Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, sorry. I drove a RWD, and did a full accelerator press from a stop. There is a bit of a lag. It is not instantaneous torque. But, it does kick in pretty quickly. Just not a jump from the start. Like turbo lag. I am also waiting for an AWD and hope it performs better from a stop.
Are you used to driving a Model S? I test drove the 3 and I’m not sure “lag” is the best way to describe it. There was plenty of instantaneous torque from zero, but there was also a noticeable power ramp-up through ~20 mph. Compared to every other car I’ve ever owned (all ICE) there was no lag whatsoever.

Are you used to driving a Model S? I test drove the 3 and I’m not sure “lag” is the best way to describe it. There was plenty of instantaneous torque from zero, but there was also a noticeable power ramp-up through ~20 mph. Compared to every other car I’ve ever owned (all ICE) there was no lag whatsoever.

Exactly. I rented a Model 3 RWD a few months ago. I drove my 2017 330i over to the pick up, and got back into it once I returned the Model 3. I can tell you unequivocally that anyone who drove my 330i and then got into the Model 3, or drove the 330i immediately after driving the Model 3 would most definitely know that the Model 3 does not suffer from anything you could come close to describing as lag.

Exactly. I rented a Model 3 RWD a few months ago. I drove my 2017 330i over to the pick up, and got back into it once I returned the Model 3. I can tell you unequivocally that anyone who drove my 330i and then got into the Model 3, or drove the 330i immediately after driving the Model 3 would most definitely know that the Model 3 does not suffer from anything you could come close to describing as lag.
I'm just sharing my experience. I drive a 2011 BMW 335d (insane torque). I have driven a friends S90 (but didn't floor it off the line. That's my baseline experience.
All I can say is, from my perspective and experience with an n of 1, when I drove the RWD M3, while everything was amazing and I loved it, I noticed a bit of "lag" off the line. Maybe I am not describing it to you correctly, but that was my independent observation. I only responded to this thread because when I read it I remembered thinking exactly that when I drove the car: "It's amazing, but seems to lag a bit off the line". I guess I was expecting the golf cart like instant low speed torque jump. Isn't there. My experience.

Reactions: webdbbt
I'm just sharing my experience. I drive a 2011 BMW 335d (insane torque). I have driven a friends S90 (but didn't floor it off the line. That's my baseline experience.
All I can say is, from my perspective and experience with an n of 1, when I drove the RWD M3, while everything was amazing and I loved it, I noticed a bit of "lag" off the line. Maybe I am not describing it to you correctly, but that was my independent observation. I only responded to this thread because when I read it I remembered thinking exactly that when I drove the car: "It's amazing, but seems to lag a bit off the line". I guess I was expecting the golf cart like instant low speed torque jump. Isn't there. My experience.
Yes I agree with you from my drive as well. That experience definitely cemented my decision to order AWD.

ak
I wouldn't call it lag. It rolls the power on from a stop rather than dumping it all at once. This will make rear tires last much longer.

Reserved on 3/31/16
Ordered on 6/1/18

New Jersey

Red
AWD
Aero
EAP

Just got the email from a sales agent yesterday asking me to confirm some information. I told them that I'm switching from cash to a loan. I also requested my VIN number so I could shop for insurance which she provided! 54xxx

Going to be a busy weekend getting my *sugar* in order now lol. No delivery ETA yet since it's dependant on when I can get her back my information for the final sales agreement. But I imagine it'll be mid August.

After switching to RWD, I'm hearing more and more about this RWD lag from more recent updates...I scheduled a test drive so I'm going to try to find out more about this as soon as I can.
I remember thinking the same when I drove one, and having the impression it was a deliberate mapping chioce. I think is either a “safety feature” to limit damages in case of wrong pedal application, or a temporary conservative approach while learning how the first thousands packs hold on in real world. If is the latter, I would expect a firmware update at some point to uncork the whole fleet (a bit like they did with S and X)

Reactions: webdbbt
Just received a VIN via email. Posting all the data again so it's together.

Non-Owner
Res: 04/01/16
Config: 06/28/18
Pearl White AWD Non-P, Aero Wheels, EAP
Delivery Location: Costa Mesa, CA
VIN: 540XX

I believe this is the first non-03/31 AWD non-P confirmed on here, I'll check in other threads as well.

This is significantly sooner than I expected. I'm even a little apprehensive about an "early" AWD VIN.

Non-Owner

I believe this is the first non-03/31 AWD non-P confirmed on here, I'll check in other threads as well.

This is significantly sooner than I expected. I'm even a little apprehensive about an "early" AWD VIN.

That’s interesting. Your reserved a day later than I and placed your order a day later than I. I’ll take this as good news and that I should start getting my finances in order. :)

Non-Owner

So just an email? No call or anything? Congrats!