Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best mattresses for Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rolo, don't forget when Elon spoke about Superchargers, he said that with solar and battery storage backup energy, the SC would work during Zombie Apocalypse. So Model S will help you escape, but the mattress lets you escape comfortably.
:smile:
So that I can properly calibrate my Model S app when the SDK is available...

How many points is it to run over adult zombies? Child zombies? Zombies with missing limbs? Zombies with extra limbs.

Thanks.

Well that didn't take long to go over my head. Link?

Sorry.

LD : Living Dead scale. Developed in the 1950s.

ZA1 : Zombie Apocalypse 1. Replaced ZA as zombies evolved in recent years.

JZA2 : Japanese standard. In Japan zombies tend to have tentacles so this scale is best for zombies with extra limbs.

Sorry, no link.

- - - Updated - - -

Finally, here are pictures of my preferred mattress: the Coleman Single High QuickBed Airbed Twin (with 4D Battery Pump Combo), part # 2000010290.

Size: 73" x 38" x 8".

View attachment 24417View attachment 24418View attachment 24419View attachment 24420View attachment 24421View attachment 24422

There is a little bit of "give" in that the width of the mattress does not fit exactly snugly against the sides, but it is extremely close--quite acceptable in fact. One point better than the SUV QuickBed is that because there is only one air pocket, the head area will hold its shape if you put your head on the front side. The inflation valve is also well-positioned for easy filling with a 12V air pump.

I bought this one (the twin 4D combo) over the standard one because I liked the darker color. It is not black--it is dark brown--but it matches the interior decor of my MS better. This one is a keeper.

I see there is alot of bad reviews of this mattress when it comes to leaks, how is your experience so far? Used it much?

Or maybe these...

Anyone tried one and a half of these?

Poolmaster 70755 Soft Tropic Comfort Mattress - Blue

Trying to avoid the whole air thing. Granted, will sacrifice storage space to do it, but nothing says the seats have to be returned to upright during a trip. In fact, I leave them down more than not during daily use.

Love the J-Pillow idea in particular for SC naps.

image.jpg
A micro ev rv eh!

Tesla should sell a "camper kit" that could fit in the sub-trunk (footwell area), it could include:
- Custom fit air mattress
- Electric pump (plug into 12v)
- Collapsable sun-shades like they have for pano & rear... but for all windows & a bit darker (not to be used while driving)

If the air mattress & sun-shades collapsed down tight enough, should be able to fit all that plus some blankets & pillows... and you're all set!

Here's a few shots of camping last weekend.

Showing an air mattress from Costco for $45... came with a 12V pump takes 4 D cells. Didn't pump the mattress completely full, so it squishes around the wheel wells. With two adults on it, the pressure builds up and provides good support. The mattress did not squirt out of position and just stayed wedged in there between the wheels.

I made a cardboard "ramp" that fills the difference in height gap created behind the folded seats and trunk floor. The ramp is cardboard folded around and around in layers of successively longer spans, ending up with dimensions 3" high tapering down to zero over a 21" distance that is long enough but not so long as to obscure the removable trunk deck lid over the deeper trunk. The width of the ramp is 38" to fit between the wheel wells perfectly snug. Being under the mattress, it does not get crushed, is lightweight, and to transport it I just flip it up and keep it behind the seats when they're in the upright position.

Slid the front seats nearly all the way forward. Put two 69L Rubbermaid containers with lids on the rear seat floors to fill the void, and rest mattress on top of those. Worked perfect. These are $10 each.

Other photos show the adapter I made to go from from TT-30 "RV" outlet (120VAC 30AMP) to NEMA 14-50. Have to dial down the amps to 24A. Filled me to 90% overnight, perfect. In the morning I did an experiment "go until you blow" to see how much I could pull from the TT-30 outlet. It let me pull a full 30A for several minutes maintaining 120V without dropping voltage... so I probably could have cheated all night but didn't want to risk popping the breaker and losing out completely on a charge.

