Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blueshift's Fund - Supercharge.info

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The timing of this thread is amazing. I actually haven't used supercharge.info much in the past. Maybe a couple of times. But I was aware of what it did. I have a project at work where the development need is very similar to what he has built. Just today (before seeing this thread), I half-joked with my team that I am considering contacting him to see if would be interested in working on something for us. If none of my team members can do it, I just may reach out!

P.S. I'm gonna throw a few bucks into the pool also. I love supporting great efforts on behalf of our community.

Thanks everyone for continuing to contribute (I like that word better than donate since we are really contributing to the cost of something we use - "donate" seems more of a gift or charity). After doing some research, I believe Blueshift may have to pay tax on the money he/she receives. In addition, GoFundMe takes 30 cents plus 7.9% of each transaction. With that in mind, I went ahead and upped the goal to $1500. With the fee and any taxes Blueshift may have to pay, he/she should still net around $1000. If it turns out that no taxes have to be paid (which would be HARD to believe), so be it. Besides, we are already up to $1250. Only $250 to reach $1500 and then I will begin working on transferring the account to Blueshift so he/she can withdraw the money directly. Whether we make it to $1500 or not, I will probably stop the campaign Monday evening sometime.

Agreeable to everyone?

Thanks everyone for continuing to contribute (I like that word better than donate since we are really contributing to the cost of something we use - "donate" seems more of a gift or charity). After doing some research, I believe Blueshift may have to pay tax on the money he/she receives. In addition, GoFundMe takes 30 cents plus 7.9% of each transaction. With that in mind, I went ahead and upped the goal to $1500. With the fee and any taxes Blueshift may have to pay, he/she should still net around $1000. If it turns out that no taxes have to be paid (which would be HARD to believe), so be it. Besides, we are already up to $1250. Only $250 to reach $1500 and then I will begin working on transferring the account to Blueshift so he/she can withdraw the money directly. Whether we make it to $1500 or not, I will probably stop the campaign Monday evening sometime.

Agreeable to everyone?
Has Blueshift even indicated he's willing to accept the contributions? I'd be happy to contribute if that question has been answered.

BTW, the overhead GoFundMe is charging is outrageous, but that ship has sailed and doesn't affect my willingness to participate.

Has Blueshift even indicated he's willing to accept the contributions? I'd be happy to contribute if that question has been answered.

BTW, the overhead GoFundMe is charging is outrageous, but that ship has sailed and doesn't affect my willingness to participate.

Yes, I have had direct contact with Blueshift and he has promised to use the money to keep the site up and running for everyone to use (as he has been). He is very thankful for what everyone has done. It's always nice to be appreciated. Though, we all still need to keep in mind that we are not paying Blueshift to maintain the site, we are only covering his expenses and maybe a small gesture of appreciation. There is no expectation that Blueshift would need to answer to us, or implement anything we ask for. Basically, to sum it up, he doesn't owe us anything. I'm not directing those comments at you, it just seemed like a good time to make that clear to everyone. Blueshift is still doing the site on a voluntary basis - just to be clear.

As far as the fee, if you do a search on crowd funding web page reviews, you will see many reviews. In my research, GoFundMe was always in the top 3 overall. And, believe it or not, their fee was tied for the lowest. Some charged over 10%. Keep in mind that the 30 cents plus 2.9% is nothing but the credit card fee. That is out of their control. They charge a flat fee of 5%. When you consider the overhead of running a webpage like that, 5% is not excessive at all. Ebay, though not in the same business, but similar in that they charge people a percentage of money collected, charges sellers 10% of the selling price, and they still lose money. So, I don't think we could have done much better than 7.9%. Possibly if we had done it straight to his paypal account - but then everyone would have had to do a cash payment to avoid the credit card fee.

If we decide we need to do this again for Blueshift or anyone else, we can talk about sending money straight to his/her paypal account. But, that doesn't allow people to see the contribution amounts or the total. Nonetheless, we can talk about that next time.

Not to downplay the cause at hand, but people also might want to think about donating to evtripplanner.com - they have received a whopping 197 donations. Seems like there's a bit of a free rider problem in Tesla land.

And yes, I've donated to both, and I don't even on a Tesla (well, yet, anyway).

Thank you for doing all this homework and for making reasonable terms clear to all.

Alan

Yes, I have had direct contact with Blueshift and he has promised to use the money to keep the site up and running for everyone to use (as he has been). He is very thankful for what everyone has done. It's always nice to be appreciated. Though, we all still need to keep in mind that we are not paying Blueshift to maintain the site, we are only covering his expenses and maybe a small gesture of appreciation. There is no expectation that Blueshift would need to answer to us, or implement anything we ask for. Basically, to sum it up, he doesn't owe us anything. I'm not directing those comments at you, it just seemed like a good time to make that clear to everyone. Blueshift is still doing the site on a voluntary basis - just to be clear.

As far as the fee, if you do a search on crowd funding web page reviews, you will see many reviews. In my research, GoFundMe was always in the top 3 overall. And, believe it or not, their fee was tied for the lowest. Some charged over 10%. Keep in mind that the 30 cents plus 2.9% is nothing but the credit card fee. That is out of their control. They charge a flat fee of 5%. When you consider the overhead of running a webpage like that, 5% is not excessive at all. Ebay, though not in the same business, but similar in that they charge people a percentage of money collected, charges sellers 10% of the selling price, and they still lose money. So, I don't think we could have done much better than 7.9%. Possibly if we had done it straight to his paypal account - but then everyone would have had to do a cash payment to avoid the credit card fee.

If we decide we need to do this again for Blueshift or anyone else, we can talk about sending money straight to his/her paypal account. But, that doesn't allow people to see the contribution amounts or the total. Nonetheless, we can talk about that next time.