Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Burnt plastic/rubber smell in the garage after preconditioning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This morning I was greeted by a burnt plastic/rubber smell while car was still preconditioning (plugged in). This is the first occurrence and have checked the charger and was not hot. The smell was coming from the front of the car and I am wondering if it can be a failed PTC or AC compressor from those that have experienced such behavior (Have not yet checked the service menu).

As much as I would like to change the car, a fire that takes down the house is not an option…

This morning I was greeted by a burnt plastic/rubber smell while car was still preconditioning (plugged in). This is the first occurrence and have checked the charger and was not hot. The smell was coming from the front of the car and I am wondering if it can be a failed PTC or AC compressor from those that have experienced such behavior (Have not yet checked the service menu).

As much as I would like to change the car, a fire that takes down the house is not an option…
Probably just one of the preconditioning units getting warm and melting off some fluid.

I had similar smell right when the battery heater did died. I noticed this in cabin as I had the outside. It halted my car as the internal failure was something that the car couldn’t handle. It was around €900 plus labor to change the unit one winter ago.