Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best settings for P85D launch / drag racing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dimming the display isn't going to make any measurable difference.

I agree. Won't making it bright result in more photon pressure to propel you forward :)

- - - Updated - - -

Lower tire pressure. The traction is in fact limited, the traction control is what keeps the tires from spinning. Pull the stability control fuse if you doubt me- you will promptly get 4 wheel burnouts! Lower tire pressure will gain you more traction (by increasing contact patch) at the expense of rolling resistance. For drag racing, traction is more important than rolling resistance.

BTW, if this were true, then wouldn't putting wider wheels with slicks on give you a much faster 0-30?

nope, the car is programmed for a certain power level, and doesn't spin the tires, especially at the drag strip where the surface is prepped and sticky.... the P85D Insane Mode isn't sitting at the limit between traction and no traction adjusting the power on launch.... if it was my times when measured on a vbox would be much quicker at the dragstrip than on the street, and this is NOT the case....

Ludicrous mode might be a different story....

I agree. Won't making it bright result in more photon pressure to propel you forward :)

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, if this were true, then wouldn't putting wider wheels with slicks on give you a much faster 0-30?

Yes, but better to put those electrons through the motor. Photon drive has lower efficiency.

Elon stated that for Ludicrous Mode, there is a recommended tire and size (different front and rear, if I heard correctly), so they've already done some research.

nope, the car is programmed for a certain power level, and doesn't spin the tires, especially at the drag strip where the surface is prepped and sticky.... the P85D Insane Mode isn't sitting at the limit between traction and no traction adjusting the power on launch.... if it was my times when measured on a vbox would be much quicker at the dragstrip than on the street, and this is NOT the case....

I'm almost certain that it isn't programmed for a certain power level, but rather adjusts by the millisecond when it detects wheel slip. If you perform a launch with lots of loose gravel, the car clearly pulses power much much more and runs much slower 0-30. Given that, I'd adjust the car to get faster 0-30 the less often it has to modulate power -- so I'd expect small improvements with drag radials or slicks. It won't help quite as much as it would for a car without such sophisticated launch control, but it would almost certainly help come.

your feet stick to the drag strip launching area, that's how sticky it is, and there is no improvement over regular pavement, the car simply does not spin the tires, so increasing traction (lowering tire pressures) when there is no spinning does not help.

it's crazy how consistent the car is, I've tested in many different conditions, I even put the car on a downhill slope to see if I could get a better 0-60 MPH time, and there was zero improvement...

I'm almost certain that it isn't programmed for a certain power level, but rather adjusts by the millisecond when it detects wheel slip. If you perform a launch with lots of loose gravel, the car clearly pulses power much much more and runs much slower 0-30. Given that, I'd adjust the car to get faster 0-30 the less often it has to modulate power -- so I'd expect small improvements with drag radials or slicks. It won't help quite as much as it would for a car without such sophisticated launch control, but it would almost certainly help come.

Ludicrous mode might be a different story....

Elon has explicitly stated that L mode will not increase the power one bit below 30 MPH.

Seems like lowering the pressure somewhat will reduce the diameter by some degree, which would in-turn decrease the final drive ratio. (more turns of wheels, so less torque needed for a certain acceleration)

However, if the car is indeed programmed to a certain acceleration curve, then this will actually slow down the car. Maybe taller wheels with lower overall friction might help. Really, there's no way for us to know unless we know how the car's acceleration curve is being regulated. If they are watching total kW, then it won't matter what you do (within reason). If it's amps, then reducing torque would have a positive effect. If it was speed (voltage/frequency) then taller wheels will be better. This is all predicate on Tesla having the powertrain follow a pre-programmed curve, and not relying on feedback, such as from traction control.

I guess a few Dyno sessions would quickly determine how this is working.

- - - Updated - - -

that's probably a good thing, too much more and things will start breaking...

Yeah, it's amazing that the half-shafts can tolerate these torque pulses. There's some evidence to support that the gearbox isn't to thrilled about it.

Yea, like my brain. Even motorcycles I've owned that did 0-60 in 2.7 seconds didn't have the 0-30 rush that the P85D does.

+1. My liter bike does 2.7 seconds.
0-60 is all in first gear, but doesn't feel as violent as the P85D at 3.1

I think it might be because you can sit and experience it in the Tesla. On the bike, you're thinking about other things like not getting dead.

Reactions: jkennebeck
Well, the racing was super fun!! Will post a video recap of that in a few days. Ran against a handful of cars (all tuned for racing) that were pretty much all mid/low 11s quarter mile cars. Lost two races by just half a car length or so (won the other 7... kinda lost count)... think Ludicrous mode would make all the difference for the two I didn't win.

Everybody was SUPER impressed with how the P85D just HOOKS UP and goes.

Thought this was hilarious though.... here's the energy graph if you do 10 insane mode runs back to back to back. Energy draw was literally OFF THE CHARTS! Lol. Tesla will have to tweak this screen for Ludicrous mode. I want to see where I'm peaking out.

tesla-energy-graph.JPG

@KM - Regarding suspension, you want to visit the "ADJUST SPEED" UI and set it to "ALWAYS". In your video you have it set to "100+ mph" (which is the default).

In the image, you adjusted the Yellow but the Red will have a more permanent impact and is set via the Green. Just remember to change the setting when you leave the track, unless you prefer a bumpy ride and want to risk damage from speedbumps and such.

TrackSuspensionLow.png

Regarding suspension I was under the impression that adjusting the ride height will impact camber. The car is already at a slight negative camber in normal so lowering it and increasing negative camber sounds wrong for drag racing.

If that is the case I would keep the car at standard or maybe raise it to high to get a flatter contact patch.

Of course the ride hight might be irrelevant if the car is following a preprogrammed launch profile for the power.