Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

BBC iPlayer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was sat at the Broxden Supercharger on Monday. Having been stuck in the A9 traffic coming south. Got Fish 'n Chips for tea. Sat in the car charging and thought I would catch up on the Olympics. Using the browser navigated to BBC iPlayer (I have premium connectivity) but no joy - the BBC says iPlayer not available for your region. I presume because Tesla route the connectivity through the USA.

So made my phone into a WiFi hotspot and connected to that. The car was definitely connected to WiFi (symbol in the top right) - but still no joy with the same message. So watched the games on the small screen on my phone (no trouble at all).

Was I doing something wrong? Why won't iPlayer work using my phone's WiFi?

Thanks.

That's what Morhydro did.
Not quite… Morhydro said he navigated directly to iplayer in the in car browser, when i do that it never works, regardless of if i use LTE or wifi. if you follow the link I posted when you use the in car browser then click on iplayer icon it then takes you to the youtube app (you have to click on continue to website) that works all the time for me

Reactions: MrT3
Yeah I had this recently using my phone as a hotspot. Maybe it just needed to properly refresh the IP address and it remembered from the previous session. I went into the wifi and manually selected my phone and then it worked (via the teslatv link). Bit fussy though and by the time I’d done all that I was done charging anyway :p

Can I check on this please? I was going to raise a new thread but can’t find something more appropriate.

I am not making this up am I?

We used to be unable to get uk content on our M3’s because the chip used/ sim provider was a Netherlands based provider. As I understand it this changed at the end of last year and we all could access YouTube without the Dutch ads and view iPlayer as if in uk.

My car now seems to have reverted back to an NL IP address.

My connectivity board was swapped out by Tesla on 14/1. Sc tell me that nl content is normal but I’m insistent that this information was correct previously but changed at the end of last year.

I’m I imagining it?

Or do I need to connect via Wi-Fi run a session and then it will remember I’m in the uk?

Can I check on this please? I was going to raise a new thread but can’t find something more appropriate.

I am not making this up am I?

We used to be unable to get uk content on our M3’s because the chip used/ sim provider was a Netherlands based provider. As I understand it this changed at the end of last year and we all could access YouTube without the Dutch ads and view iPlayer as if in uk.

My car now seems to have reverted back to an NL IP address.

My connectivity board was swapped out by Tesla on 14/1. Sc tell me that nl content is normal but I’m insistent that this information was correct previously but changed at the end of last year.

I’m I imagining it?

Or do I need to connect via Wi-Fi run a session and then it will remember I’m in the uk?
You are correct. This should no longer be an issue. I have done a lot of waiting in hospital car parks recently and iPlayer works just fine!

You are correct. This should no longer be an issue. I have done a lot of waiting in hospital car parks recently and iPlayer works just fine!
Yep just what I thought.

Just tried a reboot and after connecting on Wi-Fi where iPlayer did work, off Wi-Fi it doesn’t. SC seem to be working off old information, does anyone have more official release or information on the change please so I can re-raise or update my case with Tesla.

Wouldn’t be so bad but I am paying the tenner a month. *rolls eyes*

Attachments

• ACD2AF47-AC81-47A0-AEB2-CBC3540156B5.jpeg
    ACD2AF47-AC81-47A0-AEB2-CBC3540156B5.jpeg
    342.9 KB · Views: 184
Yep just what I thought.

Just tried a reboot and after connecting on Wi-Fi where iPlayer did work, off Wi-Fi it doesn’t. SC seem to be working off old information, does anyone have more official release or information on the change please so I can re-raise or update my case with Tesla.

Wouldn’t be so bad but I am paying the tenner a month. *rolls eyes*
The change took place in very early December. I vaguely recall there were some reports of the browser holding onto some ID cookies that hadn't refreshed and retained the issue for a while. I access via the tesla.tv web portal.

Ok need your help here fellow TESLA owners.

Here are two comms from the Tesla SC. I think they are wrong. I was able to view UK iplayer content on my car last month and I’ve never hotspotted at all as it’s a faff. As long as I’ve had my car 4/12/21 I’ve never seen the Dutch ads on YouTube until today!
So I need info on the issue please. Feel like I’m thread jacking (Sorry op).
1)
Thank you for contacting Tesla.

Regarding the vehicle IP address showing as in the Netherlands, this is to be expected due to the SIM provider that we use and when use 4G/LTE. This will change to a UK IP address when you use a Wi-Fi connection or a hotspot and you will be able to see UK content.

As no appointment is necessary, we will look to remove the appointment from the diary although please feel free to re-schedule if you have any further issues in the future.

Thank you,
Tesla Service”

2)
You will only be able to see UK content if the vehicle is connected to a Wi-Fi source or hot spotting from your phone.

Thank you,
Tesla Service

Last edited: