Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Big price drop - LR down $10k, Plaid down $21k

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I got my first Tesla a 2014 S my friend told me to take it for a test drive. He said bring your check book because you wont go home without one. I had 4 previous MB and he couldn't have been more right. If the naysayers drove one it's hard to say you hate it. Although I REALLY hate that you cant turn off regen. Its ridiculous.

Reactions: GSP
When I got my first Tesla a 2014 S my friend told me to take it for a test drive. He said bring your check book because you wont go home without one. I had 4 previous MB and he couldn't have been more right. If the naysayers drove one it's hard to say you hate it. Although I REALLY hate that you cant turn off regen. Its ridiculous.
Front experience with a bad drive unit/HV contactors, I can tell you that you'll want at regen on or at least pedal modulated like the Fiat 500e, Audi eTron, or Porcshe Taycan. When your regenerative braking system is disabled you'll quickly find that 4,700lb car plus whatever payload you're carrying is simply a lot for the friction brakes. You can also watch some Model S videos experiencing brake fade at the track.

Front experience with a bad drive unit/HV contactors, I can tell you that you'll want at regen on or at least pedal modulated like the Fiat 500e, Audi eTron, or Porcshe Taycan. When your regenerative braking system is disabled you'll quickly find that 4,700lb car plus whatever payload you're carrying is simply a lot for the friction brakes. You can also watch some Model S videos experiencing brake fade at the track.
I just want the ability to shut it off on occasion. I have mentioned on here before that i makes my son nauseous in the back seat . He always asks if we can take the truck instead. no matter how I adjust my style of driving he gets nauseous before we get in when he sits in the back.

I just want the ability to shut it off on occasion. I have mentioned on here before that i makes my son nauseous in the back seat . He always asks if we can take the truck instead. no matter how I adjust my style of driving he gets nauseous before we get in when he sits in the back.
I hate to be that guy... but... that's 100% (or as sure as I can be) your driving.

I hate to be that guy... but... that's 100% (or as sure as I can be) your driving.
Careful there, I'd take the other side of that bet. I've know a few folks who are very motion-sickness prone (inner ear issues) and they had to take medication in high school just to be able to ride in the car, so I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that it's anyone's driving that is the culprit. I mean you said 100% so that doesn't really leave you any room wiggle room.

Anyways, perhaps having your son sit upfront and focus on the road in front and not look at any screens, books, etc would help. after Ginger candies or Dramamine help too. I'm prone to seasickness, airsickness, and had a terrible bout of vertigo in my mid 30s...but I'm still have to sail, ride in a plane, and ride rollercoasters after learning a few management techniques.

Careful there, I'd take the other side of that bet. I've know a few folks who are very motion-sickness prone (inner ear issues) and they had to take medication in high school just to be able to ride in the car, so I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that it's anyone's driving that is the culprit. I mean you said 100% so that doesn't really leave you any room wiggle room.

Anyways, perhaps having your son sit upfront and focus on the road in front and not look at any screens, books, etc would help. after Ginger candies or Dramamine help too. I'm prone to seasickness, airsickness, and had a terrible bout of vertigo in my mid 30s...but I'm still have to sail, ride in a plane, and ride rollercoasters after learning a few management techniques.
What I'm saying is that I've definitely been with a few Tesla drivers that make me feel nauseated with their driving because even thousands of miles later they still don't understand regenerative braking smoothness. If someone is carsick in any car well... then that's not the Tesla specifically.

What year Model S do you have now? I’ve noticed 2021+ regen is dramatically smoother than 2018 (and it will come to complete stop, which is nice). Also, try Chill mode when your son is in the car. My spouse is very motion sensitive and it helps me modulate acceleration.

As someone that suffers easily from motion sickness, I would bet your son would feel motion sick in the back seat of your Tesla even without any regen braking. Anytime the inputs to the brain for what I see, hear, or feel don't match up, I get some level of motion sickness. And then if I think about it at all, it snowballs.

So even accelerating in an EV made me feel motion sickness at first even when I was the one driving. I do get desensitized over time. The best way I found to quickly desensitize myself was swinging on a park swing with my eyes closed.