Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bolt EV EPA range = 238 miles combined!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Electronic Precision Shift"
This means Bolt has a transmission with multiple gears? I'm sure it's written down somewhere else in the forum, but can somebody confirm this is the case? If not, what's it shifting?

"Regen on Demand (tm) Steering Wheel Paddle"
This will probably appeal to non-Tesla drivers, as it's a natural continuation of what they're used to. Foot of the "gas", you coast, if you want to slow down with regen, you use the paddles. I imagine there will be some regen on the foot lift as well, just not as much.
Bolt drivers won't know what they're missing being able to do a one foot driving. It certainly caught me by surprise the first two minutes of driving a Tesla, but now I wouldn't give it up for anything...
Bolt has 1 foot driving if you put it in L mode.
"Electronic Precision Shift"
This means Bolt has a transmission with multiple gears? I'm sure it's written down somewhere else in the forum, but can somebody confirm this is the case? If not, what's it shifting?
I am pretty sure they are saying the shifter is electronic and not connected by cable at all. As far as anyone is aware the Bolt only has 1 gear.

"Regen on Demand (tm) Steering Wheel Paddle"
This will probably appeal to non-Tesla drivers, as it's a natural continuation of what they're used to. Foot of the "gas", you coast, if you want to slow down with regen, you use the paddles. I imagine there will be some regen on the foot lift as well, just not as much.
Bolt drivers won't know what they're missing being able to do a one foot driving. It certainly caught me by surprise the first two minutes of driving a Tesla, but now I wouldn't give it up for anything...

The Bolt will have several modes of regen.

Put the gear selector in D, and it will act like an automatic trans ICE. Regen is done mainly through the brake pedal, and a little when you lift the throttle. The car will 'creep' at a stop. You can use the paddle also to get a lot of regen with your fingers, which is handy for going down steep grades.

The paddle becomes so addictive that when you get into an ICE, you will find yourself grabbing for the paddle on grades and before corners.

Put the Bolt into L and it switches to One Foot Driving. The throttle pedal becomes the main regen device, but the paddle and brake pedal will increase regen. The car will come to a complete stop if you lift your foot from the accelerator.

So you can go from Old School to New Age at any time, or use a combo of both.

I'm basing this on reading and how a paddle equipped Volt works.

So, if the Premier trim follows the Volt pricing, it'll probably be a $4500-5,000 option. Assuming it's $5,000k that makes the base Premier $42,500, and would also not include the active safety features like the Volt.

It appears you could get the upgraded battery in the M3 for that same cost...or add AWD...or AP and some other goodies...

The Bolt also appears to follow the Volt in that you can't get active safety features except on Premier...and you have to pay ~$1,000.

Last edited:
So, if the Premier trim follows the Volt pricing, it'll probably be a $4500-5,000 option. Assuming it's $5,000k that makes the base Premier $42,500, and would also not include the active safety features like the Volt.

It appears you could get the upgraded battery in the M3, for that same cost...or add AWD...or AP and some other goodies...

The Bolt also appears to follow the Volt in that you can't get active safety features except on Premier...and you have to pay ~$1,000.

Premier trim starts at $41,780, INCLUDING destination charge. Premier trim includes CCS fast charging port, leather seats, heated front and rear seats, surround view camera, and driver's confidence I package (Side blind zone alert, lane change alert, rear cross-traffic
alert, rear park assist)
Only 2 options for the Premier trim are the driver's confidence II package (Forward collision alert, low-speed front automatic braking,
lane keep assist with lane departure warning, front pedestrian braking, IntelliBeam headlamps) and infotainment package.

Great, it still seems like you could get the upgraded battery...or the other things I mentioned...

Pretty sure everyone in this thread talking up the Bolt made it clear that range was probably more important than the leather seating option. Also, where was the CCS port discussed as standard on Premier?

And moderate speeds. GM chose a route to guarantee no one would get less than 240 miles to a charge. Let's see stop and go traffic, plus highway driving.
I have driven that route several times. It is close to level, speeds are 30 to 50 at the most. In my Model S I score the lowest watts per mile I ever get. About 260.

Great, it still seems like you could get the upgraded battery...or the other things I mentioned...

Pretty sure everyone in this thread talking up the Bolt made it clear that range was probably more important than the leather seating option. Also, where was the CCS port discussed as standard on Premier?

Insideevs and Greencarreports both have it as standard for the Premier trim.

• Informative
Reactions: JohnSnowNW
So, $42,600 for the Premier Bolt that allows you to drive it outside of your city?

That money would buy a nicely optioned M3, as well.

No, it won't. You cannot buy an M3, or I'd have ordered it. But then again, they won't take orders for the Bolt yet either.

The Premier will have bird's eye view and 180° rear view mirror.

The Bolt will allow us to do deliveries and pickups from San Diego to Los Angeles without charging. This covers over 50 cities or about 20 million people. We are located in the middle of SoCal.

So, $42,600 for the Premier Bolt that allows you to drive it outside of your city?

That money would buy a nicely optioned M3, as well.

Perhaps AP ($3k?) and Supercharging ($2.5k?) and a non black/white color ($1k). Toss in the $1,200 destination charge, and we're at $42.7k.

Of course when would someone get a 3 built to those specs delivered? Whole different question.

No, it won't. You cannot buy an M3, or I'd have ordered it. But then again, they won't take orders for the Bolt yet either.

The Premier will have bird's eye view and 180° rear view mirror.

The Bolt will allow us to do deliveries and pickups from San Diego to Los Angeles without charging. This covers over 50 cities or about 20 million people.

Yes, yes, you can't buy either...currently.

An M3 will have AP and Premium interior for ~$40k...

I mean, the mirror in the Bolt is neat and all...but I think AP is probably a better buy.