you place the order, they will try to find one that they already build - Model 3 is not like model S and model X which is custom build. They will build in patch and match what your build is.

Let me know what Model 3 are you look fo? I can give you more detail.

You can check existing inventory of Model 3’s on the website to see if they have one in stock with your color and option preferences but at this point there is very little inventory left so it’s very likely that if you place an order online it will be a few weeks wait before they match you with a car. It will be the latest model and will come with the recently released V3 autopilot hardware.

If you plan to purchase autopilot the SR+ is a good option. If you don’t need autopilot you can order the $35K SR model by placing the order through a Tesla sales rep. They are almost identical cars other than 20 miles of range and a few minor items. The SR cost $4,500 less mainly because it does not come with autopilot as standard.

• Informative
Reactions: Leafdriver333
You can check existing inventory of Model 3’s on the website to see if they have one in stock with your color and option preferences but at this point there is very little inventory left so it’s very likely that if you place an order online it will be a few weeks wait before they match you with a car. It will be the latest model and will come with the recently released V3 autopilot hardware.

If you plan to purchase autopilot the SR+ is a good option. If you don’t need autopilot you can order the $35K SR model by placing the order through a Tesla sales rep. They are almost identical cars other than 20 miles of range and a few minor items. The SR cost $4,500 less mainly because it does not come with autopilot as standard.

Good info, thanks. I think I am going to get the SR+ In white, maybe red? I know that Tesla just upgraded the computer hardware. This was a huge leap from previous computer. I am just trying to understand the upgrades and battery changes. I want the opportunity to add functionality in the future as new and improve functionality becomes available.

All new model cars have the little quirky things that need to be addressed and fixed. The latest build the better as the factory implements upgraded production quality. Waiting for the vehicle really doesn't bother me much and 3 or 4 weeks is fine by me.

The tax credit gets cut in July so I think we will see a bit of a small surge of buying in late May early June.

Red or white? I like red a tad bit more but white hides the scratches, chips and dings much better.

Reactions: ModelX
The usual process for ordering a Tesla involves placing the order online (or at the store, in which case you just use their Internet to place the order online); then:
  1. If a car matching your specifications is available nearby, it's assigned to you and delivered within a matter of days.
  2. If not, a Tesla employee may contact you with an offer on a similar car. For instance, if you specify an SR+ with white paint, but there's no such car nearby; but if an otherwise identical car with red paint is available, Tesla may offer you the red car. They might even do so at the same price as the white car (red is normally pricier).
  3. If nothing remotely similar to what you specified is available nearby, or if you refuse such an offer, then your name goes next on the list to get a car matching those specifications for a shipment to your area. This shipment could arrive in a matter of days or take weeks. Tesla tends to deliver more cars late in the fiscal quarter than early, since they ship to distant markets early in the quarter (which takes time, so they arrive later in the quarter). This helps them on the balance sheet. The bottom line is that we're now in the second quarter, so delivery in this situation is likely to take a few weeks, but probably not over two months.
There are variants possible. If you're not picky about colors, for instance, you might pick out something acceptable from local inventory, either online or with the help of a salesperson at the store. You expressed an interest in getting a more recent car, and I see that Tesla's online "existing inventory" tool does show VINs, so you could search for a car with the highest VIN. (That might or might not mean it was produced more recently, though. I vaguely recall hearing that VINs are not assigned in order as the cars leave the factory, but rather to configurations as they're batched to be built.)

AFAIK, there's no difference in price for ordering online from your computer at home vs. ordering in-person at the store. That said, some people have sought out deals on demo cars -- those that have been used in test drives or as display cars in stores. Tesla sells those at a discount. They're still legally new cars in most jurisdictions, although they can have hundreds of miles on their odometers. (That's no different from buying a car off the lot, or in a dealer trade, from a traditional dealership; such cars are often test-driven before being sold, and in the case of a dealer trade will be driven between dealerships.) You'll probably have to talk to a salesperson to get such a car -- although you may be offered one as part of step #2, above. (I was.)

When you went to buy your previous cars, did you check the VINs to see when they were produced? Could they have been sitting in the dealer lot for 6 months?

