Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Burned by Tesla on idle fees. Something to know

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How about you just don't use the Supercharger as a parking place. You know how long its going to take to charge, just show up in time to unplug it.

Never said supercharging spots should be used for parking, just that drivers shouldn't expect to get idle fee notifications anymore. You should be thrilled at this update if you're for the discouragement of idling. Btw as I'm sure you know, simply showing up in time to unplug doesn't free up open spots. Tesla still needs to address both ICE idling and Teslas that park without plugging in.

...except for where there is no cell service, like Baker City, Oregon

...except for when the person who was paired with you unplugs, which increases your charging speed and shortens the time a lot.

Your insistence on trying to view everything as cut and dried is not working well.
Again, you should have some idea how ling it's going to take. Don't blame tech or other people on your desire to not have to be responsible for your own actions.

...except for where there is no cell service, like Baker City, Oregon

...except for when the person who was paired with you unplugs, which increases your charging speed and shortens the time a lot.

Your insistence on trying to view everything as cut and dried is not working well.

There is a way to ensure plenty of time to get back to your car, but it is less kind to your battery. Since I'd prefer to have the Superchargers used optimally, I'll not say what it is...
-Fermat

Tesla needs to enable V2G, declare the battery of your car as a "stationary" storage, and start drawing from it to charge the others. :)

That wouldn't help, as then they would have to unplug and replug to get charged so they could get to where they were going. It could also be considered theft, since they paid for that electricity and didn't authorize you to take it.

Good to know. I guess now it's best to unplug and move just in case when overnight charging at a hotel supercharger even if it appears to be a low use area.

I believe that Tesla does this not in order to make money on the idle charging, but in order to get the most efficient use of their Supercharger infrastructure.

So I expect it would make the idle charging even more popular if the Tesla App is improved so it can receive a real-time message from Tesla, that the owner's car is now incurring idle fees. The app should then try to get the attention of the owner, in the usual user-configurable ways that a modern smartphone offers.

The car itself knows that it is connected to a Supercharger and also knows when it stops charging. Its software could also be updated with a user configurable option, to attract the attention of its owner. The lights and horn that have a traffic-legal meaning may be out of bounds, but then there are lights inside the car that can flash.

Naturally, all this is just a work-around until the cars can move in and out of the Superchargers stalls themselves, with the snake plug plugging in and un-plugging as needed...

PS. Only noticed now that the first post is not about the recent increase, but about the 1st version of the idle fee and that there are 13 pages of posts... Apologies if this post is redundant...

Last edited:
...except for when the person who was paired with you unplugs,
which increases your charging speed and shortens the time a lot.
This seems to be a good point.

Why not selecting 100% charging, while you really want only 80%,
since charging between 80% and 100% will be performed at a slower rate.

This will give you a little bit more flexibility, if you cannot be back into your car when charging reach exactly 80%.

How about you just don't use the Supercharger as a parking place. You know how long its going to take to charge, just show up in time to unplug it.
The world isn't quite so black and white...unfortunately. I take it you've never arrived at a supercharger near your hotel at 2am knowing you have to get up at 7am and leave with a full charge. Yeah, you can get up at 3:30am and go out and unplug, but when there's nobody else there at 2am, the chances that your chosing to park there until 7am will prevent someone else from being able to charge in that 5 hour window is very small. Is this a common scenario...nah, is it a realistic one...you bet, it's been me, more than once. And I didn't feel bad leaving my car parked...slept like a baby.

There's being reasonable, an fair, and there's being pedantic.... to make this an absolute, is pedantic.

The world isn't quite so black and white...unfortunately. I take it you've never arrived at a supercharger near your hotel at 2am knowing you have to get up at 7am and leave with a full charge. Yeah, you can get up at 3:30am and go out and unplug, but when there's nobody else there at 2am, the chances that your chosing to park there until 7am will prevent someone else from being able to charge in that 5 hour window is very small. Is this a common scenario...nah, is it a realistic one...you bet, it's been me, more than once. And I didn't feel bad leaving my car parked...slept like a baby.

There's being reasonable, an fair, and there's being pedantic.... to make this an absolute, is pedantic.
Then suck it up and pay the fees.

What fees? There are no fees when you do end up being the only car there at the Supercharger station. I had a situation like @efusco mentioned back in February. It was 1AM in Goodland, Kansas and was 10 degrees outside at the Supercharger at the Holiday Inn Express. I was absolutely certain that it was going to stay empty overnight, and I was correct. But you know what? I still did charge for a bit that night, and then move my car for the overnight, and then charge more in the morning just to disappoint your false assumptions and accusations. :(

I considered just leaving it overnight, but decided not to so I could continue to play both sides of this particular debate, which I knew would continue. :D

• Love
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
I have supercharged over 1000 times total at 150 different stations. Having to wait is really a rare exception. The few times there was a line was the station just being too busy. Everyone needed to charge and left as soon as they were done. Most people waited in their cars. They couldn't wait to get going again. The few times I have seen people parked at a Supercharger well beyond charge time was at hotels overnight. It was literally the only car there.
What I'm trying to say is that people leaving their cars plugged in longer than needed is a very rare and based on my experience not a problem in the real world. We are barking up the wrong tree here thinking that's the issue that we need to fix.

The real problem is freaking free Supercharging. People want their free electrons and they are willing to wait in line for it.

There are no fees...and shouldn't be because nobody...let me repeat that... NOBODY was inconvenienced. Again, there is no reason to be so concrete. If people want to gamble in the middle of the day when the risk is higher that the supercharger will be more heavily used, then so be it, let them gamble and pay the fees. But it's ridiculous to apply a one-size-fits-all 'rule' that nobody should ever park at a supercharger.

There are no fees...and shouldn't be because nobody...let me repeat that... NOBODY was inconvenienced. Again, there is no reason to be so concrete. If people want to gamble in the middle of the day when the risk is higher that the supercharger will be more heavily used, then so be it, let them gamble and pay the fees. But it's ridiculous to apply a one-size-fits-all 'rule' that nobody should ever park at a supercharger.
What is better that the existing rule?

Well, we already know that that's not working. That's why we have the fees that are applied now.
The fees are for the situation where common sense and consideration were not applied...it doesn't mean that common sense and consideration can't be used. Thus my original point that being pedantic is not necessary. In situations where parking overnight or for extended periods of time don't violate the rules of common sense and consideration it is reasonable to do so.