Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blue Origin: Future Plans

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I re-watched that video. It’s amusing that BO acts like it alone is inventing reusable rockets, particularly given that New Glenn was designed just a few years ago with a non-reusable 2nd stage.

I remain skeptical of the feasibility of asteroid mining on a large scale, to say nothing of the scale required to build just one functional O’Neill cylinder which would require many megatons of metal. To extract material from asteroids, crush it, separate it, refine it, and then turn it into structurally useful metal will require vast amounts of energy and massive automated factories in the belt. And then you have to move all that finished material to the location where you are going to use it. Unfathomably large amounts of delta V required. If you move the raw or refined material to someplace like the Moon and do the manufacturing there, then you have to launch it back into space, same issue.

And once the cylinder is built you have to finish the inside of it and then actually make it functional and maintain it. The pretty fantasy images in the video are, in my opinion, just fantasies. And I say that as someone who spent much of my childhood reading Clarke, Asimov, Bradbury, Niven, Andersen, Dick, and others and enjoying them all.

It seems much easier to build human habitation on the surface of Mars; a stable environment where structures can be created using much less energy to build them and they will be simpler to maintain and expand. Of course it will still be an extremely challenging enterprise. But I think mining asteroids to build O’Neil cylinders is likely orders of magnitude more difficult.

I re-watched that video. It’s amusing that BO acts like it alone is inventing reusable rockets, particularly given that New Glenn was designed just a few years ago with a non-reusable 2nd stage.

Math doesn’t check out here. Stepping past whatever dubious agenda is behind the dismissive presentation:
  • There’s clearly no intimation from Blue that they alone are responsible for reusable rockets, unless one applies extreme bias to Blue’s use of “we”
  • There’s clearly no intimation that Blue invented reusable rockets
  • While obviously not part of the subject vid, it’s worth noting that Blue is in fact the first entity to completely reuse a rocket that’s been to space…
It seems much easier to build human habitation on the surface of Mars; a stable environment where structures can be created using much less energy to build them and they will be simpler to maintain and expand.

It’s important to not conflate visions or timelines here—Blue is clearly presenting a very generational, long term vision for space. It should be obvious that’s much more aspirational than the nearer term “set up shop on mars” concepts; applying a culture-of-no type analysis is pretty unwarranted.

If we try to better apples-to-apples the concepts:
  • For a very long time it will be significantly easier to develop (and expand) a habitat in earth orbit or on the moon than an equivalent sized/function one on the surface of Mars. The proximity to earth is by far the major factor; its 10+ times easier to get material from earth to LEO than to Mars.
  • There’s really no difference in the level of effort required to actually extract and refine resources from any extraterrestrial body—for a very long time all of the equipment to do so will originate on Earth, and see above on moving material.
  • The major difference in total difficulty of extraterrestrial mining is location/distance. After the moon, NEOs are the logical next step, as many are much easier to access than Mars.
  • The delta V required to get to an object in the asteroid belt from earth is actually not that different than the surface of Mars from earth (and potentially less than Mars, depending on how you do the math). The landing burn onto Mars’ surface is a huge ∆ V suck vs simply circularizing a transfer orbit to Ceres or whatever.

Interestingly, one of the longer term visions out there for space mining is to move material from rich deposits in the belt to Mars (vs earth) since Mars obviously is much closer to the belt. You’d need habitats not unlike Blue is visioning to do that…

Reactions: Grendal
Blue selected for Artemis 5 HLS

Competition is good. Successful development of Starship and/or the Blue Moon lander will instill a sense of urgency within both companies. I don't have faith believing NASA's Artemis 5 declaration is any kind of a lock for BO's HLS. That comes with a lot of assumptions. As with Boeing's Starliner and SpaceX's Dragon 2, whoever is safe and ready goes to the moon...Bezos versus Musk...could be lining up for a lunar version of Capture the Flag.

Reactions: Grendal and mspohr
Bezos versus Musk
I understand the appeal of suggesting that it's a personal race between two men, but it does irk me to say that it's a face off when some fifteen thousand people in the trenches are the ones actually making it happen. The two men are certainly the motive force behind the financing and the vision - critically important - but the process of achieving the technical objectives lies with the troops. Blue Origin vs SpaceX.

Bezos versus Musk...could be lining up for a lunar version of Capture the Flag.
I don’t see it that way. NASA wants more than one service provider for the lunar lander for flexibility and to encourage competition and innovation (my reading of their process). SpaceX is the obvious first choice based on its history of successes and current human spaceflight capability. The second choice was less clear, but a choice has been made.

This isn’t a case of “may the best man win” (to use an outdated sexist phrase). It is almost certain that the first two human landings on the Moon in this century will be made with the lunar version of Starship.

For now, I’d just like to see BO actually reach Earth orbit. Doesn’t look like it will be this year…

Reactions: mspohr and Watts_Up
“We’re making an additional investment in the infrastructure that will pave the way to land the first humans on Mars,” NASA Administrator Bill Nelson said in announcing the Blue Origin award.

Umm....

The last few years there's been several instances of both personal and company rocket competition. I think most people see these as friendly feuds..... Elon and Tony Bruno, jabbing on Twitter about SpaceX's FH versus ULA's Delta IV....Elon and Boeing CEO Dennis Muilenburg over who will be first to land on Mars....The Boeing Starliner versus SpaceX's Dragon 2.... Elon and Bezos poking at each others claim of having produced the first reusable Space booster.....BO and SpaceX demonstrating radically different HLS. It's all good serious competition....and public fun.

It's hard to predict or ignore how the MSM runs with these feuds. We can now all see the benefits of the commercialization of Space, so let the chips fall as they may. It was only two years ago that NASA was still sticking to their declaration of a human walking on the moon before the end of 2024. As this decade ticks away, I want whatever it takes to get back on and off the lunar surface....safely. To quote Elon responding to Muilenburg on Twitter......"Do it!"

From that article:
explaining NASA’s selection, wrote that Blue Origin’s plan featured “compelling” strengths such as two uncrewed pathfinder missions in 2024 and 2025, early-stage technology maturation, excess capabilities of the lander itself, and a “reasonable and balance” price. He mentioned just two weaknesses in Blue Origin’s bid, noting an issue with its plan for communications during flights as well as “numerous conflicts and omissions” in the company’s schedule.
I wonder what this means:
early-stage technology maturation
And is there any information available regarding how much payload the BO lander can deliver to the lunar surface? Seems like it would be far less than what the lunar Starship plans to achieve.

Also, I’ve read that the BO lander will also require an in-orbit propellant depot, like Starship.

I wonder what this means:
How quickly the group is solving problems in the early going.
And is there any information available regarding how much payload the BO lander can deliver to the lunar surface? Seems like it would be far less than what the lunar Starship plans to achieve.
Blue Moon is supposed to be able to land 20 tons for the cargo variant in a reusable mode. If expended, 30 tons. Starship HLS is supposed to be able to land 100 tons in reusable mode. If expended 200 tons. For comparison, the Apollo Lunar Lander cargo variant was designed to deliver 5 tons to the lunar surface in an expendable mode.

The original Artemis minimum requirement was to deliver 865 kg and then return to orbit.

Note that I'm speculating a little on the reusable and expended modes of Starship HLS. Aarti Matthews, HLS program manager, said 100 tons without qualification, and Wikipedia says 100-200 tons. I'm interpreting that to mean reusable-expended.

The original Artemis minimum requirement was to deliver 865 kg and then return to orbit
Really? That’s just two people and a few hundred pounds of supplies. Doesn’t seem right.

Thanks for the BO and Starship payload numbers. I read criticism online of lunar Starship about how many refueling flights will be needed to get it out to the Moon, but the critics seem to fail to appreciate how many tons it is capable of delivering, which is a massive amount compared to BO.

New article by Eric Berger about the BO lunar lander.

While Blue Moon looks a little more conventional than SpaceX's massive Starship vehicle, it nonetheless will require an immense amount of technological development.

For example, liquid hydrogen propellant must be kept at near-absolute zero temperatures to prevent it from boiling off. This is difficult enough on Earth, but still more so in space where there are incredibly variable thermal conditions in and out of sunlight. Typically, rockets that use liquid hydrogen fuel in their upper stages must complete all their planned firings within a day or less before this fuel boils off.

Couluris said Blue Origin has been working to make hydrogen a "storable" propellant for long periods. "If you can make hydrogen storable, then you can do a number of things," he said. "It opens up the rest of the Solar System."
Good luck with that! And SpaceX will face a similar though not as difficult a challenge in keeping it’s propellants stable during the time on the lunar surface.

“Couluris said Blue Origin has been working to make hydrogen a "storable" propellant for long periods. "If you can make hydrogen storable, then you can do a number of things," he said. "It opens up the rest of the Solar System."

Good luck with that! And SpaceX will face a similar though not as difficult a challenge in keeping it’s propellants stable during the time on the lunar surface.

Yeah, I do wonder how BO will keep hydrogen liquid for long periods. Maybe it’s just a matter of continually using some fuel to run the machinery to keep it cooled.

Really? That’s just two people and a few hundred pounds of supplies. Doesn’t seem right.

Thanks for the BO and Starship payload numbers. I read criticism online of lunar Starship about how many refueling flights will be needed to get it out to the Moon, but the critics seem to fail to appreciate how many tons it is capable of delivering, which is a massive amount compared to BO.

New article by Eric Berger about the BO lunar lander.

Some interesting quotes from the Source Selection Statement:

Blue Origin plans to fund and execute pathfinder lander missions in 2024 and 2025, to land on the Moon to mature several critical, lowTRL technologies three years before the Sustaining Lunar Development (SLD) uncrewed demonstration mission by demonstrating lunar lander components, subsystem designs, and system behaviors
So.. within the next year and a half? To land on the moon? Really?

...the plan to launch duplicate landers for the 2027 uncrewed flight test and 2028 crewed demonstration missions ...
And human missions in 4-1/2 years. Ostensibly, their lander will require New Glenn, which has yet to make it's first test flight. And it will not only debut, but will be human rated in that time, despite discussion here of a reusable system like Starship needing 50+ flights before being human-rated?

Blue Origin’s Integrated Master Schedule (IMS) contains numerous conflicts and omissions. The Volume 3 Management proposal states that Blue Origin’s “…schedule management approach is anchored by the program IMS, a single source of truth for the whole team;” however, the IMS has numerous conflicts and omissions, which is a weakness of their proposal. I have some concern with this aspect of the proposal and view it as a potential schedule management process weakness for integrating disciplines, Integrated Product Teams (IPTs), and/or subcontractors, and contrary to the stated “single source of truth” intent of the IMS. These flaws in the IMS increase the risk that deliverable deadlines may be missed due to incorrect documentation and increases the risk of confusion across the contractor and NASA teams as multiple delivery dates are documented or missing.
Oh. Well maybe those timelines are a tad optimistic.

• Funny
Reactions: Grendal and mspohr