Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blue Star Wish List

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What do we know? Elon has said the Bluestar will be a smaller version of the Model S. It's been said many times that it will compete with the BMW 3 series. The other thing said is that they want it to start at $30K. It's next after the Model X.

Assumptions (but very likely): Different pack sizes. Probably three like the Model S for more versatility and choices. They'll probably stick with Signature and Performance versions. Lots of options similar to the Model S like the tech package and a panoramic roof (I'd bet this will cost more in the Bluestar). The base model will have a higher range than the Leaf of 2015. Barring a new super battery, the starting range will be less than 200 miles and likely around 125-150 EPA rated miles. Quick charge for largest pack and maybe for the middle size pack for a fee just like the S. It will still be labelled a premium car. They will have learned a lot of lessons from the Model S and X and most of the annoying things will be gone (lack of cup holders, etc).

That's all I can think of for now...

TEG brings up a good point. Elon increasingly talks about affordability for the Gen 3. To be mainstream I would like to see Gen 3 be in $30ishk range (after tax credit if that is still available) with the 6oKWh pack. Tesla has stated battery prices are decreasing by 7-8%/yr which if true will help off set the larger pack. Added costs like folding mirrors would be nice as long as they are optional. BMW Series 3 is just the right size.
-Good performance (doesn't have to be great) >6 seconds 0-60
-250+ range base model
-hatch back (adds versatility)
-Quick charge

I don't think they are mutually exclusive. Look at the 3 series. It starts at or below $30K and goes up over $70K ish. You can get a bare bones with no options cheaply or a really nice loaded car. I happen to want the really nice loaded car. If Tesla does not offer it I will go elsewhere sadly. They want to be a great car first and I am all for it !!! Lets see the money :)

Didn't Elon say 20 or 25 percent smaller?

Is that mass, weight, dimensions, seating, distance, features, speed?

Bill Clinton Urges Focus on Clean Energy While Musk Admits to Tough Times at Tesla

"Musk said that if margins improve, Tesla would begin making "a couple of 100,000 units" of its 3rd generation car with a $30,000 sticker price and 20%-25% lighter than the Model S."

Differnet interview:

"It would be quite similar to the Model S but scaled down. Probably about the size of a BMW 3-series or an Audi A4."

And to answer Kevin:

I'd also expect there will be a luxury package available in the Model S 2.0 and the Gen III.

Bill Clinton Urges Focus on Clean Energy While Musk Admits to Tough Times at Tesla

"Musk said that if margins improve, Tesla would begin making "a couple of 100,000 units" of its 3rd generation car with a $30,000 sticker price and 20%-25% lighter than the Model S."

Differnet interview:

"It would be quite similar to the Model S but scaled down. Probably about the size of a BMW 3-series or an Audi A4."

And to answer Kevin:

I'd also expect there will be a luxury package available in the Model S 2.0 and the Gen III.

Yes I understand start with the basics done right and build up. I think that was the right choice for TM but it is not for me. I hope there will be a really good luxury package on 2.0 and G3 and you are right !!

my dream car, malibu size, 17" wheels, moon roof. a model with all the goodies, 100 kwh batterie pack, and premium cloth seats like they used to put in toyota 20 years ago. 10" screen. that would push you back in the seat.

Well the rest of us do not need our standards to be lowered !!! LOL Just kidding :)

with a smaller tesla frame than model s i think its possible to have the same interior space and storage as a camry. but the gen 111 could be up to 20" less in total length than the camry, fusion, and malibu, and 10" shorter than the c class, and 3 series. it could still have the same wheelbase as all 5 at 110" and the same width. this would be possible by moving the passengers forward, keeping the steering wheel and getting rid of the column and all the rest of the old fashion steering mechanism , and having remote steering with self alighning front wheels. the savings on 20" of materials is huge plus all the weight loss. :biggrin:

- - - Updated - - -

Well the rest of us do not need our standards to be lowered !!! LOL Just kidding :)

with a smaller tesla frame than model s i think its possible to have the same interior space and storage as a camry. but the gen 111 could be up to 20" less in total length than the camry, fusion, and malibu, and 10" shorter than the c class, and 3 series. it could still have the same wheelbase as all 5 at 110" and the same width. this would be possible by moving the passengers forward, keeping the steering wheel and getting rid of the column and all the rest of the old fashion steering mechanism , and having remote steering with self alighning front wheels. the savings on 20" of materials is huge plus all the weight loss. :biggrin:

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

sorry im not to good with the computer, it must have been that extr year of education i had going thru the 12th grade twice. have fun.

Art. It's true that with Tesla's skateboard drivetrain that they could change their design to futuristic styles. It's my impression that won't happen. Tesla cars still look like cars that people are used to. I, for one, am glad they are because going to "odd" shapes and designs will only lower their acceptance.

Art. It's true that with Tesla's skateboard drivetrain that they could change their design to futuristic styles. It's my impression that won't happen. Tesla cars still look like cars that people are used to. I, for one, am glad they are because going to "odd" shapes and designs will only lower their acceptance.

i think they could keep the same shape by shrinking the dash board down by a foot or more . from the inside bottom of the windshield out to the steering wheel is 2'6" on my camry. -6" from the post, -6" from the dash, one foot is a lot of room.

You won't reduce cost by a significant amount if you trim the car by 1 foot. Daimler learned that lesson with the Smart car. The bulk of the money goes into drivetrain, safety equipment (ECC, airbags, crash sensors), electronic assistance systems, aircon, seats, and so on -- all of which are not affected by vehicle length.

I definitely prefer the current "traditional" styling over something more futuristic. In fact I think it would look even better with 3 series proportions, since IMO the Model S looks slightly elongated. I'd definitely prefer a smaller car, but I'm sure they're going to keep it sexy:
Tesla mockup.jpg

Here is what I want...

$30k-$35k base price
could care less about the touchscreen
200+ mile range
17" wheels with aero option
cheap non-leather seats
RWD

As you can see I just want the battery range, but I think it is an important part of the Tesla brand to have the gadgets.

1. I expect the base price to be $30K after the tax credit.
2. It will have a touchscreen but not as big.
3. I doubt the base model will get 200+ miles. One upgrade in pack should do it just like the Model S. I'd expect $40K for 200+ miles. If we're really lucky and the tech and math allows it then $37,500.
4. 17" wheels seem about right. By then they might have an aero wheel option. Whatever vendor was supposed to make them for the S totally flaked out.
5. Sure thing on the seats.
6. It all depends on how they design the skateboard. I'd bet the answer is yes for RWD.

I wonder if they'll do the pop out aero door handles. I'm sure it will come down to cost.

Agree that it is doubtful the base price gets 200+ miles but close would be good. I would like to see Supercharging option on the low end battery pack. Not sure I see this happening though since model S owners don't have this option with the 40kwh pack.

Agree that it is doubtful the base price gets 200+ miles but close would be good. I would like to see Supercharging option on the low end battery pack. Not sure I see this happening though since model S owners don't have this option with the 40kwh pack.

I agree. I don't see Supercharging for a low end pack on the Gen III unless there is a technology breakthrough.

They've set their strategy and I expect it to be very similar to the Model S. Big pack and Sigs for free, extra fee for mid-range pack, and unavailable at the low end. For the mass market car I wouldn't be surprised if only the Sigs get free and the big pack has a fee too.

Don't disagree but why is 180 the magic number?

The car has to be able to reach the next supercharger and still be able to charge. They are distanced about that far apart. Not only that, but the supercharger will throttle down it's charging amps as the battery fills to rated capacity. This will inevitably prolong the charging session beyond a reasonable stop and go.