Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Wall Connector Position? Front or Side?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

easyev

Supporting Member
Jul 29, 2023
Toronto
Guys, thinking of adding a wall connector for my wife's Y, rather than running the mobile connector under the garage door. What do you think the best mounting location would be? Front of Garage, on Pillar, or side, on brick? Thanks for weighing in!
Overview - Copy (2).JPEG
Front Pillar - Copy.png
Side of Garage - Copy.png

OK, smart guy, you’re right I’ve been trying to do this, and the stuff keeps accumulating. There’s a reason you’re a moderator!

It’s not impossible, but it would take some time and planning to clear all this out and move it up onto the walls and ceiling. The worst thing is the “Home Depot 12 foot skeleton 💀” i said yes to my wife to get this forgetting how big the box would be to store!!! This is embarrassing guys…what is the expression airing your dirty laundry?!

As you can see, I’ve got some sense of organization happening.

Got a couple of bikes I need to sell.
Maybe I could hang that skeleton from the ceiling?! Out of box?! How about the wagon? My Japanese Makita lawnmower should fit nicely on the shelf, which is why I downsized from the bigger, black and decker I had. Glad I don’t have the wheelbarrow anymore lol

View attachment 989249View attachment 989250View attachment 989251View attachment 989252View attachment 989253
I have been dethrowned (but not by much)!

• Funny
Reactions: easyev
Upvote 0
Regarding garage storage: If you don't already have storage racks above the garage doors, you should definitely consider them. They're a life saver, allowing one to put gear in the airspace above the garage door, which nobody otherwise uses.
It's true, check out all that space I could be using. I've mounted Gladiator gear shelves on each side but nothing in the center.

I wonder if that damn skeleton box would fit there? Probable too tall? 44x44x27" high...

garage 4 - Copy.png

Upvote 0
Thanks for the the feedback so far guys, really appreciate it.

Side: I just noticed EVer Hopeful has the tow hitch...If I got that I probably wouldn't have the lic plate bolt marks in my new bumper, damn, that diffuser is expensive, $805 installed plus tax.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the the feedback so far guys, really appreciate it.

Side: I just noticed EVer Hopeful has the tow hitch...If I got that I probably wouldn't have the lic plate bolt marks in my new bumper, damn, that diffuser is expensive, $805 installed plus tax.

Well maybe if you installed the hitch into the receiver then you'd get some protection (though any impact would be tranfered directly to the frame of the vehicle) but you'd have to look closely at mine to even know I had the tow hitch option, as all you could see was a faint line round the edge of the cover plate

Reactions: easyev
Upvote 0
Just curious: Do we have to worry about rain, snow that can wet the wall charger if it's installed outside of the garage?
I don’t think so. They are rated for outdoor use. In my case I do have a ledge over it though. I’ve charged at at hotels and universities that are just mounted on poles etc. with no covering at all and they seem just fine.

Reactions: jjrandorin
Upvote 0
Just curious: Do we have to worry about rain, snow that can wet the wall charger if it's installed outside of the garage?
They are outdoor rated, so not really. You wouldnt want to point your waterhose at it, but for regular weather outside (even snow and such) it should be fine.

Upvote 0
You did all of that in a couple of hours? Congratulations! That would be a weeks long job for most people.

thank you! 😊 I really surprised myself. Admittedly, the garage was well-equipped with
hooks, Proslat shelves, and such.
I arrived home early with the intention of having a good workout. I went out to the garage to look at my car, and was taken aback by its chaotic state. Feeling a bit embarrassed, I decided to document the mess to hold myself accountable. The process of organizing became my workout, and I shared the final photos 1 1/2 to 2 hours later as a way of completing my task. 😊

P.S. I did move some stuff out of the garage, stuff that I’m going to sell or throw out if it doesn’t sell. Some old bikes, a wagon, etc. a couple of boxes filled with crap no idea what they were doing occupying that precious tessy space.

Thanks again for the kind words guys!

Reactions: Thp3 and jjrandorin
Upvote 0
They are outdoor rated, so not really. You wouldnt want to point your waterhose at it, but for regular weather outside (even snow and such) it should be fine.
What do you mean? Tesla says they are indoor outdoor rated. I don’t think we’re talking IP ratings here, not submerging them underwater, 😉 but can you mount them on a pole outside? Yes you can. 😊

Rated for Outdoors

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
What do you mean? Tesla says they are indoor outdoor rated. I don’t think we’re talking IP ratings here, not submerging them underwater, 😉 but can you mount them on a pole outside? Yes you can. 😊

Rated for Outdoors

Arent we saying the same thing? The question was " is weather a problem" and I was saying "not really, no it isnt"....

Reactions: Rocky_H and easyev
Upvote 0