Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bummer for those who paid for self drive.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i said this in another thread, but it bears repeating: if they try to do this, they will have the mother of all class action lawsuits on their hands. they advertised the car as having all the hardware needed to be fully autonomous, with the ability to add the software later for $4k or $5k (depending on when you ordered) to make that happen. to go back now and say "sorry, it costs $15k (or whatever price it may be) to add the necessary hardware to take care of this in addition to the software" would mean they sold the car initially based on blatant false advertising and under false pretenses.

it's not the customer's fault that elon over-sold the vehicle...it's elon's. legally i can't imagine how they could get out from under allowing any of us who didn't buy FSD at purchase to upgrade whatever hardware is necessary just by purchasing FSD for the $5k we agreed to when we ordered the car.
I don’t think they’re under any obligation to keep future prices the same as current prices. The price on the website is the current price.

Will FSD slow down to reduce impact when hitting the puppy or slam on the brake and let the car behind slam into the Tesla? Will the TeslaThe drive behind has a chance of not wearing his seat belt and could get hurt. What will FSD do?

You say this as if most humans would be able to analyze the situation and make the most logical decision in the split seconds they have to react (they would not). FSD does not need to be perfect, it just needs to be better than the average human - which, unfortunately, is not very difficult to beat.

Lots of smarter people at Tesla than me. Hope they can give the car better vision then a human and get FSD out soon, but just for example, everyone says the woman hit by Uber was walking across the street in an area not lit by light. Robot cars shouldn't need lights to see. Right now I think all Model 3s needs light to see. Can they go FSD in pitch dark? There are areas where I grew up had no street lights and lots of deers.

Here is another example where I think they need to solve before FSD can be approved.

What if a bunch of kids run across a street that has a speed limit of 50mph? They see a Tesla coming and stopped in the on coming side of the road, but their unleashed puppy didn't. Will FSD slow down to reduce impact when hitting the puppy or slam on the brake and let the car behind slam into the Tesla? Will the TeslaThe drive behind has a chance of not wearing his seat belt and could get hurt. What will FSD do?

If the driver behind hits the Tesla, it's the driver behind's fault and he has only himself to blame. If you can't stop in time if the car in front of you slams on the brakes, you're following too closely.

I don’t think they’re under any obligation to keep future prices the same as current prices. The price on the website is the current price.

when we bought the car, we had the option to either add FSD for $3k or in the future for $5k. that is what we agreed to. if they had said "you can buy it now for $3k or later for $15k," i (and many others) would have bought it for $3k. they have to honor the price that was in the agreement when you bought the car (which is why they were allowing people to add it for $4k even after they raised the after the fact price to $5k).

now, anyone who orders now that it's no longer an option...that's a different story entirely.

So rather than speculate it would be best for someone experienced at reading contracts to determine if Tesla is obligated to sell FSD at the “add later” published price at time of purchase?

The Model X had a add tow kit after delivery option. However the tow kit is out of stock forever so essentially it’s not offered anymore.

Also, what about inflation? $3000 in 2016 money is not the same as $3000 in 2020? Even if it doesn’t move THAT much it’s still a consideration.

Tesla might have something up their sleeves that they want to charge more than $5000 for AP3 post install.

The moves are confusing but if Tesla is acting rationally - it’s some combination of
- reduce financial liability
- reduce expenses
- make more money later

• Love
Reactions: vinny84 and Chewy3
Y’all realize computers are already controlling drillships, pipelaers, OSVs, Dive vessels, yaddah, yaddah, and have been for forty years. Dynamic Positioning. There are still accidents, some fatalities, tech keeps improving and governments seem fine with it.

All those things have a human who has ultimate control. Yes airliners virtually fly themselves but there is always a pilot to takeover when things go wrong. Should be the same with "self driving" cars.

Try to stop for the puppy, accelerate if about to be rammed, would be my guess. That's what I would train it to do at any rate. But it's not like you program these scenarios directly anyway. The car will do whatever it thinks is the safest option.

