Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blackvue DR650 download script help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently installed a blackvue in my Model S and I've been trying to find ways to download the files over wifi. Apparently you could just FTP into the 500 series, but that loophole has since been closed as far as I could tell. I've tried a few solutions to varying degrees of success so I was hoping some of the more code saavy members could help me figure things out.

I'm not claiming credit for anything so here are the links where I found things. For ease, I will refer to the contents of the links by their numbers:
1) GitHub - morrisonbrett/BlackVueDownloader: BlackVue Downloader - Download video files from your BlackVue camera over http
2) Dashcam Hacking
3) Download Blackvue 650 files directly to Laptop via WIFI (Page 1) / Blackvue DR650GW-2CH / Blackvue UK Forum

Link 1 was my first clue that such a thing was possible. I downloaded the exe version and tried to run it, but got the following errors. I've PMed Brett to see if he can help with that, but I'm open to suggestions if anyone else has them:
c:\blackvue>BlackvueDownloader.exe 192.168.1.131
BlackVue Downloader Version 1.0.0.1488

Unhandled Exception: System.Exception: One or more errors occurred.
at BlackVueDownloader.PCL.BlackVueDownloader.QueryCameraForFileList(String ip)
at BlackVueDownloader.PCL.BlackVueDownloader.Run(String ip)
at BlackVueDownloader.Program.Main(String[] args)

I know that I have the right IP address on my network from before. I was trying to use the instructions from link 3 to download the files, but I couldn't find the camera IP when I connected directly to it's wifi. Instead, on my home network I was able to identify it using the MAC address and kinda follow the path of the user on link 2. (In my case the camera is assigned to 192.168.1.131) I was able to view the camera live feed and even find the file list. Eventually I was able to use wget to download a file once I had the filename. I was able to edit the .bat from link 3 and get it to PING the right IP, and even curl the right filenames. However, when I try to run the actual downloader it seems fixed to the failed default IP of 192.168.8.1. with the appended filenames from the working curl command. I can't find where to edit that part but I'm assuming it's in one of the other .exe files that it queries? It seems pretty nifty because it would dump the video and GPS files into the "data" folder and then you can view/edit with RegistratorViewer (which is conveniently included in the zip the user created).

Even if I got this option to work, I'm not quite sure how I would only download stuff I want (e.g. yesterday and today). Ideally, I would want it to ask for a date range or something, but for now i'd definitely be happy with just getting the files

@STbreaker - If I understand correctly you're saying the exe is hard coded and points to a fixed/static IP (192.168.8.1) and you would like a version that points to your static IP. If that's correct have you tried a binhex app to see if you can find and change it yourself?

@STbreaker - If I understand correctly you're saying the exe is hard coded and points to a fixed/static IP (192.168.8.1) and you would like a version that points to your static IP. If that's correct have you tried a binhex app to see if you can find and change it yourself?

That would be an accurate description. I need technical help with how to search and possibly edit the exe. Do you know of a free binhex app that can show editable code and not just the actual hex/binary?

I guess it would also suffice if there was a way to have a .bat set the IP for the link 3 downloader when it makes the wget. But again, that's a little beyond my abilities alone

That would be an accurate description. I need technical help with how to search and possibly edit the exe. Do you know of a free binhex app that can show editable code and not just the actual hex/binary?

I guess it would also suffice if there was a way to have a .bat set the IP for the link 3 downloader when it makes the wget. But again, that's a little beyond my abilities alone
There's several free ones if you Google it. Usually they will show the ASCII characters you're looking for in one column and the hex in the other so you can edit either side. It's been years since I hacked an exe so the products I used are likely outdated. Good luck and let us know if you succeeded.

Request for some insight. I can access the camera default web server page either by directly connecting to the 650s WIFI AP or by accessing the IP address on my home network that the 650 uses to connect to the cloud. However, i can only access 192.x.x.x/blackvue_live.cgi by connecting directly to the 650's wifi AP. The cgi page is not accessible when using the home network IP address.

I prefer to utilize the home network IP address so that I can run the download script on a home server without trying to figure out how to directly connect to the cameras AP network while staying connected to my home network.

Any input is appreciated.

Request for some insight. I can access the camera default web server page either by directly connecting to the 650s WIFI AP or by accessing the IP address on my home network that the 650 uses to connect to the cloud. However, i can only access 192.x.x.x/blackvue_live.cgi by connecting directly to the 650's wifi AP. The cgi page is not accessible when using the home network IP address.

I prefer to utilize the home network IP address so that I can run the download script on a home server without trying to figure out how to directly connect to the cameras AP network while staying connected to my home network.

Any input is appreciated.

There's a way to bridge the 2 networks, but you would still need a dedicated WiFi adapter to connect to the camera's Ad-Hoc network, and understand how to create routes at the network layer to connect the 2 networks.

There's a way to bridge the 2 networks, but you would still need a dedicated WiFi adapter to connect to the camera's Ad-Hoc network, and understand how to create routes at the network layer to connect the 2 networks.
Gosh, its' a lot to ask, but it would be SUPER helpful, especially to new owners such as myself, to have a simple clear overview of the networking relationships between the blackvue, one's iOS/Android phone, and the Tesla itself. Does the Tesla not have its own cell-based data connection? To use "blackvue on the cloud" it seems one has to establish a Wi-Fi connection between phone and dashcam -- can the Tesla act as a Wi-Fi hotspot? If not, can one use the Wi-Fi hotspot capability of the iPhone? Sorry for my confusing newby questions, but I'm still confused as to what hardware/software is required if one does not leave the home Wi-Fi running 24/7, or it does not reach the parked car, or one is parked at night away from home, and one wishes to communicate with the dashcam. Thanks in advance to anyone helping to shed more light on this...

Gosh, its' a lot to ask, but it would be SUPER helpful, especially to new owners such as myself, to have a simple clear overview of the networking relationships between the blackvue, one's iOS/Android phone, and the Tesla itself. Does the Tesla not have its own cell-based data connection? To use "blackvue on the cloud" it seems one has to establish a Wi-Fi connection between phone and dashcam -- can the Tesla act as a Wi-Fi hotspot? If not, can one use the Wi-Fi hotspot capability of the iPhone? Sorry for my confusing newby questions, but I'm still confused as to what hardware/software is required if one does not leave the home Wi-Fi running 24/7, or it does not reach the parked car, or one is parked at night away from home, and one wishes to communicate with the dashcam. Thanks in advance to anyone helping to shed more light on this...

The Tesla cannot be used as a hotspot as they don't support this feature. I talked about the cloud feature in this video in my Acura but the setup is the almost the same as my X. You can use your phone as a hotspot or simply connect to the dashcams local network

• Helpful
Reactions: berkeley_ecar
I've been using the blackvue downloader. However, it seems lime it is taking a long time each time. Yesterday, using it for the first time it downloaded 30 gb and today despite me having parking mode off and not doing that much driving it's taking like 5 hrs again. I don't think this has to do with download speed. It appears to be spending a lot of time looking at the files it downloaded yesterday and then deciding that file already exists.