Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Before They Knew Tesla Wasn't Going To Pay For Advertising

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find it very interesting how this thread turned out. I’m glad that it stayed alive so more people would get a chance to read this very positive review of an early Model S.

My two cents on the quote: “It's the most important car America has made in an entire lifetime." It’s a bit ambiguous, but definitely referring to a normal human lifetime, so conservatively the most important car in the last 80 years. But regardless of what he’s literally saying, he’s just saying that it’s very significant car in the evolution of the automobile. I agree.

Reactions: SMAlset
Service? Parts? The S and 3 don't need service
So you think that all those cars in service centers are there just visiting for fun?

Maybe Seattle SC is still having teething problems.
Seattle has 2 large service centers. There are thousands of Teslas in this area, you pretty much see them everywhere when driving around. The 2 service centers are probably some of the most experienced Tesla service centers around. They have also been providing stellar service ever since my first 2013 car, but they can only do what they can withing Tesla corporate limitations. If Tesla makes bad parts, they can only keep swapping new bad parts in. If Tesla doesn't provide them with enough loaners, they can't create one for you out of thin air. If they need a part, they are at the mercy of Tesla parts department.

Service departments are amazingly small.
You obviously haven't seen some of service centers like the two around Seattle.

If you want to fix things, that ICE has over a thousand moving parts, sloshing around in quarts of oil, requiring SERVICE every few thousand miles. ( I had/have 80,000 miles on both of my Ss and 10K on the 3. No service. Try doing that on your ICE.)
All 4 of our Tesla required some service before 1000 miles. The 2017 MS required service starting on delivery day - one mirror assembly per month until Tesla finally released a new and improved version that worked 3 months later. My wife was getting fed up with having to spend 3-4hrs a month going for service with a brand new $100K car, but I justified it to her as a trade off of driving an awesome car - it's "teething problems" I said like you - they are still working out the kinks, and service people are always awesome. When her brand new 2018 MS would throw charging errors, Tesla took care of it quickly (evidently engineering forgot to thoroughly test with older Tesla chargers). However, when recently she got stranded because the trunk wouldn't close in cold weather, that's when I realized that the appointment line is a month long. I've had a good relationship with the service folks, managed to get Mobile Tech out a week and a bit later, but they don't stock parts. So, we ordered the trunk latch - it just arrived today (3 weeks later). I scheduled an appointment to replace it in 2 weeks. All the while my wife is afraid to open a trunk in her less than a year old $100K car.

Your signature says you have a 2015 Model S. 2 days ago I realized I can't connect to my 2015 Model S in the garage when I went to pre-heat it, went to the car, main screen dark, 2 minutes, nothing comes up, car says systems powering up and can't drive until they do. I hit and hold the thumbwheels, let go and wait, another 2 minutes later I finally get the grey screen with T logo - *sheesh* it booted, I dodged a bullet. While waiting for the computers to boot, I started thinking, what am I going to do if it doesn't boot? Am I going to have to rent a car for a month while waiting for an appointment, then for however long to get a new, now obsolete MCU ordered?

Don't even get me started on collision repairs. We went through it less than a year ago. It took 3 weeks to get an estimate, I heard few months later the wait grew to 3 months. I hope since they added more capacity than the one single shop in the whole Seattle area which does Tesla structural repairs. Lucky for us our car got totaled, because it's faster to get a new Model S built than to fix one.

Is Version 9 really that bad? I haven’t seen a compelling reason to upgrade to it yet.

I was thinking even if my Tesla just had old analogue style gauges I would still love driving it. I definitely didn’t buy it for the touchscreen. But I know what you mean, I’m not happy about them removing functionality. Hopefully they get their *sugar* together.
v9 is not the main reason I wouldn't buy a Tesla now, but it doesn't help. Mostly it's parts and service availability that makes me think Tesla car is a risky buy today, unless you're buying it as an extra car you drive just for fun but don't really need it every day. That said, v9 is the worse release ever, I wouldn't rush to upgrade if I were you (I wish I could go back to v8). Main complaints:
  1. I can'd do 2 apps I usually use - camera and browser or camera top, nav bottom
  2. browser doesn't work 95% of the time - when I say doesn't work, I mean completely dead even though LTE shows 3 bars.
  3. 2 things I usually do while driving - suspension adjust and turn on lights are now buried into more levels of touch clicking, and on MCU1 it takes time
  4. 3rd thing I do while driving, cold weather, is not tiny icons and whenever I click them when I get rid of them it forgets what window configuration I had up on the screen, so now I have to peck to start the camera and slide to move it up - not ultra fast eiether
  5. making a phone call takes clicking tiny icons on the bottom of the screen - almost got into an accident once already
  6. first time in a long time I saw the main screen just hang and not turn on when back in the car - maybe my 3.5 year old MCU is dying - yet another reason why I hate everything touch screen, you can't even drive the car while it's waiting for "systems are powering up". If MCU dies, your car is grounded for however long it takes to make an 2 appointments (one to diagnose, one after part comes in) plus the time it takes to get the part in, my guess 2-3 months.
v9 looks fancy, but its usability is total crap. I was never a fan of everything touch screen, but this release just takes the cake for why touch screen is not a good idea. I sure hope Audi and Porsche puts some physical buttons for things like lights and/or suspension controls.

