Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog 2012/09/10 - additional stereo settings?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A highly functional equalizer with various settings that are seen on top end stereo systems would be nice.
Having the ability to customize sound system settings would make the car that much more attractive to
new buyers.

+1

I've requested these sorts of settings and more. I have a friend who is a THX Certified Level II Technician who I plan to have do a professional evaluation and optimization of my S' audio system.

It would be nice for him to have controls like those found in most AVR's to work his magic.

I spent about an hour in the local demo S playing a mix of different genre's and concluded overall I liked Dolby OFF and bass setting -3 dB.
(iTunes over Bluetooth)

Ken

+1

I've requested these sorts of settings and more. I have a friend who is a THX Certified Level II Technician who I plan to have do a professional evaluation and optimization of my S' audio system.

It would be nice for him to have controls like those found in most AVR's to work his magic.

I spent about an hour in the local demo S playing a mix of different genre's and concluded overall I liked Dolby OFF and bass setting -3 dB.
(iTunes over Bluetooth)

Ken

Awesome. If you can share what settings he recommends, that would be great. Thanks.

@contaygious: Ya, some of it is a matter of taste, and some of it varies by the material. And for all we know with these early examples, each one may be rather unique. I liked the Dolby processing in some instances but would leave it off by default. I find that often the case that the best sound comes from removing as much processing as you can.

@dsm363. Will do. Of course that will be awhile! I just hope they will make available the controls that must be there for bass management, x-over points, and fine equalization. It's probably already there, but only the engineers know how to access them.

I think a professional review of the system will really help it to be one of the best systems out there. (for this $$$ it should be)

I'm still wondering why the amp is 580W. That's enough power to run my Kuro Plasma that dims the lights when I turn it on! They should have been able to start with 95dB@1Watt speakers and acheived "11" sound levels with less than 100W. (was thinking it would have been cool for Tesla to team with Klipsch, the high efficiency speaker company, like Lexus teamed with Mark Levinson etc...)

But I value sound quality over efficiency so as long as the end product has the sound I"m looking for I'll be happy. I'm certainly encouraged by what I've heard.

The stereo really needs more granularity. 11 steps is not enough. It is cute that it goes to 11, but if 11 is going to be the top, it needs to get there by half or even better quarter steps.

I think half steps would be more than enough. That is 22 levels, I doubt my Leaf or VW has more levels than that. Have too many levels and steering wheel volume adjustment take too many clicks instead.

If it's like the Alpine on the Roadster, it goes to 30 I think but is already blasting at 18. Not very well done. I would think going up by 0.5 would be fine and keep the joke intact.
That might be enough.

BTW, even the difference between 1 and 2 was a big jump in the car today. Granted there's a "near zero" effect at play for those numbers, but I figure it's worth sharing.