Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best mattresses for Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Totally agree.

Been thinking about this for a while so I made a rough CAD drawing of the space.

Sleeping area.jpg

I think there is a rubbermaid storage bin that you could pack with necessaries and use two or three to take up the space behind the front seats and support the foot of the bed.

I have been trying to find an inflatable mattress to take up the 3" drop but so far I have only been able to find one that could be folded in half to fit.

37710008-S13-POP.gif

I didn't really want to use foam since it takes up so much space when not being used but I tried out some pieces I had around from a Vanagon Westy.

IMG_1925t.jpg

The easiest thing to do would be to cut a 3-4" thick foam piece for the cargo area then use a topper over the whole space and sleep with your feet in front.

Thought I'd follow up since I started the thread.

First of all, this is a Coleman Single High QuickBed Airbed Queen, part # 2000010286. Fully inflated it is 78" x 58" x 8".

2013-06-11 10.49.31.jpg
2013-06-11 10.49.41.jpg
2013-06-11 10.50.03.jpg
2013-06-11 10.53.00.jpg
2013-06-11 10.53.11.jpg

As shown, it is obviously too big. The length is fine but the width is too much. After deflating it, I managed to get it to fit snugly. You can see the caved-in impression of a single bed user in the middle.

- - - Updated - - -

The next exhibit is the Coleman SUV QuickBed Airbed, part # 2000010281. The size is 73" x 40" x 6.5".

2013-06-14 18.02.38.jpg
2013-06-14 18.02.43.jpg
2013-06-14 18.02.52.jpg
2013-06-14 18.03.04.jpg
2013-06-14 18.03.12.jpg
2013-06-14 18.03.28.jpg
2013-06-14 18.03.40.jpg
2013-06-14 18.03.50.jpg
2013-06-14 18.04.55.jpg

It is better than the queen, but not perfect. In particular, the "feature" of having a separately inflated pocket for the headrest is actually a drawback. Because the headrest is connected but separately inflated, it bends at the joint. This means that it goes down when it hangs over the backseat, making it uncomfortable and unusable. Additionally, the inflation valves are on the side of the mattress, which is inconvenient placement if you are using the 12V lighter to power an air pump.

- - - Updated - - -

Finally, here are pictures of my preferred mattress: the Coleman Single High QuickBed Airbed Twin (with 4D Battery Pump Combo), part # 2000010290.

Size: 73" x 38" x 8".

2013-06-14 17.12.26.jpg
2013-06-14 17.12.38.jpg
2013-06-14 17.12.46.jpg
2013-06-14 17.12.59.jpg
2013-06-14 17.13.21.jpg
2013-06-14 17.23.20.jpg

There is a little bit of "give" in that the width of the mattress does not fit exactly snugly against the sides, but it is extremely close--quite acceptable in fact. One point better than the SUV QuickBed is that because there is only one air pocket, the head area will hold its shape if you put your head on the front side. The inflation valve is also well-positioned for easy filling with a 12V air pump.

I bought this one (the twin 4D combo) over the standard one because I liked the darker color. It is not black--it is dark brown--but it matches the interior decor of my MS better. This one is a keeper.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: FalconNinetyD
From Home Depot, special buy, $14.95.

Measures 31" x 72". Would be best to buy a second piece and cut in half to fit up to the 3" lip of the folded down seat backs. That would make for a level sleeping experience, without a kink in your mattress/back.
Pardon the bad photography.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Finally, here are pictures of my preferred mattress: the Coleman Single High QuickBed Airbed Twin (with 4D Battery Pump Combo), part # 2000010290.

Size: 73" x 38" x 8".

Out of curiosity, I was trying to find your preferred mattress on amazon.

I found this: Amazon.com: COLEMAN COMPANY 5998M300 74x40x9.5 Twin Airbed: Sports Outdoors

For the pump why did you choose the 4D (Amazon.com: Coleman 4D Universal Quick Pump: Clothing) over say a 12V pump (Coleman 12-Volt DC QuickPump : Amazon.com : Sports Outdoors)?

Ok guys....

Now we need a picture of 2 people ON the bed in a Model S !!

:rolleyes:

- - - Updated - - -

Out of curiosity, I was trying to find your preferred mattress on amazon.

I found this: Amazon.com: COLEMAN COMPANY 5998M300 74x40x9.5 Twin Airbed: Sports Outdoors

For the pump why did you choose the 4D (Amazon.com: Coleman 4D Universal Quick Pump: Clothing) over say a 12V pump (Coleman 12-Volt DC QuickPump : Amazon.com : Sports Outdoors)?

Good questions.

The dark brown bottom twin mattress is only sold in the combo pack with the 4D battery pump. My interior is black; the extra cost of the pump was justified for color coordination :biggrin:. Anyway, I sold the 4D pump on ebay for $12.90 so it turned out to be close enough price-wise.

The 12V QuickPump is good. There are red and black options (for those who care about color coordination), but the black one is older (but same model) and therefore harder to find.

I also have the Ozark Trail 12V Powered Pump. It is less than $10 and performs just as well as the Coleman one. I actually prefer it because it is considerably smaller, so it fits in the crevices much more easily.

So are you able to run the AC/heater in "sleep-in-the-car-mode" by putting something heavy on the driver's seat? There was another thread mentioning that (or buckling the seat belts), but it didn't seem completely clear that it would work in practice.

So are you able to run the AC/heater in "sleep-in-the-car-mode" by putting something heavy on the driver's seat? There was another thread mentioning that (or buckling the seat belts), but it didn't seem completely clear that it would work in practice.
Having slept in the driver seat, I can say the weight doesn't keep the HVAC on. :(

Thanks for the mattress testing and suggestions. I now know how can afford a Model S. Just sell the house and live in it. I know of a good spot down by the river.

As for a weight for the seat to keep the A/C or heat on... years ago a friend of mine left the bowling alley and tossed his ball & bag into the passenger seat of his 1974 Ford Torino and tried to leave, but his car wouldn't start. He did everything he could think of, but no-go. Finally had it towed to the Ford dealer and they couldn't figure it out either. After about 4 days, he went to get some things out of it, including the bowling ball/bag. Funny thing...it started right up after he left. 1974 was one of the few years (only year?) with a seatbelt interlock to prevent the car from starting if someone was sitting in either front seat and the belt wasn't fastened.

I'm guessing a bowling ball would do the trick in a Tesla too, ya' think?

Been thinking about this for a while so I made a rough CAD drawing of the space.

View attachment 23707

I think there is a rubbermaid storage bin that you could pack with necessaries and use two or three to take up the space behind the front seats and support the foot of the bed.

I have been trying to find an inflatable mattress to take up the 3" drop but so far I have only been able to find one that could be folded in half to fit.

This crash pad may work perfectly to fit the 3" drop and create a level base. Size open is 32 x 42 x 4 and folded is 32 x 21 x 8 inches. In folded stage it will fit nicely in the trunk, leaving access to the under-the-floor compartment. The 1" extra is useful as there is some compression from the foam, versus non on the 2nd row seat backs. Cost: $135 at REI.

image.jpg

Last edited: