Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buy EV in another state with No Sales Tax?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a sibling who lives in a state with no EV sales tax. I am in a state with EV sales tax. Would it be legal for my sibling to buy EV (with cash) with both of our names but I would actually use it in my state?

Yes, probably. Check your local laws to make sure.

I once had my mom buy a car on my behalf, because at the same time I was trying to get approved for the largest mortgage lenders were willing to offer. I didn't want that debt to appear on my balance sheet and reduce the mortgage amount. I paid the car off long ago, but never bothered to register it in my name. I'm "borrowing" mom's car even though it's insured by me. The other benefit was no DEQ requirement in the county mom lives in.

Any day now federal prosecutors will indict me for fraud, under-representing the value of my liabilities, and I'll have to pay half a billion in damages.:eek:

As an aside, it was no problem paying on the largest mortgage I could get despite my meager salary, because I got 3 roommates in that 4 bedroom house to pay it all, as was my plan all along. I've since moved, but still have tenants paying well over all costs, and the value has more than doubled in the 14 years.

• Funny
Reactions: BroncoAZ and acpd
The issue could be that in most states you must get a state license plate if staying more than 30 days, at which time they would collect sales tax. Police notice out of state plates in smaller towns, but you might get away with it.

In Washington state, a car registered in the state is assessed a tax, I believe based on weight. So even if one purchased the car in a state with no sales tax, Washington still imposes a tax.

I don't know the full details because I drove "mom's" car from out of state, which is perfectly legal. I did that for about 12 years.

Not sure where you are located, but here in CA they charge sales tax when a car is bought new in the state and a "use" tax when a used car is bought (either in-state or brought in from out of state). The use tax is equivalent to the sales tax rate.

So if I buy a new car here, I pay sales tax. If I buy a car from someone in AZ or OR or WA and bring it back into CA, I have to pay a use tax in order to register the vehicle. So the state collects an equivalent amount to the sales tax every time a car changes hands...

Reactions: acpd