Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Black seat issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just make sure the clear take isn’t shipping tape. With heat from
The seat heaters or even just being parked in the sun the adhesive from the tape won’t be fun to get off. Painters tape and just look under every so often or maybe scotch tape. Or even clear plastic food wrap and punters tape around edges might be best.

Reactions: Transformer
One way to diagnose is to put some clear tape on the seam (after cleaning it), if it is oozing from the seam, then it will be on the underside of the tape, not on top.

If it's a defective seat, it's a bit weird for it to happen to the replacement seat also (that's probably why SC balked).
Thank you/ this is a fantastic idea! Maybe lightweight clear sticky tape so it doesn’t damage the seat when pealing off ?
And true regarding your second point however if there’s a flaw in the adhesive stuff they’re using that could explain it ? Because 10000% I didn’t do anything to make it happen myself I don’t even touch the area in question and it started doing it on the passenger seat in a place no one touches also

Just make sure the clear take isn’t shipping tape. With heat from
The seat heaters or even just being parked in the sun the adhesive from the tape won’t be fun to get off. Painters tape and just look under every so often or maybe scotch tape. Or even clear plastic food wrap and punters tape around edges might be best.
Thank you. Thinking a light weight clear sticky tape as we call it in Australia ?

Most people (including mechanics) are not great at debugging problems. A great approach is to:
  1. Brainstorm possible causes (glue leaking through the vegan leather material? something from clothing wiping onto the seat? something dripping onto the seat? ...).
  2. Brainstorm tests to rule out some of these possible causes. E.g. replace parts that might be bad. Or consider that possible cause X (something dripping?) would also cause symptom Y (moving the seat would make the drips fall in a different location; putting a sheet over the seat would catch the drips) so if Y is not happening, we can rule out X. If new seats were leaking glue, there are likely to be reports of this in the service database, and a kind of glue that can leak weeks after manufacturing would be a stunningly bad choice for manufacturing.
  3. Do tests, usually starting with the quickest, least expensive, or least invasive tests. [Doctors, are you following?] The X => Y reasoning can rule out some hypotheses by just inquiring about symptom Y. [Feynman "fixes radios by thinking."]
  4. Iterate.
Auto mechanics often latch onto the first possible cause that comes to mind, and they often rely just on replacing parts for testing. Also they're incentivized to act quickly.

So if a mechanic says "It's the seat. I'll replace it." that is not "an admission by Tesla that they make bad seats", it's just one mechanic getting the actual problem diagnosis off of his/her plate.

And if the mechanic and the customer start arguing about the problem, people will get defensive, dig in, and get even further from the creative work needed to debug the problem.

[Edit] In addition to doing your own testing, you might want to start afresh with a different Service Center or at least a different mechanic.

Thank you/ this is a fantastic idea! Maybe lightweight clear sticky tape so it doesn’t damage the seat when pealing off ?
And true regarding your second point however if there’s a flaw in the adhesive stuff they’re using that could explain it ? Because 10000% I didn’t do anything to make it happen myself I don’t even touch the area in question and it started doing it on the passenger seat in a place no one touches also
Lightweight tape is packing tape, which someone up thread warned against (I personally have no experience with it used on the seats). I guess the concern is the adhesive melting in the heat and leaving a sticky mess.

If you are worrying about it being too sticky, you can use painters tape (you may have to peel off to check occasionally, given it is not clear). I have used it (the blue scotch painters tape) on the dashboard and various areas and it doesn't leave a residue even in the blazing heat (although I haven't tried it directly on the seats).

If this is an experiment that only needs to happen overnight (you say it does in one post) then maybe even something non-sticky like plastic wrap will work, given you don't have to worry about it shifting off. For larger surface areas, you can probably get a roll of plastic sheeting at a local hardware store (should be fairly inexpensive for the thinner ones) and cover the whole seat. That will eliminate all external contact.

If you intend to take the results up with the SC, you probably should also take pictures and document the process.

Last edited:
Reactions: Transformer
I just realised they can just say that I put the tape on top of the white stuff and that they can’t prove it wasn’t put there when there was on white stuff (given they’re already denying it’s the seat I can’t see them just accepting it even if documented )😑 thought it was a great idea though

Hi there. I got a 3 long range and within 2 weeks of having it my black seats started peeling and flaking this white spot in a part of the seat I don’t have any interaction with. It looked like the white stuff was coming through the stitching. Tesla replaced it under warranty and admitted it looked like the stuff was coming through the stitching when they opened it up. Now less than a month later it happened again and Tesla are now saying it is my fault from chemicals or whatever as they “haven’t seen this before” (I searched and have seen there seems to be a lot of issues with the vegan seats). They cleaned the seat and said they won’t replace it again even though since they cleaned it it’s leaking white stuff already! Recently it has started oozing stuff through the seams and it has mainly been my driver seat but now the Passenger seat is doing the exact same thing after a friend sat in it for a day. My friend thinks it’s the pressure of someone sitting in the seat having the material come through the stitching. I’ve looked it up and seen people have similar issues. As Tesla won’t replace it and are blatantly saying it is my fault despite the evidence pointing to the opposite I am considering legal action. Anyone else had this same issue ? So disappointing and the worst customer experience I’ve ever had.
I'd press the issue

I one noticed something similar on my Audi A7 seats. Mostly headrests but also other areas. It was by leave in hair conditioner which I didn’t wait to dry before leaving for work.
I don’t use anything like that on my hair I wash and shampoo as normal standard products , no dry shampoo no leave in conditioner no perfume no sunscreen no nothing , it’s so frustrating when people say this because as they owner of the car I know it’s 10000% none of the above. I am so vigilant if I sanitise my hands I won’t even touch the steering wheel until I’ve washed it off wirh soap and water

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
I was going to say washing detergent, drying sheets…hmmm…and it does look like some sort of lotion residue as my wife causes this once and awhile with even hand cream. Not saying it’s this but it’s quite similar to some sort of external layer.

Suggest you just place a towel on your seat or a seat cover for a week instead of actual tape if you don’t want to risk damaging the seat material with tape adhesive sticking.to it afterwards.

I’d recommend a brand new towel, not something washed at home. Just to eliminate any possibility of a home based chemical.

Alternatively you can go the way of ordering a seat cover and enjoy a different colour at the same time :)

I was going to say washing detergent, drying sheets…hmmm…and it does look like some sort of lotion residue as my wife causes this once and awhile with even hand cream. Not saying it’s this but it’s quite similar to some sort of external layer.

Suggest you just place a towel on your seat or a seat cover for a week instead of actual tape if you don’t want to risk damaging the seat material with tape adhesive sticking.to it afterwards.

I’d recommend a brand new towel, not something washed at home. Just to eliminate any possibility of a home based chemical.

Alternatively you can go the way of ordering a seat cover and enjoy a different colour at the same time :)

Yeah seat covers have been suggested, thank you for putting this link these look fantastic and good quality And seem to get great reviews, I might order some white ones to mix it up and save me from the stress of my recurring issue 😆 frustrating that I hve to pay to fix a issue i know is not my fault but am not getting anywhere with Tesla , even though when they replaced the seat in the first week of me owning the car they even admitted the white was coming from the stitching adhesive when they opened it up 🤷🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️