Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Biden 500,000 Charging Stations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Biden in Wisconsin pitching his infrastructure plan announces 500,000 electric charging stations….a few thoughts came to mind. Putting the politics aside this really is a corporate subsidy. Those who are EVs owners will benefit from it as well as car manufacturers. Electric co etc. Tesla competitive advantage IMO is their tech and charging infrastructure. Will this hurt or help Tesla as a co (stock)? Who will up keep these charging networks? I’ve found Tesla to also be superior in this area compared to charge point etc.
Overall seems like a win for those who want a cleaner future for our kids. Of course their are larger CO2 producers than automobiles but it’s a start.
Thoughts?

My guess is that the large majority of these charging stations would be level 2 which by itself doesn't diminish the competitive advantage of the Tesla network of superchargers.

Most current Tesla owners do the lion's share of their charging out of the convenience of their house/garage. The first install location type mentioned at the white house website is apartment buildings. So this aspect might increase the market for Tesla, opening it up more easily to those who currently have no convenient option for routine commute charging.

Last mentioned is fast charging along national roadways. This could potentially diminish the competitive advantage of the Tesla network, but could see Tesla agree to open up specific supercharging sites that receive public money in this manner.

President Biden’s American Jobs Plan includes a transformational $15 billion investment to fund this vision and build a national network of 500,000 charging stations. Through a combination of grant and incentive programs for state and local governments and the private sector, it will support a transformational acceleration in deployment of a mix of chargers in apartment buildings, in public parking, throughout communities, and as a robust fast charging along our nation’s roadways.

FACT SHEET: Biden Administration Advances Electric Vehicle Charging Infrastructure | The White House

Reactions: popgodazipa
Not necessarily a loss for TSLA as the company could always try to claim some of the largesse. For example, the NJ Turnpike authority puts out a grant proposal to add chargers at all turnpikes. Tesla and the other manufacturers could all bid, or perhaps form a JV to install both Tesla and CCS chargers.

500,000 electric charging stations seems to be serious overkill (assuming its all US Federal created)

What is needed is enough to make people comfortable to use EV, and Corporate America and Local Gov will do the rest.
And private individuals.

I do not have numbers, but I guesstimate 50k to 100k will be enough.

500,000 electric charging stations seems to be serious overkill (assuming its all US Federal created)

What is needed is enough to make people comfortable to use EV, and Corporate America and Local Gov will do the rest.
And private individuals.

I do not have numbers, but I guesstimate 50k to 100k will be enough.

L2 or L3? Maybe ~50k to 100k L3 but we need ~4 - 5x that number AT LEAST of L2 at apartments and other places for people that don't own their home.

I think we really need a ~120% tax credit for public L2 charging. Make it so ubiquitous that stopping somewhere that doesn't have a place to plug-in nearby is the exception.

Reactions: Big Earl
L2 or L3? Maybe ~50k to 100k L3 but we need ~4 - 5x that number AT LEAST of L2 at apartments and other places for people that don't own their home.

Apartments are a private location, not government.

Perhaps not clear enough:
50k to 100k locations along public right-of-ways (interstates, major state highways), the rest being private and local.
Now, if the rest was subsidies for the latter, then I am good with that 500k

Does it matter? Where would people that live in apartments charge? Wouldn't it make more sense to invest $20k for a bank of L2s at an apartment complex than $50k for a public L3?

I think all of this will be subsidized. I don't expect the DOT to own and operate a L3 network.
Of course.
My impression is this proposal is for Public recharge points, not apartments and retail.
If indeed public, then your point is not relevant.

Until we know the intent, kind of pointless to discuss.
But I do think it is high time to make apartments EV ready.