Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brake lockup overnight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was having a problem with my 2019 MS with the brakes not releasing when the car was put into reverse after being parked overnight. I checked around and could not find a solution. Even the service center said it was just how it worked. The car moves so fast when the brakes did release I almost made contact with the garage. I found that after stopping with the brake and then just gently taping the accelerator pedal the brakes release, then just put it in park. The cars brakes are not engaged, but is in park. The next day you back up and there is no brake lock. Pass it on.

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
I have a similar problem with my 4 month old Raven X. I do what the OP suggested but still have a problem. Even if I switch into Park while the car is still moving very slowly as soon as the car stops and goes into hold mode the brakes are applied (I can hear them clunking). Maybe switching off hold would avoid this?

Hi Tonybvi,
Mine is a Raven S and I have the hold enabled. It could be that you hold the park on too long. If you do the parking brake is set. A lot of people don’t know that there is “park” a quick push, a “PARK” by holding it in longer. If you hold it in longer a red icon will show up on the dash. This is used for hills. I hope this helps!

Hi Tonybvi,
Mine is a Raven S and I have the hold enabled. It could be that you hold the park on too long. If you do the parking brake is set. A lot of people don’t know that there is “park” a quick push, a “PARK” by holding it in longer. If you hold it in longer a red icon will show up on the dash. This is used for hills. I hope this helps!

So, you think the parking brake is applied only if you hold the Park button on the shifter?

I wonder if the newer cars are different from my 2015 Model S in this regard. If I press the Park button on the shift lever a second time, and hold it as you describe, the "Park" icon does indeed show up on the screen. But there is no additional noise. The car is already in Park with the brakes on, so I do not know what else would happen. I can tell the brakes are on because mine will "stick" when they have been put away wet, just as the OP described.
Plus the manual says so:
"The parking brake automatically engages when you shift Model S into Park, and releases when you shift into any other gear."
I did what I believe was a thorough review of the November 2019 Model S Owner's manual, looked at all the entries related to "parking brake," and found no mention of holding the button longer to do something other than to put the car into park, along with the brake.
Also, if you look at the center screen while doing this, on the page where you can manually apply the parking brake, the message stays the same whether I just press the button, or hold it for a prolonged period.
So, at least in my car, the parking brake is apparently applied whenever I put the car into Park, regardless of how long the button is held. The only time something different happens is when you put the car into Neutral and apply the brake using the button on the screen.