Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AXPW Investment Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
reading your posts it seems like the enemy has brainwashed you during your time with him.

That's the kind of personal attack I was referring to earlier.

Just a parenthesis about that: I am not expecting you to realize that or to think about apologizing, just to point out how this became so common here that people don't realize it anymore; heck, if you are some kind of landlord or thought leader here too, you may even feel entitled to that kind of BS; as long as it stays in low concentrations, I will simply forget about that coming from you, because you bring so much value in other threads - parenthesis closed.

to save that 160 gallons of gas in your first example you have to consume 3,040 gallons of gas. so if you believe there are unpriced externalities in gasoline consumption, start-stop doesn't really help much.

that's not to say start stop isn't helpful or viable. it is.

but with motor vehicles on the road growing by almost 5% annually, all start stop can do is set us back a bit. it can't really make a large dent in gasoline consumption beyond the 5%. getting 10-20% of vehicles running electric can make a difference.

one of the founding principles of tesla was that unpriced externalities in oil consumption are unimaginably expensive. some of us agree with that, and some of us agree with peterson.

You see, there are other colors in the world than black and white. It's not "either you are with the enemy or with us". It will take a very long time to get to that 10-20% you mention, and in the meantime anything that can improve things should not be discarded. Especially if it has the potential to make money in the same time.

"There is no better correlation to the market success of the product and therefore of the stock you are considering."

twist your meaning as you wish, we are still in the investor forum here. if you want to push a low margin commodity technology as having abnormally high investment returns because it will have a high adoption rate, my suggestion is put your money where your mouth is and go buy exide while it is "at a discount."

Exide has nothing special. Axion has. And as long as they have a special product that fits perfectly to some niches, they will be able to command higher prices / margins.

We are still talking about a penny stock, are we not? If I had blindly followed JP's excellent advice, ditched my Tesla stock and bought Axion then instead of being up about 200% on my initial investment, I'd be down that much.

We are still talking about a penny stock, are we not? If I had blindly followed JP's excellent advice, ditched my Tesla stock and bought Axion then instead of being up about 200% on my initial investment, I'd be down that much.

I thought I have answered your very similar question here
Nonsense from John Petersen - Page 4

I agree with you that it is very easy to predict the past, I could cite you tens of mistakes of some of the greatest traders / investors ever (definitely in a higher class than JP). But this is not the topic at all - by the way, I have fought JP with his Tesla / Exide bet near the borderline of degrading our friendship (I see this is a recurring thing in this thread).

The topic is where should one invest now for the future. Is Tesla still a good bet above $50? For the short term? For the long term? Axion came just as a side discussion and I answer those who refer to that. I am not here to sell AXPW by any means. Please stay away from it.

But when reasonable people refuse independent information (i.e. not authored by JP), and investing turns to cheer-landing, I get scared for my TSLA calls. If I was not so greedy about the possible short squeeze (yes, I'm a bit of a gambler too) that I've been waiting for for 18 months, I would have sold everything last Friday and waited to get back in in the low $30s or (God forbid) even lower.

I also see many newbies who get in TSLA now, or sell on the way up and then buy at a higher price. On Tesla's own forums, people think about jeopardizing their mortgage to get in TSLA now. This is completely crazy!!!

Others who found the worst moment and one of the most volatile / dangerous stocks to start experimenting with options. I cry wolf but the cheers cover my voice. I hope I'm wrong about what's coming.

That's the kind of personal attack I was referring to earlier.

saying you're brainwashed by john peterson is not a personal attack. it's an observation. going into all this apology nonsense is a distraction from my main point, which i will repeat further down.

i won't argue that we are seeing some crazy posts by a few tesla longs. this kind of thing always happens when a stock is going higher & especially in the midst of the market making all time highs. and yes, it is a contrarian indicator, it is a source of concern, and i strongly encourage you to get out of tesla if it bothers you enough.

in the meantime anything that can improve things should not be discarded. Especially if it has the potential to make money in the same time.

discarding technology and discarding an investment idea are two different things. as i said before, the stop-start technology is viable, but my opinion is any sensible person would discard it as an investment idea - and especially via either exide or axion. and yes, discarding an investment idea which has no potential to make money and is being promoted by an intellectual fraud is not "blinded tesla faith." it's common sense.

