Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

bicycle transport

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, I have carried bikes ranging in weight from 50 lbs (PEDEGO Electric) each to 11 lbs (carbon fiber Madone 6.7 SSL)

I am tempted to try and carry my Zero FX which weighs 275 lbs with both 53 lbs batteries, if I remove the two batteries it will drop 106 lbs or so and would only weight 169 lbs... which is within the weight limit (200 lb tongue weight) of the hitch. unfortunately my Yakima Hold up 2 is only rated for two 60 lbs bikes for a max load of 120 lbs.. HoldUp 2

I may end up buying a aluminum dirt bike carrier (47 lbs) which is well within the specs with 400 lbs carrying capacity double what the Zero FX needs Aluminum Tilting Motorcycle Carrier | Tilt-a-Rack

Tesla Salisbury MD Beach Bikes.jpg
2013 Zero FX 5.7.jpg

Last edited:
Just bought this bike rack from Costco for $179Can . Seems like a pretty good deal. I would guess it is about 70lbs, and I have about 80-90lbs of bikes so it should be ok & under the 200lb hitch limit. Works with a 1-1/4" or 2" hitch. I am 190lbs and was really jumping up and down on the tip for a few minutes and it held strong. The car is on a slope in the photo, so the pic makes it look a bit on an angle pointing down.

rack.jpg

How are the torklift hitch mounts holding up for the long-term owners? I have the standard coil springs, so no option to raise the car...do you experience the hitch grazing the road during any time like going up/down any ramps or while going over some potholes in the highways? What if your car is loaded with passengers and some luggage for a longish road trip and the bike rack in the back?

I am considering the hitch (haven't yet searched any experienced bodyshops that have done this before).

How are the torklift hitch mounts holding up for the long-term owners? I have the standard coil springs, so no option to raise the car...do you experience the hitch grazing the road during any time like going up/down any ramps or while going over some potholes in the highways? What if your car is loaded with passengers and some luggage for a longish road trip and the bike rack in the back?

I am considering the hitch (haven't yet searched any experienced bodyshops that have done this before).

Seconding this question. We're debating whether to install a hitch and bike mount or just throw bikes on our roof rack. Would love to hear some years-later opinions from you Torklift owners!

Seconding this question. We're debating whether to install a hitch and bike mount or just throw bikes on our roof rack. Would love to hear some years-later opinions from you Torklift owners!

I sold my S with the Ecohitch nearly two years ago, but the new owner is a friend I see occasionally. He continues to use the Ecohitch, primarily for attaching one of those fold-down metal racks for carrying excess cargo and dirty things like bags of cement. He may have also towed a small trailer after getting rid of his Jeep Cherokee, I’m not sure. He’s been doing a renovation project and the S is now his primary car so he put whispbars on top and carries lumber and a rowing skull around on the roof regularly for short trips. The roof rack and hitch rack get a lot of use and the Ecohitch is working great.

I now use my 4-bike Thule rack on my X’s hitch and did a 150 mile round trip with two bikes the other day - coincidentally to visit the friend who has my old S. The range hit was pretty minimal, as opposed to once a few years ago when I drove there, cut down a Christmas tree, and drove home with it strapped on the roof of the Model S. The increased wind resistance made a huge impact on range - towards the end of the drive back I was going very slowly as I was worried about making it home, even after adding 60 miles or so of charge while there! I definitely recommend putting bikes on the back rather than on top for this reason, plus they’re easier to put on and off. I have used several superchargers with the bikes on, I prefer the front-in ones when there’s an option but the back-in cables reach as well.

• Informative
Reactions: phaduman and robby
I have had no issues with the two TorkLift hitches with my 2013 P85 and my 2014 P85+.

I switched to a cheaper option on my wife's 2016 90D and got this one which only comes with a 1 1/4 receiver, but it's a much simpler design, since I never remove the TorkLift EcoHitches I saw no value in paying $250 more for essentially the exact same functionality.

At $150 to $170ish I would weigh the value of the $400 TL ECO over this one

Draw-Tite 24958 Class I Sportframe Hitch with 1-1/4" Receiver Tube Opening
by Draw-Tite
Link: http://a.co/5u0eOzH

Draw Tite also makes a Class III hitch for the Model X

Draw-Tite Aftermarket Receiver Package

Also if I did it all over again, I would get this bike rack instead - North Shore Bike Racks : A bike rack by mountain bikers, for mountain bikers

I like how it doesn't stick out way behind the car

Kuat also makes a decent platform bike racks too... pricey but it has some unique options

NV 2.0 – Kuat Racks and if you don't want to pay $650 for the Kuat, get the Yakima Holdup 2 which is $225 less with essentially the same design and specs..HoldUp | Bike Hitch Rack | Yakima Racks. I have two of these and have had no issues..

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: robby