Super nice just hitting the heater on whenever temps dropped too much... We learned the best way to do this is just leave the climate controls on and set the way you want, then open and shut the rear door. It runs for half an hour then stops.

We made window covers from stiff box board, cut to shape (traced from windows with doors open) for privacy on the sides, and used a traditional front windshield sun protector for that and just left the rear glass an pano glass unblocked.
IMG_7661.jpg
IMG_7662.jpg
IMG_7663.jpg
IMG_7669.jpg
IMG_7678.jpg
IMG_7680.jpg

Yup, I have Rhino ramps sitting in my garage while I was on the camping spot, thinking "shoulda brought 'em"

they are large, but fairly lightweight.. and we had extra room to fit them in

I haven't tried using them on the Tesla yet... probably be able to drive backwards onto them, for sure by putting air suspension to very high position

I'll try on my garage pad first.

Here's my car on garage pad (which also has a bit of a slope) backed onto ramps. Easy to back onto with suspension set to normal height.

My wife was laying down in the back nearly perfectly flat with this set-up.

Attachments

• 20150524_194404.jpg
    20150524_194404.jpg
    885.4 KB · Views: 706
Last edited:
We've camped in the back of our model S about a half dozen times in remote areas on the mountain roads of Oregon and WA. We set the climate control at 68-70 and it uses 15-30 miles of range for the night(absolutely love it). We were using a standard inflatable twin mattress. Two problems 1. It sat too high at 9" thick, not leaving much headroom. 2. When one person moves it makes noise, shifts around, and wakes the other person up.

Last weekend we used the Exped Megamat Duo. It's wide for the car but it creases where it's too wide and worked well. It was much more comfortable. If you're looking to spend more ($300) for a better night sleep I would recommend it!

MegaMat Duo - YouTube

P.S. We use our regular backpacking mats half inflated to even out the floor underneath (for that lip by the folded down seats).

Last edited:
First, I have to say that I'm 6'4" 250lbs ! My goal is to maybe fit 2 in there ! I know, I'm pushing it, but I want to give it a try !

Here is 2 mattress I got a Canadian tire for under 30$

They both integrated some kind of integrated pillow which feel actually nice as is. It also have an integrated foot pump... I did try it and work on both of them but you got to figure out how it work, and the twin version doesn't fill very hard, but it felt ok in the car. I bought an 12volt air pump though !

IMG_20150811_125952.jpg

This one is size double. It was ok, but the border does rise up making sleeping in not a great position I think... I haven't tried it being 2 in it... Maybe I'll have a chance to have a woman to test it out with me later this week ;)

IMG_20150811_183723.jpg

This one was a size Twin... It actually less larged than advertised... I hope it was 2,3 inch larger... For a single user, this is fine ! It might become my permanent bed I keep in the car just in case, but the double could also be useful.

So 50$ later(plus the air pump), I still don't have a viable option... Though the first one will be useful to test to see if I should investt anything more. At the same time, it will come handy if I have some visit someday, or even camping. I had in mind to use it to watch the perseide this week (if the sky clear up !)

Reactions: wesley888
For my bed, I first drop in a 2x4 that spans across the rear compartment hatch and rests long side vertical on the frame rails. Then I have a piece of plywood that rests on this 2x4 and runs up to the seat back lip so that a level platform is created. This also allows for additional storage underneath the plywood for things like my reflectix window shades (all windows + Pano). Then throw the mattress in and with the reflectix shades, it's totally blacked out and a perfect little sleeping room. Next time I set it up, I'll post pix.

The only problem is I cannot figure out how to keep the HVAC on while charging. No matter what I try, it goes off after :30. I don't have an iOS device, so I can't use the camping mode in the remote S app, and in any event, I've already been to one camp site were there was no cell service, so it wouldn't have worked anyway.

I'd love an official camping mode from Tesla so I didn't have to hack something together. Funny that you can use the neutral + parking brake trick when NOT plugged in, but once plugged in when there would be no battery drain, it shuts off. Annoying!

• Helpful
Reactions: mblakele