Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brakes sticking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When it rains or snows and I park the car overnight, the next morning, the brakes seem to be stuck to the car. This is in both rain and snow. I have to press the accelerator and it makes an awful clink noise (the brakes getting unstuck). I checked the pads and brakes, everything looks fine, very little wear. Should I not be concerned with this? Should I not press the accelerator to release the brakes? Any suggestions?

There are multiple threads about this. It's not just related to Tesla, I've had other ICE cars that would also do this if I parked them in my garage when it was wet and let them sit for several days. It all has to do with moisture on the rotors/pads leading to rusting and the pads sticking to the rotors. EVs do tend to be a little more prone to this by the fact that the regenerative braking greatly reduces if not eliminates most of the use of the friction brakes.

If it bothers you, what you can do is when it's wet, do a few aggressive stops using firm application of the vehicle brakes, not just regen braking. This will heat up the rotors to help evaporate the water off. Or just realize it's normal and don't worry about it.

Reactions: brainhouston