Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Behind-the-Scenes from a TMC Member's Appearance on Jay Leno's Garage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was waiting to see how long it would be before someone noticed it. You and I have them on the wrong side of the car. When Tesla installed them I noticed it was wrong and told them, and even pointed out the engraved markings on the inside rim. I just took a picture - it shows LH and RH on the wheels. The problem is the tires are also unidirectional so they should only go one way. Since they mounted them they would have to uninstall all 4 tires, mount them on the correct wheels then rebalance all of them. I figured they would end up scratching one so I just told them to leave it as is and I would correct it next time I get tires.

IMG_0365_sm.jpg

Desi

Last edited:
The prices are all over the map. One just sold on Bring A Trailer for $52K with 61K miles. Others have sold there between $38K and $65K, however Bring A Trailer is not really the best place to sell an EV - mostly die hard fans of older original cars. I follow their site all the time, but for gas cars.

Right now on eBay there are 2 for $40K (134K miles and 87K miles), 1 for $60K (5600 miles) and another for $70K (1800 miles!).

But it also depends on options, color, condition of course, and some are a Sport model that is 0.2 seconds faster 0-60 with suspension and other differences. The exposed carbon fiber in the interior and on the exterior would be a bump in price as well (unless you don't care for that).

And you have the beautiful silver one right above this message.

How much does the Sport model command a premium over the non-sport models? I've seen some go all the way out to $90k in the past. Also, I see some with R3.0 badging, is that a unicorn? Please someone educate me.

Also, after the Jay Leno episode, depending on what Donald Osborne says the value is - they may skyrocket immediately!

When I was buying mine in 2013 I did not worry about Sport versus non-Sport - it was not a priority for me - I wanted color and condition as my first priorities. I looked at maybe 10-12 cars in person - actually flying from the West coast to the East coast to see one - before I found the right one.

R3.0 is the new Roadster battery upgrade that we can't seem to get any more:
Roadster 3.0 Battery Upgrade

Well, I'm not sure his estimate will change the market, but if so, great, because it was much higher than my estimate.

Reactions: gigawatt1010
Found this text posted somewhere here over the years regarding the Sport option:

Roadster Sport
The Roadster Sport is the first derivative of Tesla’s proprietary, patented powertrain. The car accelerates from 0-60 mph in 3.7 seconds, compared to 3.9 seconds for the standard Roadster. You can really feel the extra power – particularly in the 20 to 50 mph range. In addition, the Sport has:
• A motor that generates 295 pound-feet (400 Newton meters) of power for faster acceleration than the standard Roadster. The Sport’s addictive torque is most obvious from 0 to 5,100 rpm.
• Unique firmware achieved from significant R&D efforts among Tesla’s engineering teams on two continents. This firmware is the “secret sauce” that wrings more torque out of the motor.
• Adjustable suspension that can be tuned to the driver’s preference, including a sport or a comfort setting.
• Distinct Sport badging on the interior and exterior of the car, including special “S” insignia on the leather seats.
• Lightweight, forged black or silver wheels.
• Yokohama’s Ultra High Performance tires.

The base Roadster was $109,000 and the Sport $128,500 - then add on various options up past $150,000.

I bought my Roadster 2.5 #1180 new in May 2011 from Tesla in Menlo Park which was the factory at that time. So if there was only one made, is mine a fake?

Yours is very real. There were 86 produced in Electric Blue for North American VINs (and approx. 84 remaining). However, I was referring to there being only one fully-optioned 2.5 ever produced in that color (VIN 11XX), which has never been photographed. This is why I applaud @AltPowr for retroactively adding all of the options, thus making his car a fully optioned example we can happily stare at! :)

• Informative
Reactions: ra88it
I was waiting to see how long it would be before someone noticed it. You and I have them on the wrong side of the car. When Tesla installed them I noticed it was wrong and told them, and even pointed out the engraved markings on the inside rim. I just took a picture - it shows LH and RH on the wheels. The problem is the tires are also unidirectional so they should only go one way. Since they mounted them they would have to uninstall all 4 tires, mount them on the correct wheels then rebalance all of them. I figured they would end up scratching one so I just told them to leave it as is and I would correct it next time I get tires.

IMG_0365_sm.jpg

Desi
Ah, I never noticed the marking on the inside of the rim. When you say 'when Tesla installed them' - did your car have the non-forged wheels to begin with?

My car is one of the first few 2.5s produced according to rumors and VIN, and it was assembled with the wheels in the wrong direction. I kind of think it's cool and unique. The 1.5 and 2.0 wheels have their spokes pointing forward, so whoever was on assembly probably just went with that convention.

Ah, I never noticed the marking on the inside of the rim. When you say 'when Tesla installed them' - did your car have the non-forged wheels to begin with?

My car is one of the first few 2.5s produced according to rumors and VIN, and it was assembled with the wheels in the wrong direction. I kind of think it's cool and unique. The 1.5 and 2.0 wheels have their spokes pointing forward, so whoever was on assembly probably just went with that convention.

Yes, I had the standard wheels and no exposed carbon fiber body parts. It was a VERY expensive upgrade on their website, which I purchased, and it included installation. I kept a screen shot of the options on their website because I knew they would go away. Some of the pictures are of the earlier 1.5/2.0 body kit, and the picture of the wheels are 1.5/2.0, but they assured me I would get the 2.5 style.

2014-02-17_03-05-19.jpg

2014-02-17_03-05-49.jpg

Yes, I had the standard wheels and no exposed carbon fiber body parts. It was a VERY expensive upgrade on their website, which I purchased, and it included installation. I kept a screen shot of the options on their website because I knew they would go away. Some of the pictures are of the earlier 1.5/2.0 body kit, and the picture of the wheels are 1.5/2.0, but they assured me I would get the 2.5 style.

2014-02-17_03-05-19.jpg

2014-02-17_03-05-49.jpg
Nice! I remember browsing that site. My car came with every option (carbon interior, carbon front spoiler lip and intake vents) except for clear carbon rear spoiler and clear carbon hood vanes. I shelled out for the rear spoiler ($1500 I believe), but couldn't swallow the $4000 price tag for the clear carbon hood vanes. I regret it now, and am still hunting for a set (though I've heard they are nightmarish to install, which is primarily why the price was so high).

Anyone happen to have a clear carbon hood set?? :)

Love the Electric Blue. Thanks for alerting TMC about this for their lead news article. Occasionally I watch Jay’s Garage, but if not for it being on here otherwise might have missed it tonight. Really Beautiful car. Hope you continue to enjoy it for years to come. Nice appreciation value there too.

So very cool also that you can say that Jay drove your car and it was on his show. Any nervousness with him taking it out with Osborne or do you let others drive it too?

Is there a way to watch the episode if you don't have TV service?

DeedWest... I keep looking at your white Roadster with the hard top. It looks just like mine - number 901! I put a hard top on right after I bought it and I really like the look.
They usually upload the segments to their YouTube channel at some point after after airing so I would check there. I am sure when it is put on YouTube someone will probably share the link here.

Thanks for the comments everyone - it was definitely a blast to do. Within a few weeks the full episode will show up here:

Jay Leno’s Garage

I was very nervous about allowing Jay to go driving around - I usually don't let anyone else drive my car - as we all know it's not really replaceable. On his way out his driveway there was a small scrape, so that made it even worse. But I know from experience that almost all the time it scrapes the bolt heads under the carbon fiber spoiler. So when I checked later that day, there were no scrapes on the spoiler at all, just many on the bolt heads.

I personally was blown away by the $100,000 appraised value as that seems to be a good bit higher than most Roadsters are selling for. That said your car looks awesome and you have taken good care of it. Would you mind sharing the mileage and CAC or the Ideal miles it charges to on a standard charge? You did well as it appears you timed the market well. And what an awesome plug to have your car featured on Jay Leno's garage.

Last edited:
Reactions: ra88it
I wish he went more in depth about what it could be worth in the future or down the line with even more appreciation; all the knowledge he knew about the car seems like he would have at gotten into this a little from the scarcity of the car.