Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Black Onyx Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ModelXBoy I don't think there was anything you could have done to get the car faster. You can see my configuration below. When I started seeing others post their VINs and I hadn't had one assigned, I started making calls. I spoke to several SC and TM direct. All assured me that the delay was NOT because of the black wheels. I did change from 7 to 6 seats and I again asked if I changed to any size wheel, would I be able to get the car sooner. My DS called Freemont and called me back later. He assured me that wheels were not the issue. So, I have kept the black wheels. It now appears that the wheels are not the issue and that something bigger is happening in Freemont. If this delay is to fix all of the horrendous production issues that Founders and Signatures have documented, I am glad my car has been delayed and hopefully I won't have to reject the car at delivery for misaligned body panels and other inexcusable issues.
I really regret for choosing the black onix wheel at time of configuration. I really think if i choose the 22 inch silver, i should already receive a VIN and an estimated delivery time by now. Damn it!

ModelXBoy I don't think there was anything you could have done to get the car faster. You can see my configuration below. When I started seeing others post their VINs and I hadn't had one assigned, I started making calls. I spoke to several SC and TM direct. All assured me that the delay was NOT because of the black wheels. I did change from 7 to 6 seats and I again asked if I changed to any size wheel, would I be able to get the car sooner. My DS called Freemont and called me back later. He assured me that wheels were not the issue. So, I have kept the black wheels. It now appears that the wheels are not the issue and that something bigger is happening in Freemont. If this delay is to fix all of the horrendous production issues that Founders and Signatures have documented, I am glad my car has been delayed and hopefully I won't have to reject the car at delivery for misaligned body panels and other inexcusable issues.

Here is the reason why Tesla words can not be trusted. I also called Tesla like crazy and they did told me the Black Onix wheel will be delayed. Possibly to September. I have no idea what to believe but this is what i heard.

- - - Updated - - -

I have created a new thread based on VIN and confirmation date. Please go check. There is someone who confirmed after me already gotten a VIN. Configuration is very similar with exception of the black wheel. I am almost certain the Black wheel is the reason why my car is delayed.

There are at least four threats open related to Black Onyx wheels. Is the thought that having multiple threads on the same subject will resolve the problem. We have know for three weeks that those who order black onyx wheels cars don't progress into pre-production. In addition, a forum user spoke to someone at Freemont and reported several weeks ago there is a sourcing issue for these wheels and it will be at least this summer before the issue is resolved. It sounds like now it may be September. I can tell just creating more threats isn't going to make this problem go away. We all also should know by now the DS at your local SC are kept in the dark and no very little information. What would help the most is if everyone would update ModelXTracker.com with complete and accurate information. Then we would able to spot these types of issue faster.

- - - Updated - - -

@MikeJr74

How long to you think it will take the Orlando SC to fix my headlight problem?

Well, I just got off the phone and was kind of discouraged. I was told my vehicle is being delayed another month. When I pushed back, they said, okay it is now delayed two more months. I started to say something, and they rudely stopped me and asked if I wanted it to be three more months out. Wow.
Here is the reason why Tesla words can not be trusted. I also called Tesla like crazy and they did told me the Black Onix wheel will be delayed. Possibly to September. I have no idea what to believe but this is what i heard.

- - - Updated - - -

I have created a new thread based on VIN and confirmation date. Please go check. There is someone who confirmed after me already gotten a VIN. Configuration is very similar with exception of the black wheel. I am almost certain the Black wheel is the reason why my car is delayed.

they must feel empowered after the big story of Musk outright canceling a customers car order for the X. threatening to push your order back, because you are asking questions as to the delay? That's rubbish! Elon and the rest of management needs to get their stuff together.
If this is how they treat you guys who spend $100k imagine the way they will treat the Model 3 customers!

There are at least four threats open related to Black Onyx wheels. Is the thought that having multiple threads on the same subject will resolve the problem. We have know for three weeks that those who order black onyx wheels cars don't progress into pre-production. In addition, a forum user spoke to someone at Freemont and reported several weeks ago there is a sourcing issue for these wheels and it will be at least this summer before the issue is resolved. It sounds like now it may be September. I can tell just creating more threats isn't going to make this problem go away. We all also should know by now the DS at your local SC are kept in the dark and no very little information. What would help the most is if everyone would update ModelXTracker.com with complete and accurate information. Then we would able to spot these types of issue faster.

Sounds like we need a threat-analysis. ;-)

Yes, that was a joke. I assume that @MikeJr74 was also joking regarding the ever increasing delay.

Well, I just got off the phone and was kind of discouraged. I was told my vehicle is being delayed another month. When I pushed back, they said, okay it is now delayed two more months. I started to say something, and they rudely stopped me and asked if I wanted it to be three more months out. Wow.

Wow, all i say is WOW! This is ridiculous! I wonder Tesla people are now tired of res holders keep calling asking for same thing over and over with no answer. But this kind of customer service is terrible for a 130K purchase!

Yes. My VIN was assigned 12/23 00024x. The car is 'in production' and my sales guy told me in mid Jan that it was 'done' so I strongly suspect it's waiting on manual fixes. I'm hoping those will happen soon! I'm so eager and trying hard to be patient after 40 months of waiting!