Exide has nothing special. Axion has. And as long as they have a special product that fits perfectly to some niches, they will be able to command higher prices / margins.

so now to the main point (and the title of this thread) which i will hammer on again, you and mr peterson are using nonsense arguments to try to convince us that start-stop has any investment value.

before you successfully diverted this thread to a soap opera, i had said start stop is a viable technology but it's a commodity product with low or zero margins. the two investment ideas that are being promoted by yourself and john peterson are exide and axion.

so you're leaving yourself out of the exide fiasco, and as i said before we've already seen no one step to the plate to give them any money. the stock has been underperforming for years, is burdened with a lot of debt, and is struggling to raise capital. so the market is speaking loudly, saying that there's no point in throwing capital at exide.

axion is even worse. it's a bulletin board stock first off. some may not be familiar with the bulletin board stocks (or the pink sheets), but these are the stocks of "boiler room" fame and they live in an exchange that may as well be "h.e.l.l." instead of "o.t.c.b.b.". as a class of equities no one would argue that these stocks are filled to the gills with fraudsters, hypesters, and criminals. any self-respecting company that has legitimacy works very hard to bring their accounting standards and capital up to the point of being able to list on a real exchange. historically a very small percentage of bulletin board stocks ever amount to anything. so if we refer to axion as a "garbage penny stock", it's not a judgement, it would simply be a factual description of its existence on the pink sheets.

the performance of axion's stock is as horrible as most pink sheets. here's a chart. now as you look at the chart, remember that the last 4 years have been a crazy bull market. stocks like amazon trade for hundreds of dollars a share with little in the way of earnings. so what kind of garbage company would be breaking to new lows as in the midst of a multi-year bull market? how crappy are the companies that have lost 70% of their value since the bull market started in march 2009? we already know the answer nicu. it's you and john who should sit back over a beer & a smoke to figure that out.

axpw.png

maybe the only thing worse than axion's stock performance is its actual business performance. with $2 million of cash, it has less investment capital than probably a handful of us message board posters could scrap together. more than anything else, that speaks volumes about the company's true worth. but how about their typical earnings statement. here's a fabulous quote: "For the 2012, revenue was $9.8 million with a net loss of $8.6 million or $0.08 loss per share, compared to revenue of $8.1 million with a net loss of $8.3 million or $0.10 loss per share for 2011."

so with $2 million in the bank, there's a bulletin board company losing money hand over fist. and now you and john peterson are coming out to tell me this company is a game-changer of some kind.

excuse me while rotflmao.

the same story was going around a few years ago, when this technology was tested by bmw and i'd guess a few others. guess how many of those auto manufacturers have signed on for follow-on orders. hint, the number equals john peterson's credibility on this board. maybe if you guys were out parading johnson controls in front of us there would be some intellectual credibility to this discussion. i've never heard that stock mentioned from you and i am proud to say i didn't waste enough time reading peterson's garbage to remember if he mentioned it. there's no point in promoting johnson controls anyway, is there? it's too big of a company to be moved by the promotional activities of penny stock pumpers.

it's very clever how you divert any revelations of the nonsense promotions to be (a) personal attacks, (b) tesla-worshipping, or (c) closed-mindedness. the realities of exide and axion are pretty clear, they should both look like a waste of investment capital to any reasonable person. are you genuinely convinced by john peterson's nonsense about axion, or are you another penny stock promoter trying to pimp out the axion whore?

and you're long tesla too, or so you say. after reviewing your promotion of nonsense ideas, i wonder who cares if you are long or short tesla. you're out talking about all the people who are overly bullish about tesla, mortgaging their house to buy tesla, buying calls etc. well i'm sitting here thinking about what if we've got a penny stock promoter long a large cap stock? would that be a contrarian indicator?

axion is even worse. it's a bulletin board stock first off. some may not be familiar with the bulletin board stocks (or the pink sheets), but these are the stocks of "boiler room" fame and they live in an exchange that may as well be "h.e.l.l." instead of "o.t.c.b.b.".

AXPW is listed on the OTCQB. I think that's the middle OTC tier.

the realities of exide and axion are pretty clear

Some won't want to click on this, but back in Dec 2011, Petersen wrote an article that concluded with this prediction::

I'm more convinced than ever that the market prices for Exide and Tesla will cross each other at some point in the next twelve months.

A month earlier, Petersen had written an article "Exide's Recent Price Collapse Was Unjustified (OK to click, that's is not an SA link):

In my view, the reaction was unjustified and has set up a tremendous buying opportunity for investors who are willing to look beyond the headlines and focus on core business fundamentals.

As we know, that was NOT a buying opportunity as Exide went from bad to worse.

What's scary for Axion investors is that Petersen used the exact same excuse for Exide's stock price collapse as he has for Axion's collapse:

To a casual observer the chart looks absolutely chaotic, but most of the blame for bizarre price swings can be attributed to factors that have nothing to do with Exide's business. ... The bottom line reality is that no market can hold up under sustained selling pressure from large stockholders and it doesn't matter whether the sustained selling pressure occurs in an industry leader like Exide or a newcomer like Axion Power International (AXPW.OB).

As it turns out, the large shareholders of both Exide and Axion headed for the exits - and then the stocks declined further. As much as they lost, it would have been worse for them if they had held on.

I could see throwing a little money at this and trying to time it when it doubles to 40 cents but as a serious investment where you put down a good chuck of cash? Might have better odds in Vegas.

Last edited:
I could see throwing a little money at this and trying to time it when it doubles to 40 cents but as a serious investment where you put down a good chuck on cash? Might have better odds in Vegas.

That's called "catching a falling knife", sometimes you can make a bit off the "dead cat bounce", sometimes....., well I'm sure you know the rest of the story.

Axion's raised some money: http://www.dailymarkets.com/stock/2013/05/08/axion-power-completes-private-placement-for-9-million-in-senior-convertible-notes-with-warrants-and-1-million-in-subordinated-unsecured-notes-with-warrants/ The 8K is here: http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1028153/000114420413026938/v344104_8k.htm

Conversion to stock price of only $0.264, which is about market price today. Only a 9 month amortization (but 8% interest), which probably means the company wanted to sell equity but couldn't for some reason I don't understand. This gets the loan turned into stock within a year.

Insiders put in $1million (10% of the total amount), so they still believe the company won't fold soon. They're also paying themselves 8% interest for the loan.

Edit: Here's JP's take (clicking will NOT give him money, this is a comment in someone else's SA blog post, not an article of his):

..there are a couple provisions that are harsher than I'd like.

The entire $10 million will show up on Axion's balance sheet, but $6 million will be in the form of restricted cash that will be released at the rate of $500,000 a month starting 60 days after the registration statement for the underlying common goes effective.

The hook that concerns me is that Axion must make a preliminary payment in common stock 20 trading days before the final price calculation date, so there is some potential for aggressive investor behavior, but less than I've seen in other deals. I've seen nothing in the documents that give the investors a block of cheap or free stock on the front end, and that's a good thing.

The bottom line seems to be that as long as the stock price reaches and holds a level of $.31 or more, the financing should not present major issues with aggressive investors. At sustained prices below $.31, we may see some unpleasantness.

Last edited:
$0.193 at the moment. Market cap 21.8 million dollars. Not looking too hot this one. Is this an all-time low? Wish I had shorted this stock in 2011 - I wanted to but have no experience with shorting and at that time no brokerage account where I could have done it.

I think it hit .19 earlier today. I'm torn, I do have a couple dollars invested in it just for fun, so the price drop is a small bummer, but at the same time I can't help but smile as JP and minions flounder around trying to justify holding.