Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Better range after 7.0 upgrade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, this is weird. Ran a lunch time errand only to find I had lost 11 miles of range due to vampire loss in only 5 hours. Typically I lose about 4 miles in a 8-9 hour day.

I double checked, and my settings for displays remained in "power savings" mode with "always connected" checked, as they had been previously.

Last time this happened it turned out an upgrade to Visible Tesla had toggled the "allow sleep" setting off. I just double checked that, and it's still set correctly.

I rebooted the center console just for completeness sake.

Odd.

My increased consumption since getting v7 seems to be the more aggressive AC. My Wh/mi figures are much higher in the beginning of a trip than they used to be. I'm in Arizona, so use the AC pretty regularly. Tesla said the new, more aggressive AC is actually more efficient but I have not found that to be the case.

OK, this is weird. Ran a lunch time errand only to find I had lost 11 miles of range due to vampire loss in only 5 hours. Typically I lose about 4 miles in a 8-9 hour day.

I double checked, and my settings for displays remained in "power savings" mode with "always connected" checked, as they had been previously.

Last time this happened it turned out an upgrade to Visible Tesla had toggled the "allow sleep" setting off. I just double checked that, and it's still set correctly.

I rebooted the center console just for completeness sake.

Odd.

I am NOT saying this happened, but I've seen and read that sometimes after an update, a setting will say it is on or off, but the opposite is really happening. In each case, setting if off or on and then back to where it was resets it. Maybe something to try to play it safe?

I am NOT saying this happened, but I've seen and read that sometimes after an update, a setting will say it is on or off, but the opposite is really happening. In each case, setting if off or on and then back to where it was resets it. Maybe something to try to play it safe?

Agreed... I should have included the fact that I toggled it off/on before the console reset just to be sure.

I got in 3.5 hours later with no more vampire loss reported at all. So either something unrelated to v7 was keeping the car awake, or there's some funky vampire behavior with the new firmware.

As another data point for my standard evening commute...

-Temps: ranged in mid-70's
-Avg for trip: 262 Wh/mi
-Distance driven: 32.5 miles
-Range consumed: 31 miles
-
Total average for day: 277 Wh/mi

It appears my morning usage might have improved more than my afternoon (although hard to tell as previously I never had a trip meter reset back to 0 for my afternoon commute). So I wonder if different pack heating algorithms may be part of this?

Last edited:
Using V 7 on my current swing through the northwestern corner of the country, I have noticed a significant *apparent* increase in range. The car seems much more efficient. Trementon to Twin Falls I averaged 278Wh/mi into the wind. The calculated % reported in the navigation system is much more accurate, too. It's almost reliable over long distances.

Another data point for my standard morning commute...

-Temps: ranged from 60-62
-Avg for trip: 289 Wh/mi
-Distance driven: 35 miles
-Range consumed: 36 miles

I'll try and post my final commute home numbers and then, unless anything changes, probably knock off, as the behavior has been pretty consistent with v7 yielding a ~10% energy usage improvement for me.

The only weirdness I've seen was with the remaining range/vampire loss... so I'll see if my resets/reboots yesterday fixed that.

I'm looking forward to a longer trip soon to see how things hold...

Is this a flat road? What was your average speed? temp outside?

I have never averaged that low anywhere.

Using V 7 on my current swing through the northwestern corner of the country, I have noticed a significant *apparent* increase in range. The car seems much more efficient. Trementon to Twin Falls I averaged 278Wh/mi into the wind. The calculated % reported in the navigation system is much more accurate, too. It's almost reliable over long distances.

- - - Updated - - -

Great. Looking forward to this data.

Seems consistent that a lot of us are reporting say 5-10% improvements in efficiency.

the only outlier lives in a very hot climate.

Yes, I can and will record temp/wind data for each trip.

Final data point for my standard evening commute...

-Temps: ranged in low-mid 70's
-Avg for trip: 271 Wh/mi
-Distance driven: 33 miles
-Range consumed: 37 miles
-Total average for day: 281 Wh/mi

So the trip/since last charge meters seem to be consistent over time, and match the energy graphs.

It's the rated range that seems all over the map... both in driving and vampire loss.

I lost 11 miles to vampire loss yesterday morning, and then none in the afternoon after I "reset" everything. Today I lost another 8 miles over the course of the day. Typically it was 4-5 in a day pre-v7.

This morning I averaged 289 wh/mi, and only used 1 mile more of range than actual miles driven. This afternoon I averaged 271, yest used 4 more miles range than driven.

The range estimates seem fubar'd in v7.

I have 25,146 miles on my S60 and with V7 consumption has improved about 8-10%.

Wh/mi consumption, rated miles consumption, or both?

It's possible that if they modified the algorithm for Wh/mi calculation on the dashboard meter, that you may not have any range improvement but the number just looks better. We're trying to figure out whether people are getting improved range along with that lower Wh/mi.

The other thing I should add after this week is that the since last charged KWh numbers also seem to reflect the same apparent savings... my commute used to consume just about 20Kwh on the dot. Now it's between 18 & 19...

The other thing I should add after this week is that the since last charged KWh numbers also seem to reflect the same apparent savings... my commute used to consume just about 20Kwh on the dot. Now it's between 18 & 19...

I would expect that - since Wh/mi is derived from that divided by miles driven.

Wh/mi consumption, rated miles consumption, or both?

It's possible that if they modified the algorithm for Wh/mi calculation on the dashboard meter, that you may not have any range improvement but the number just looks better. We're trying to figure out whether people are getting improved range along with that lower Wh/mi.

I was speaking of Wh/mi. Haven't been tracking range.

I think you RWD owners --ARE-- actually getting improved range.

I drive a P85D, and keep meticulous data for the main trips we take. We've seen no change in anything since the update--no efficiency improvement in Wh/mi, and also no change in range miles used for a given trip that has a certain Wh/mi and kWh. Below are a couple of examples:

Range Miles
kWh
Wh/Mi
Before v753
With v7

Before v7
With v7
So unless Tesla changed the computations for RWD cars, but not for the Ds, I think the lower Wh/mi figures that you are seeing are actual improvements in efficiency.

Last edited:
Definitely. My daily commute was consistently around 330. Since 7.0 it has been around 290. That's a huge improvement! No increase in rated range, but I suspect actual range is improved by that ratio. I'll verify on next long trip.

Right - you won't see a rated range increase when full, but after your daily commute there should be a higher number of miles left over in rated range after the commute.

The car is only more efficient if the number of rated miles left after a regular trip is consistently higher. That is the data we need; we know the Wh/mi appears to be lower, but Tesla could simply remove some power draw from the calculation (e.g., A/C & heat) and the number would look smaller but have no impact on car's efficiency / range.

I definitely do not think that A/C & heat have been taken out of the calculation. Doing a lot of short trips yesterday, I had very high initial consumption that I attributed to the aggressive A/C compressor utilization under v7. But on the one 20+ mile trip that I took, I still saw the ~8-10% efficiency improvement over v6.2 typical WH/mi numbers. My conclusion based on everything I've seen so far is that the efficiency improvement is real. Way to go, Tesla!

On the other hand, if they have really increased efficiency and range by about 10%, I have no idea why they wouldn't prominently highlight this fact. To get such improvement via OTA update is a fantastic validation of Tesla's many statements that they will continue to upgrade their existing cars in this way, and further differentiates Tesla from every other car company.

I'm still on 6.2 and my vampire drain ranges significantly. That said, I also drove across a couple states and am currently outside my norm, so it could be a function of the local circumstances. It is quite likely where I am currently that the BMS is cooling down the battery at times while the car sits otherwise idle.