Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drag racing mode enabled, get "both pedals pressed" alert instead of launch.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Am I doing something wrong? Went drag racing at Willow Springs yesterday. Won 10 races in my MS Plaid, lost one to another Plaid because of some kind of screw-up, about half way through the day's racing. Drag Strip Mode was enabled and fully operational. Left foot down and hold. Right foot down and hold. Instead of the cheetah stance thing, I get audio tones and a warning that both pedals are pressed. Light turns green, I released the brake. There was a pause, then weaker-than-normal acceleration. I got buried, LOL. Advice appreciated. Is there a possibility battery heat locks out launch mode? Or what?

I got a chance to try out launch mode on the MSLR this weekend and I still haven't gotten it to engage reliably. You definitely have to push the brake pedal very hard, but I suspect you need to have it pressed hard for some non-trivial amount of time (>1 second) before you mash the accelerator. I had more failures than success getting into cheetah stance, and still don't feel confident I have it figured out.

When I did get it engaged, my 1/8-mile runs were between 0.05 and 0.10 seconds quicker.

In my case, it was not NOT pressing the brake pedal hard enough but not jamming the throttle fast enough. If you don't smash the throttle all the way and quickly, it will give you the brake pedal pressed power reduced message. Naturally, someone who is first trying this is going to be hesitant smash the throttle on the fear the power will overcome the brakes and rocket the car forward unintentionally. The software should allow you to ease into the throttle when the brake is pressed.