Depends if FSD is more like the Knight Industries Two Thousand (KITT) or Knight Industries Four Thousand (The TV movie in '91). KIFT? didn't stop for animal because, with the shielding, it will sustain no damage running it over. :p

• Funny
Reactions: PrGrPa
I think anyone who was offered FSD for $3K during configuration has very good legal standing to expect to purchase it at $4K (or $5K for some) once it is actually functional. Your configurator clearly gave you 2 choices to decide between. It said $3K now or $4K later. Folks made their decision based on that information. If Tesla wanted more flexibility then they should have written the configurator differently (ie $3K now or $4K if ordered later* *Note: Post delivery prices subject to change.). I believe that any reasonable jury would agree that a reasonable person could expect to add FSD afterwards for $4K.

• Disagree
Reactions: PessimiStick
Why would you have another Tesla in a few years? The whole point of these cars is that they do not get obsolete.

That's adorable. Also wrong. I don't care how high tech and cutting edge the technology might still be after a few years, it doesn't change the fact I'll want a new car. I'll be surprised if I have more than 50,000 miles on my Model 3 when I sell it.

Reactions: adaptabl
They essentially paid $3k for a computer upgrade and FSD. That will probably be a bargain compared to those who will pay for FSD in the future, especially for those who need a computer upgrade.
If this is what you say why not simply raise the price of FSD... that will pay for that hardware upgrade... if it’s designed to be retrofitable to begin with..

Tesla removing that feature off the menu cannot possibly be any good news..

I think anyone who was offered FSD for $3K during configuration has very good legal standing to expect to purchase it at $4K (or $5K for some) once it is actually functional. Your configurator clearly gave you 2 choices to decide between. It said $3K now or $4K later. Folks made their decision based on that information. If Tesla wanted more flexibility then they should have written the configurator differently (ie $3K now or $4K if ordered later* *Note: Post delivery prices subject to change.). I believe that any reasonable jury would agree that a reasonable person could expect to add FSD afterwards for $4K.
I could have bought Amazon at $500 but didn’t. Prices change. I think you’re out of luck.

IMO the over reliance on vision to do everything pretty much guarantees that FSD is many years away.

Look at basic things like blind spot detection. If they used a radar it would be trivial and we would see cars coming from a greater distance. I really wonder how making an automatic lane changes on a German autobahn works out in the current implementation.

A simple case in mind are the windshield wipers. Rather than using a basic $2 sensor to trigger them Tesla used vision. It is getting better but still not on par with what they could have achieved with a $2 sensor. And they probably spent a ton of money on additional software development.

EAP is still amazing.. but IMO it is mainly thank to the radar... but there is only one radar unfortunately. The cameras do an amazing work to detect the lane granted.

Another problem is the following: there are cars stopped at a light which is after a turn. In the current implementation it would cause an accident. To me something like this needs ultra precise GPS positioning (something the car doesn’t seem to have)

Another common problem is stationary object detection. It still isn’t working IMO (unless the stationary object is a car). Current implementation seems to be If the radar detects a stationary object then use the cameras to get the object... only if the object is recognized will the car stop.

So it won’t stop for a trash bag in my case last month for instance.

The stationary object case would be trivial to address with Lidar.

Seems to me a lot of problems would be easy to address with a hardware upgrade... but the only hardware upgrade.. IMO a major hardware upgrade which would not be retroffitable. The only hardware upgrade I have seen mentioned is some kind of faster processor...

I really fail to understand how a faster processor will address the simple problems highlighted above and I don’t think the “if humans can drive with their eyes so can computers” is a valid argument in the current state of artificial intelligence technology.

IMO the over reliance on vision to do everything pretty much guarantees that FSD is many years away.

Look at basic things like blind spot detection. If they used a radar it would be trivial and we would see cars coming from a greater distance. I really wonder how making an automatic lane changes on a German autobahn works out in the current implementation.

A simple case in mind are the windshield wipers. Rather than using a basic $2 sensor to trigger them Tesla used vision. It is getting better but still not on par with what they could have achieved with a $2 sensor. And they probably spent a ton of money on additional software development.

EAP is still amazing.. but IMO it is mainly thank to the radar... but there is only one radar unfortunately. The cameras do an amazing work to detect the lane granted.

Another problem is the following: there are cars stopped at a light which is after a turn. In the current implementation it would cause an accident. To me something like this needs ultra precise GPS positioning (something the car doesn’t seem to have)

Another common problem is stationary object detection. It still isn’t working IMO (unless the stationary object is a car). Current implementation seems to be If the radar detects a stationary object then use the cameras to get the object... only if the object is recognized will the car stop.

