Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW selling DC chargers to jump start a charging network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ecarfan

See BMW Launches Its Answer to Tesla’s Supercharger Network | Autopia | WIRED

The article is reasonably accurate regarding EVs and charging and Tesla compared to BMW.

BMW is not building out a charging network in the same way Tesla is. They are simply offering a SAE Combo 1 type 24kW DC charger for $6,548 to their dealers and to "authorized partners" like NRG eVgo, a private EV-charging company, which says it will install at least 100 around California.

So there is really little comparison to what Tesla is doing. It's a rather feeble attempt by BMW to increase charging options for i3 owners. BMW is not putting any serious resources into it. I am not impressed.
While the i3 is not a long range car, I hope that in a few years BMW will launch a much longer range EV and it will need charging options when away from home.

Last edited:

There's already a thread about that charger here (BMW/Bosch will offer $6548 CCS DC Charger plus free evGO DC charging through 2015). The linked article is interesting, though, because it really just swallows the BMW PR without any analysis or explanation. All of the real pertinent issues that should be covered (how is this different from CHAdeMO, which cars will be able to use it, etc) are simply ignored.