Just received a reply from my DS requesting the impact of changing 22in onyx wheels to 22in silver (configuration is P90DL fully loaded 6 seat)

"Changing to the silver 22’’ inch rims would slate you for an early 2016 delivery, versus a mid- 2016 delivery"

What is the general opinion? I would have the silvers powder coated ($275 rim) the color code corresponding to the onyx. My guess is the "mid 2016" is more like September and early 2016 is April or May.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, I just confirmed the change. Let's see what happens.

Just received a reply from my DS requesting the impact of changing 22in onyx wheels to 22in silver (configuration is P90DL fully loaded 6 seat)

"Changing to the silver 22’’ inch rims would slate you for an early 2016 delivery, versus a mid- 2016 delivery"

What is the general opinion? I would have the silvers powder coated ($275 rim) the color code corresponding to the onyx. My guess is the "mid 2016" is more like September and early 2016 is April or May.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, I just confirmed the change. Let's see what happens.

That should do it. Or one can get aftermarket rims. I'll wait when the ramp up is really going before making my decision.

That should do it. Or one can get aftermarket rims. I'll wait when the ramp up is really going before making my decision.

Hi we are on the same page here. Both of us confirmed the Model X on 1/4. I too have P90DL with black wheel, switched to 22 silver with $500 for early delivery. What is your reservation number and date if you don't mind me asking. Thanks

Are you in production yet? I am in the same boat, similar VIN and havent heard anything.

No, not that I am aware. Again, I am not too worried about it as there are not a lot of other X's in pre-production. It just doesn't make sense to me to have something silly like rims hold up production, opposed to deliveries. If there were quite a few X's in production, I would be able to get onboard with the wheels being a problem, but since there are just generally low production numbers I think the delay is something that is common to the vehicle and not an option. Given the documented trouble with FWD (lawsuit with Hoerbiger) it seems like that is much more likely. General QA issues would hold production for all vehicles (as we have seen), not something small like an option. It is not likely Tesla would announce QA issues which would affect their share price, so letting a black rims conspiracy continue, or rather not kill it, is letting the Red Herring it is gain them as much time as possible.
I try to keep in mind there is quite a bit at stake for Tesla to deliver as many as they can as soon as they can. They want that too.

Great points, very true. One thing that has started to assuage my concerns about the rims is that there were a number of them on test drive cars that the press was able to access such as Tesla’s Model X is finally here, and I got to drive it | The Verge

Hopefully you are correct, certainly logical. However, I think there still may be a supply issue for some people configuring now, given that some people in the design studio said picking black rims delays until summer. And I still think it's strange why certain people are in production and others aren't. I actually think I've been more 6 seat configs delivered than 7.

At this point, only time will tell, Tesla certainly isn't divulging any information.

No, not that I am aware. Again, I am not too worried about it as there are not a lot of other X's in pre-production. It just doesn't make sense to me to have something silly like rims hold up production, opposed to deliveries. If there were quite a few X's in production, I would be able to get onboard with the wheels being a problem, but since there are just generally low production numbers I think the delay is something that is common to the vehicle and not an option. Given the documented trouble with FWD (lawsuit with Hoerbiger) it seems like that is much more likely. General QA issues would hold production for all vehicles (as we have seen), not something small like an option. It is not likely Tesla would announce QA issues which would affect their share price, so letting a black rims conspiracy continue, or rather not kill it, is letting the Red Herring it is gain them as much time as possible.
I try to keep in mind there is quite a bit at stake for Tesla to deliver as many as they can as soon as they can. They want that too.

Great points, very true. One thing that has started to assuage my concerns about the rims is that there were a number of them on test drive cars that the press was able to access such as Tesla’s Model X is finally here, and I got to drive it | The Verge
This has been discussed ad naseum already, these are NOT the 22" wheels that are coming on the production cars. These are custom one off 21" wheels that were on Elon's personal car and only on for the day of the reveal and press drives.

Cheers!

So you are telling me every single shot that's been taken of the model X with black rims is Elons? There was a white one with black rims too. Perhaps you are correct, but seems like they have "dummy" cars with the black rims - which to me mean they can make them / they exist.. Tesla Model X Sightings and Spy Shots Gallery

This has been discussed ad naseum already, these are NOT the 22" wheels that are coming on the production cars. These are custom one off 21" wheels that were on Elon's personal car and only on for the day of the reveal and press drives.

Cheers!

So you are telling me every single shot that's been taken of the model X with black rims is Elons? There was a white one with black rims too. Perhaps you are correct, but seems like they have "dummy" cars with the black rims - which to me mean they can make them / they exist.. Tesla Model X Sightings and Spy Shots Gallery
Sorry. No. The spy shots of "mules" with black wheels are of the base 20" wheels that look to be a matte black. Best guesses were that those were just painted black to hide the fact that they were a new wheel design. I don't recall ANY spy photos of a black 22" wheel on ANY X. If you find one please let me know.

I was only referring to the media and reveal day photos of the black "Turbine" wheel on the black X with white 7 seat interior. That was Elon's car which I got to inspect personally at the reveal event.

Honestly, if I end up getting an X I'd love to get my hands on a set of those matte black 20's!

Cheers!

Edit: Ooops. Sorry. I just went through the link you provided (Teslarati) and there are some black Turbine wheel photos and videos. Apparently my memory isn't what it used to be! I must be getting old! ;-)

It's hard to tell if those are 21's or 22's though. They certainly do look a bit larger than the ones on Elon's X the day of the reveal.

Last edited: