Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bad time to buy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you expand a little on that statement?

I'm sitting on the fence wondering about that same question.

With the introduction of the Model 3 at a low price point of app. $60,000 with all the new innovation, isn't that going to hammer the resale value of the X and S.
If you can wait, wait until you cannot wait anymore, there's a whole bunch of new exciting stuff in the pipeline (that may or may not make it into production).
Decide for yourself if there is a feature that you cannot live without that's not there yet and wait for it.
Personally I think there's going to be a interior and CID refresh sometime soon, they cannot just run for 5+ years and not change that,
esp. since 3 already paved the way somewhat. Other dated stuff will be refreshed at the same time like the wifi module and the cell module.

Personally I don't think 3 will impact X much, I find S to be terrible compared to X, and 3 is even smaller... They cater to different demographics.

Can you expand a little on that statement?

I'm sitting on the fence wondering about that same question.

With the introduction of the Model 3 at a low price point of app. $60,000 with all the new innovation, isn't that going to hammer the resale value of the X and S.

Yes it will.. can't change that. But main reason to wait is we have not seen ap2.5 in s and x yet (driver/cabin cam/CPU) and my guess is it has not really been talked about till they can get it in s and x.

Biggest changes have happened after end of q3 (AP1 ap2 refresh etc.). If you can wait till then or later that is better.

Is it a bad time to buy, that is the question? So I put a reservation for model X yesterday. This will be my second Tesla my first was the model S with AP1. The reason I chose the X this time it is that I'm hoping I can get away without having a truck and car. I know most everything there is to discuss as far as the pros and cons of buying right now, but I just can't get past worrying whether or not there's going to be a major change at the end of fourth-quarter? I'm tired of playing the waiting game and if I wait too long I won't be able to utilize my sales tax from my old Tesla Which will save me about $8000. I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance that I didn't make a mistake placing this order on Saturday. Thanks guys and gals.

Huge strategic mistake. Wait a few months, what's the hurry? Unless you get one of the screaming deals on the Inventory cars.

Reactions: Swift and number12
Also slower 0-60? Mistake?

True!

It's a real mess right now around performance specs and battery variants :eek:. Wonder how Tesla is going to sort this out? At least the BTX7 and BTX8 batteries are real and why on earth does Tesla randomly put those bigger batteries into cars?? One thing if they move over to these bigger batteries for all cars produced after a certain date, but it seems new ordered vehicles today get BTX5 for both X and S. Does not make sense at all!

Come out from the dark Tesla and give us an explanation!

Reactions: Swift
My OA also said Saturday was the last day for custom orders to lock in the .99 rate. I've seen other threads on here though where people have been told the promo would be extended but haven't gotten anything official.
This might be true as he may have a production slot that will get a September delivery and 0.99% financing (ending in September?). It's a little late for that.. The Design Studio is saying October even before you commit, which usually means, impossible for September unless you take over a cancelled slot, perhaps.

What I was saying before about 0.99% being around was applying to inventory cars, which meant you could purchase until late next month. A custom order's cutoff is a lot sooner!

And, on the extension, Alliant (the usual lender) says end of September, but others may be doing it also and for longer.

I feel like TMC needs a sticky thread modeled after the mac rumors buyers guide that says "Tesla model X - last updated recently - BuyNow" always saying updated recently and buy now. It'll always be true.
Apple products follow a ~yearly update cycle.

Here's an alternate version:

Tesla Model X - obsolete, major and minor updates next quarter - do not buy now

Best way to purchase is to wait until the next sizeable update. They just cut the 0-60 time by about a second, a couple months ago, right? Wait for the next big update. Something should happen by end of year. Also probably want to buy by end of year for free supercharging.

I also don't see the point of waiting. There will always be an upgrade (major or minor) only a few months away. You're happy with what you buy or not. If not, don't bother buying. By the time they stop constantly updating the X, it will be on its way out of production either because of a significant refresh ( which just starts the cycle again) or for a completely different model (which will also have the same constant update cycle).

A significant refresh is nowhere near. You will know that time is coming when the S gets refreshed. 6-12 months after the S gets refreshed you might see the X get refreshed.

Best way to purchase is to wait until the next sizeable update. They just cut the 0-60 time by about a second, a couple months ago, right? Wait for the next big update. Something should happen by end of year. Also probably want to buy by end of year for free supercharging.
Just like so may of us were incentivized to buy at the end of 2016 for the end of free supercharging. Tesla has zero credibility these days.

Reactions: EVger and outie
There is never good time. Now is the time! as long as your budget allows.

One consolation for me is that I may miss some cool recent features(like speed upgrade for Model S) but eventually when I upgrade the car in 3~8 years, then I know I may have some new features that people who buy today may lack by then.

Reactions: Magus and Mjølner