Don't worry about it, just get a car and put this phase behind you.

Tesla, as they like to point out, works differently from other automakers. In particular, they make small incremental changes pretty much continuously, rather than saving them up for model-year changes. A Model 3 built today is different from a Model 3 built two months ago, which was different from one built two months before that. The differences are usually small, so I wouldn't worry about the difference between a month or two, or even six, in production time. As the age increases, though, the differences may be more important. Except for demo cars, you're unlikely to find anything in inventory that's more than two or three months old. The SR+ has only been in production for about two months (I don't recall the precise time, though).

One big change is HW3, which is replacing HW2.5. In case @Niroc doesn't know, HW2.5 is the Autopilot/FSD computer installed in most Model 3s. The latest production runs (starting about 2 or 3 weeks ago, IIRC) reportedly include HW3, which is a much more capable device. Thus, some people want to ensure they get HW3. That said, the advantages of HW3 at the moment are slim to negative -- some features haven't yet made their way to HW3. Moving forward, though, HW3 will be much better for full self-driving (FSD) functionality. OTOH, if you pay for the FSD package, and if your car comes with HW2.5, you'll get a free upgrade to HW3. Thus, the advantage of getting HW3 now is simply that you won't need to schedule a service visit, and you may get HW3-only features a little earlier. (Most people seem to think that a Ranger visit will be sufficient to swap the computer, so this should be a very minor inconvenience at worst.) If you don't buy FSD, then AFAIK there are no advantages to HW3, at least not now. It's conceivable there will be some advantage to it for non-FSD cars in the future, but that's speculative at best. Pick your crystal ball to figure out which way it goes.

If you don't buy FSD, then AFAIK there are no advantages to HW3, at least not now. It's conceivable there will be some advantage to it for non-FSD cars in the future, but that's speculative at best. Pick your crystal ball to figure out which way it goes.

Good point, and one that other forum members have strongly disagreed with in other posts. If you plan to purchase AP down the road but not FSD, will the Tesla software development team ever tap into the more powerful hardware in HW3 to make AP work better? I don’t know the answer, and neither does anyone on this forum unless they work on the software team. My personal experience with using AP on the congested freeways in Southern California is that it has much room for improvement.

But at this point why would you pick a car with V2.5 when for the same price you can get one with V3?

Good point, and one that other forum members have strongly disagreed with in other posts. If you plan to purchase AP down the road but not FSD, will the Tesla software development team ever tap into the more powerful hardware in HW3 to make AP work better? I don’t know the answer, and neither does anyone on this forum unless they work on the software team. My personal experience with using AP on the congested freeways in Southern California is that it has much room for improvement.

But at this point why would you pick a car with V2.5 when for the same price you can get one with V3?

I can’t tell from the quote when I made this statement (the link links to another unrelated thread). I don’t even know if this is my quote. Personally I would not currently buy a car with HW2.5.

I can’t tell from the quote when I made this statement (the link links to another unrelated thread). I don’t even know if this is my quote. Personally I would not currently buy a car with HW2.5.

How strange. It was @srs5694 that said this. I have no idea how your name was attributed to it. In any case, I think we both agree it makes no sense to buy a car with HW 2.5 now unless you get a discount for doing so.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
How strange. It was @srs5694 that said this. I have no idea how your name was attributed to it. In any case, I think we both agree it makes no sense to buy a car with HW 2.5 now unless you get a discount for doing so.
Still have 5 minutes to edit it! ;) Probably just some confusion with quoting since you quoted a different post of mine in a different thread and that header was still in the buffer if you cut some of srs5694s post out...easy to do.

Last edited:

If you do get the SR 35k model and later find out it's “missing a few minor items”...please don’t complain about it afterwards :rolleyes:

I think the white model 3s look amazing. (I have black and love it too). Save the extra $ from a red and use to put towards FSD or the 19” wheels. I have 18”s and love them but kinda like the look of the 19s.
Good luck with the purchase. My model 3 purchase is one of the best things I have ever done. Even though more $ than I would have thought reasonable, it has far exceeded all expectations.