So it won’t stop for a trash bag in my case last month for instance.

The stationary object case would be trivial to address with Lidar.

Seems to me a lot of problems would be easy to address with a hardware upgrade... but the only hardware upgrade.. IMO a major hardware upgrade which would not be retroffitable. The only hardware upgrade I have seen mentioned is some kind of faster processor...

I really fail to understand how a faster processor will address the simple problems highlighted above and I don’t think the “if humans can drive with their eyes so can computers” is a valid argument in the current state of artificial intelligence technology.
DGPS is pretty good but can still be off by a meter. The differential signals are government controlled and can be shut off, or go on the blink. Many ships subscribe to different differential signals to have two chances of one working. The other notable issue, which is why visual can be better than GPS, is how confident are we that road locations are accurately documented?

So rather than speculate it would be best for someone experienced at reading contracts to determine if Tesla is obligated to sell FSD at the “add later” published price at time of purchase?

The Model X had a add tow kit after delivery option. However the tow kit is out of stock forever so essentially it’s not offered anymore.

Also, what about inflation? $3000 in 2016 money is not the same as $3000 in 2020? Even if it doesn’t move THAT much it’s still a consideration.
^^This

Unless its in your purchase agreement (it's not) they aren't required to honor the price of anything you did NOT purchase.

The tow kit is a prime example, as MXWing stated. Wheels are cheaper if you upgrade at time of purchase....however, there is no obligation to honor that price later. The price/cost of add-ons and accessories can change at any time. Tesla isn't locked into a price indefinitely for an option someone didn't purchase.

@xav- I've tried to make so many of the same points and been told a million ways I'm wrong from thousands of people that very likely aren't working in software, hardware, or vision system development fields. The rain sensor is such a classic example of overcomplicating something that had already been so widely developed. It was such a mess that it was even a point during a talk about Tesla's NN development.

I'm a proponent of lidar as well as vision and radar, but that war seems to have been lost within Tesla. The value of higher resolution, active emission sensors can not be understated. Adding that value to the radar and camera systems makes the entire suite so much more robust in the common case, and leaves headroom in the worst case. But again, this war seems to have been lost long ago.

The purpose built hardware, though, does solve for several cases Tesla is no doubt running into with their vision systems. Attempting to use common GPUs as neural nets is sub optimal to say the least, so building devices that are optimized for that purpose will allow Tesla to process more scene data more quickly. Detecting objects sooner with higher reliability and tracking them with higher granularity can help in corner cases where right now the algorithm isn't complex enough or processing enough data to get necessary detail. Basically, if you can use all cameras at full resolution, you get a big benefit. But current hardware is probably barely capable of that. Now add on text recognition and you're likely beyond HW2.5's capability. I could totally be overestimating the requirements of the NN here, but I doubt it.

And that's actually an argument against the "humans can drive with their eyes" point people try to make. Humans have very complex chains of thought that include creating future scenarios. So you know to drive slowly around a corner in a neighborhood because kids could be playing. A machine learning algorithm need to be trained for nearly every scenario it could find itself in, which is basically impossible to do before the system is released to the public. And even then, well after Tesla stops using shadow mode to learn and reinforce learning data, there are going to be scenarios that the system could have had no way to be prepared for. This is why humans are so vastly superior to machines (for now) and even other animals. Robots are good at not being tired, or risky, or getting road rage though. So again, in the common case they're likely already better drivers than us. But common case operation doesn't kill tens of thousands of people a year.

• Informative
Reactions: Matias and xav-
Are you sure about that? Impaired and distracted driving in "common case operation" are responsible for a good portion of the fatalities. Just eliminating those provides a huge win for AI over humans.

The common driver isn't impaired. The common case is a person, driving down a clear road during daytime. Which a computer can do just fine, as can a human.

The common driver isn't impaired. The common case is a person, driving down a clear road during daytime. Which a computer can do just fine, as can a human.
Given that we're talking about the safety and effectiveness of alternate drivers, it makes no sense to include the condition of the human driver in whether or not you are talking about "common case". Some human drivers driving down clear roads during daytime are impaired or distracted. No AIs would be. It's a clear difference that will save lives, possibly many lives.