Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Big price drop - LR down $10k, Plaid down $21k

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the model S? Since when? If so, I must have missed it.
Enhanced autopilot went away entirely for several years. The options were the base Autopilot features included with the car (auto steer and TACC), or the full-blown FSD for $15k.

A few months ago they re-introduced EAP at $6k, which adds things to the base included autopilot functionality like auto lane change, Navigate on Autopilot, Summon, etc.

Exactly.

I added it because we need apples to apples. You can't just say they lowered the price without mentioning they took away a major feature. Anyone with an S wants Enhanced AP, so once you put that back in you are at the same $100k price that most have paid over the past year.

Prior to this change, EAP was included.
You still get basic autopilot. I don’t understand.
it not like you get nothing.

Exactly.

I added it because we need apples to apples. You can't just say they lowered the price without mentioning they took away a major feature. Anyone with an S wants Enhanced AP, so once you put that back in you are at the same $100k price that most have paid over the past year.

Prior to this change, EAP was included.
No, no it wasn't. EAP has been $6k since last year. The price is now $21k less for a Plaid than it was yesterday. Apples to apples. And the price of the LR is now $10k less. Apples to apples.

Reactions: cmarshack
Thanks, and I already corrected myself.
All good, missed the updated post! I suspect that Tesla is going to sell a lot of cars now. It's not really a demand issue so much as when you keep adding Gigafactories, keep increasing the number of vehicles produced, at some point you reach a threshold. That threshold is likely met, so prices can come down, and Tesla will continue to slaughter the competition. The S Plaid is remarkable value now, if you ask me, and you know Tesla is still making a killing in terms of profit. Ostensibly the only meaningful $ difference is going into that third motor, and we know that third motor is not worth $20k...

Reactions: cmarshack
William are they worth 115 now? Would you buy it again X3?
That's a great question, and was just having this discussion with a friend of mine this morning. You all know I went through bloody hell with my first Plaid. The second has been better, there's no doubt about that, but still some crap QC issues remain. The thing is, I still really, really like the pos. I described it to my friend as the worst best car I've ever owned. In the hands of a more competent manufacturer the S would be something truly special, with fit and finish to match.

Is it worth $115k? Absolutely yes.

All good. I suspect that Tesla is going to sell a lot of cars now. It's not really a demand issue so much as when you keep adding Gigafactories, keep increasing the number of vehicles produced, at some point you reach a threshold. That threshold is likely met, so prices can come down, and Tesla will continue to slaughter the competition. The S Plaid is remarkable value now, if you ask me, and you know Tesla is still making a killing in terms of profit. Ostensibly the only meaningful $ difference is going into that third motor, and we know that third motor is not worth $20k...
Placing order black/black plaid round wheel 19’. I will give you updates on the vibrations after I get it. :)

That's a great question, and was just having this discussion with a friend of mine this morning. You all know I went through bloody hell with my first Plaid. The second has been better, there's no doubt about that, but still some crap QC issues remain. The thing is, I still really, really like the pos. I described it to my friend as the worst best car I've ever owned. In the hands of a more competent manufacturer the S would be something truly special, with fit and finish to match.

Is it worth $115k? Absolutely yes.
I have followed you from day one, kinda glad I waited, plus I simply love my 2019 pd3 72000 trouble free miles.

• Love
Reactions: WilliamG
I have followed you from day one, kinda glad I waited, plus I simply love my 2019 pd3 72000 trouble free miles.
If you really have followed me from day one (my condolences, truly), then I don't think anything will surprise you, and you'll be a lot more level headed and aware going in to the purchase. Consider the $21k "discount" on the Plaid as apology money from Tesla. 😅 Congrats on the order!
Wow - I just took delivery 3 weeks ago and paid $10k more for my Model S. I am not amused.
You're more amused than the Model Y LR owners who just took a $20.5k bath (with the $7500 tax credit), I'll tell you that. Does that make you feel better? No? Oh well, I tried...

• Love
Reactions: Duke846
If Tesla can still make a profit at these prices, it’s the competition that is crying.
I'm not sure I can agree with this statement. Dropping the price might give Tesla an advantage in retaining marketshare of the EV space; as of 7 years ago, Tesla's marketshare could only go down since they and Nissan were virtually the only show in town. But this is going to hit their nice profit margins and while the company can absorb quite a bit, the shareholders are not going to be happy.

I chalk this up to the market normalizing after the pandemic/stimulus/demand pull-forward that the likes of Peloton, semiconductor, and software as a service stocks experienced.

A friend of mine just got traded in his Model 3 for a new Y. It was originally slated to be delivered in April but they pushed it forward to the week before Xmas, he won't be happy when he finds out about the price drop. But now this makes me wonder if there will be a big price drop on the lease returned models since their new car counterparts have dropped dramatically. Perhaps Tesla will finally have their sub-$35K car for sale...a 3-4 year old Model 3/Y.