Last edited:
Just so you know WhiteX, not everyone has the same experience you have. I have been to service 4 times in 65k miles on my 2015. I have never had an excessively long wait. It makes total sense that things that prevent driving will be prioritized and you should get a loaner. That is what happens around me - although I have never had a serious issue.

I have a minor issue with V9 in that it seems to hang a bit and struggle to connect at a work location that was never a problem before. Didn't exactly correlate with updating so it might be another issue. Otherwise, I have no problem with V9 functionality.

Most computers don't hang a bit while they are "dying". They fail 100% - there is no degradation first. I am not saying that is always true - but I wouldn't lose sleep over your MCU.

Since you hate your car so much, perhaps it is time to sell. I suspect you don't because there really is no better EV to go to. It is frustrating but nothing we can do about it. And living without a supercharger is not something I would be willing to do. So even though you are frustrated, you don't have a lot of reasonable options. Sort of like living in the US in 2018.

So you vent on the forum. Does it help?

Just so you know WhiteX, not everyone has the same experience you have. I have been to service 4 times in 65k miles on my 2015. I have never had an excessively long wait. It makes total sense that things that prevent driving will be prioritized and you should get a loaner. That is what happens around me - although I have never had a serious issue.

I have a minor issue with V9 in that it seems to hang a bit and struggle to connect at a work location that was never a problem before. Didn't exactly correlate with updating so it might be another issue. Otherwise, I have no problem with V9 functionality.

Most computers don't hang a bit while they are "dying". They fail 100% - there is no degradation first. I am not saying that is always true - but I wouldn't lose sleep over your MCU.

Since you hate your car so much, perhaps it is time to sell. I suspect you don't because there really is no better EV to go to. It is frustrating but nothing we can do about it. And living without a supercharger is not something I would be willing to do. So even though you are frustrated, you don't have a lot of reasonable options. Sort of like living in the US in 2018.

So you vent on the forum. Does it help?
First I don't hate the car. I'm just saying it may not be a good time to buy one with the change in service and parts availability. Second, it sounds like you had all your issues more than 6 months ago, so before the Model 3 floodgates opened. I had no problems with service speed before then. I hope for you sake you don't need service, or end up like this member in his post here. Third, you are right, Tesla is still the only game in town for a viable desirable EV, so that is in fact a big reason why they have such success at the moment. Once competitors come out, Tesla will have to compete or lose all those people who only bought one because they had no other choices - it's easy to be #1 of 1, right? So you hit the nail on the had. Typically, I would have already switched to a new car by now. If Tesla didn't disappoint, I would likely have had at least one P100D's in my garage, but given the crap they pulled since I got the P85D I am hanging onto it until there is a better option. That said, I don't hold a grudge, if it's Tesla that comes up with a better option, I will buy that, so we'll see. It will be an interesting couple of years. As for venting, maybe that's part of the reason, but mainly just trying to warn others who may want to hear more than Elon's hype such as how everyone gets a P100D loaner when servicing their Tesla.

• Funny
Reactions: henderrj and RAW84
Thanks for the article @Electroman and enjoyed the thread's title. First time reading the article for me.

Yes, after reading the article did find it interesting in the tangent the thread took off on. Have to say I haven't read glowing articles by the present day automobile press as this. The minor "issues" they had with the car certainly weren't bad and I noticed a number of things were later addressed by Tesla like the parcel shelf (optional and then included). I'll even go as far to say it was a beautifully written piece.

My husband followed Tesla's developments from way back to early Roadster days, but it wasn't until end of 2016 when he decided he wouldn't wait any longer to buy a MS. So many changes have happened to the car in body details, batteries, configurations and software/hardware since the article came out but honestly I still feel like the Model S is all that. Don't really feel like the Model 3 has been treated well and even now sometimes hard to find an article that can't refrain from mentioning Elon's run ins with the press or short-sellers, etc or the fact that Tesla still hasn't released the base price model. Most of the time I just skip over these review articles for that reason.

Can't wait to see where we are 10 years down the road.