Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BC EV Charger Rebate Program $700

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Too bad the Tesla charger doesn't qualify. If you have a LR and want to max the charge rate, and factor in the cost of a charger that will do 48A (e.g. Sun Country EV60 for $1299), you might as well get the HPWC ($635) because after rebate, you're not left with enough to buy a spare J1772 adapter. (Actually, if you factor in taxes, I guess the EV60 after rebate will still end up costing more than the HPWC.)

On the flip side, after rebate you could get a 32A-40A charger for pretty much nothing, and for a SR+ that would already be enough to max your charge rate. Downside is using the J1772 adapter all the time.

Now if only Tesla would sell the wall connector with J1772 plug they've been know to install at destination charging sites.

Too bad the Tesla charger doesn't qualify. If you have a LR and want to max the charge rate, and factor in the cost of a charger that will do 48A (e.g. Sun Country EV60 for $1299), you might as well get the HPWC ($635) because after rebate, you're not left with enough to buy a spare J1772 adapter. (Actually, if you factor in taxes, I guess the EV60 after rebate will still end up costing more than the HPWC.)

On the flip side, after rebate you could get a 32A-40A charger for pretty much nothing, and for a SR+ that would already be enough to max your charge rate. Downside is using the J1772 adapter all the time.

Now if only Tesla would sell the wall connector with J1772 plug they've been know to install at destination charging sites.

I do agree with all points. I might just get a 40A charger to save $$$. I do not see myself needing a faster charge rate. In the rare case I need to charge faster, there is a urban charger within 5 minute drive to my house.

Any recommendation on cheap outdoor 40A chargers that I can purchase in BC (One of the conditions so Amazon is not an option) ?

I do agree with all points. I might just get a 40A charger to save $$$. I do not see myself needing a faster charge rate. In the rare case I need to charge faster, there is a urban charger within 5 minute drive to my house.

Any recommendation on cheap outdoor 40A chargers that I can purchase in BC (One of the conditions so Amazon is not an option) ?
I guess I missed the "purchased in BC" part. I wonder what the exact requirement is. Anyhow, there's a list of manufacturers and "Local" suppliers here, but many of the "Local" ones seem to be online stores that are out of province: Charging Station Equipment - Plug In BC

Still waiting to take delivery, still planning the home charger. For SR+ wouldn't it be fine if you just bought a 2nd J1772 adapter? Leave one at home attached and take one on the road if needed? I'm brand new to the EV scene so if I'm missing something let me know :) $700 would be a nice chunk of change off the install cost.

Still waiting to take delivery, still planning the home charger. For SR+ wouldn't it be fine if you just bought a 2nd J1772 adapter? Leave one at home attached and take one on the road if needed? I'm brand new to the EV scene so if I'm missing something let me know :) $700 would be a nice chunk of change off the install cost.
I use thej1772 adapter a couple times a week and it’s cumbersome. Sometimes tight fit and tough to remove, sometimes loose fit and won’t lock on. It’s not a deal breaker, and adds almost no actual time to plugging in, 20 seconds tops when I have to look for it, or fiddle with it, but it’s something I wish I didn’t have to do, and I notice it’s more pleasant every time I plug into a Tesla charger and it’s just quicker, no fit issues, and less things to do.

The adapter is $100 and I'm fine with using my UMC. I'd rather continue to do that than get a free J1772 charger and pay for an adapter.

I got a free chargepoint charger earlier this year through the "Zapbc" program. They give out 1000 free chargers annually. They are done for 2019, but they expect the program to restart for 2020. Not sure if you can double dip, use the new BC EV rebate plus the ZapBC program.

• Informative
Reactions: fidodido
Too bad they don't just give us a rebate on 240v wall outlet (NEMA 14-50). Would be cheaper to do and apply to all EVs
I know. I have an electrician coming this week to install a 14-30 receptacle in the carport only for EV charging. Was thinking of buying a plug-in, wall-mounted charger (there are some on the "approved" list) and then just hawking it on Craigslist (it seems cheesy to return it to the store) after the install. I didn't click all the way through to rebate screen to see if doing so would be a breach of the terms of the rebate (although it didn't jump out at me on first blush), but too much of a hassle for me personally to try and save a few hundred bucks.

I would just leave the EV charger installed, but, from what I can tell, there's no benefit for a Tesla (programming start times, etc.), and, in fact, only a drawback (you have to use the adapter). So it seems dumb for me to buy something I don't need just to try and take advantage of the rebate. If I get a second electric (non-Tesla) down the road, I figure I can just buy something at that time.

In my experience, a licensed electrician will want a permit to install an outside 220V outlet, and it's needed for the rebate.

The fees are dependent on the value of the job. If it doesn't exceed $1k in YVR, then you're under $200, but goes up to ~$250 up to $2k.

upload_2019-9-29_20-38-31.png

I got a free chargepoint charger earlier this year through the "Zapbc" program. They give out 1000 free chargers annually. They are done for 2019, but they expect the program to restart for 2020. Not sure if you can double dip, use the new BC EV rebate plus the ZapBC program.

No, as in the fine print or somewhere I saw that.

I know. I have an electrician coming this week to install a 14-30 receptacle in the carport only for EV charging. Was thinking of buying a plug-in, wall-mounted charger (there are some on the "approved" list) and then just hawking it on Craigslist (it seems cheesy to return it to the store) after the install. I didn't click all the way through to rebate screen to see if doing so would be a breach of the terms of the rebate (although it didn't jump out at me on first blush), but too much of a hassle for me personally to try and save a few hundred bucks.

I would just leave the EV charger installed, but, from what I can tell, there's no benefit for a Tesla (programming start times, etc.), and, in fact, only a drawback (you have to use the adapter). So it seems dumb for me to buy something I don't need just to try and take advantage of the rebate. If I get a second electric (non-Tesla) down the road, I figure I can just buy something at that time.

I feel the same. It's more cumbersome than benefit to "fit" myself into that rebate. Is there significant benefit to install an approved "charger" than just the receptacle? If not, why I want to spend $500 (rebate covers only 50% I believe) to install a $1000 charger gives me no benefit, while I can spend only $200 - $300 for a receptacle? Besides, electrician will raise the prize, they did say that, if you want the rebate.