Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery coolant heater failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ranger told me yesterday my coolant heater is bad if water pump is working? I pulled Frunk out this am. Zero water heat. Now to find the water heater. I've had this problem for year. Help desk kept saying all is perfect.
He pulled error codes, I had water heater error codes. Pump is running 24/7 , but no hot water, its 50. Has to be 68.
I have NO regeneration warning cause coolant is too cold.

Ranger told me yesterday my coolant heater is bad if water pump is working? I pulled Frunk out this am. Zero water heat. Now to find the water heater. I've had this problem for year. Help desk kept saying all is perfect.
He pulled error codes, I had water heater error codes. Pump is running 24/7 , but no hot water, its 50. Has to be 68.
I have NO regeneration warning cause coolant is too cold.

If the Ranger said the heater is bad, why not take it to a service center and have them see? There has to be a way for them to manually activate and check it. Give them your data too (temperatures and regeneration warning) and explain that it's been happening for a year.

• Love
Reactions: chrisb8s
It blows my mind that the help desk in Draper cannot look at the error codes? Or will not, they want you in the service center. I work 8 to 5, its 50 miles to SC north, 50 miles to west work, 50 miles east home, not able to do that without charging.
So, ranger comes to car, plugs in laptop, x is bad. Make appointment to get fixed, I dont carry that part.
Thanks man. Will do.

Had our S in this week for a couple of things including a fan noise when charging. I’ll give them credit, they checked the coolant heater isolation and the resistance was low-(135M Ohms vs 550M Spec) they replaced the heater under extended warranty. Glad to know that it’s not going to die on us out at a supercharger somewhere. Think the fan noise may have been a red herring, but it got them to look at it.

Reactions: Kalud
I have a 2017 Model X. The Coolant Heater was just replaced. The reason mine was replaced was due to the following error messages that came on vehicle screen. (1) Vehicle may not restart - Service is required. (2) Acceleration and top speed reduced - Performance may be restored on next drive. All these was the day before Thanksgiving. Reported the issue via Tesla App. I was scheduled for the following week Friday. Because of the message that the vehicle may not restart I didn't drive the car for the next few days until I spoke with Tesla the following week Monday. Tesla SC actually called me that Monday morning. They asked if I could bring the vehicle in the next day because they fear the vehicle may actually die-out before Friday (my scheduled service date). Tuesday morning at 9AM I dropped off the vehicle, they had a loaner MS waiting for me. At 3:45PM same day, I got a call that my vehicle was ready for pick up. They had replace the Coolant Heater and they also updated vehicle software to maintain compatibility with Tesla connectivity network. I didn't even know that the software for network needed an update. BIG KUDOS to Brian Griffin (Service Advisor) and the Service Technician (I don't know his/her name) at Tesla Service Center, Superior, Colorado.............I'm very pleased with the service I received from the SC.

I have a 2017 Model X. The Coolant Heater was just replaced. The reason mine was replaced was due to the following error messages that came on vehicle screen. (1) Vehicle may not restart - Service is required. (2) Acceleration and top speed reduced - Performance may be restored on next drive. All these was the day before Thanksgiving. Reported the issue via Tesla App. I was scheduled for the following week Friday. Because of the message that the vehicle may not restart I didn't drive the car for the next few days until I spoke with Tesla the following week Monday. Tesla SC actually called me that Monday morning. They asked if I could bring the vehicle in the next day because they fear the vehicle may actually die-out before Friday (my scheduled service date). Tuesday morning at 9AM I dropped off the vehicle, they had a loaner MS waiting for me. At 3:45PM same day, I got a call that my vehicle was ready for pick up. They had replace the Coolant Heater and they also updated vehicle software to maintain compatibility with Tesla connectivity network. I didn't even know that the software for network needed an update. BIG KUDOS to Brian Griffin (Service Advisor) and the Service Technician (I don't know his/her name) at Tesla Service Center, Superior, Colorado.............I'm very pleased with the service I received from the SC.

I am now having the exact same issue now on my Model X and just took it to the SC and they said it'll cost $1600 to replace. Ridiculous. Anything I can do t get them to reduce the fee? Thx.