Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AutoSock 698 Trial Fit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After the Trak 4x4 chains went out of stock at the Tesla Store, I purchased a set of AutoSock traction devices, part number 698, for my MX with 20" Continental rear tires. I got mine from Amazon.
The attached photos show the practice installation. I have not been in snow deep enough yet where I needed these (the M+S Continentals perform quite well by themselves) so I don't have any actual use data to share. What I can say is that these go on the tires easier than any set of chains, including split chains, that I've ever used.
In the photos you see:

1. The plastic carrying case with the AutoSocks and instructions printed on the outside.
2. Starting at the top of the tire, the sock wraps around the tire like a fitted sheet. You try to wrap as much of the tire as possible. NOTE: It is much, much easier to first raise the suspension to Very High.
3. Move the car forward or backward one quarter of a tire rotation.
4. Wrap the remaining tire.
5. Driving even a short distance will auto-center the sock.

Like all chains, the manufacturer states the speed is limited to 30 MPH. They also caution that use on dry roads will accelerate the fabric wear.

But, I have these for emergency use. They take up relatively little space in the trunk or frunk, They have very positive reviews for their increased traction. They cost 1/5 of the price of approved chains. And, like I said above, I found them very easy to install.

I'll update this thread when I get a chance to use them in snow.

Sock Pkg.jpg Sock1.jpg Sock2.jpg Sock3.jpg

Thanks for the post, buying these seem to be much more economically feasible for someone like me who would never use the $500 Tesla chains in SoCal for the rare once a year ski trip.

Did any one of you contact Tesla about these? I am curious to see what they think of them.

I am concerned about suspension damage, perhaps @ohmman can shed some light on this as he unfortunately dealt with it on his S.

Thanks for the post, buying these seem to be much more economically feasible for someone like me who would never use the $500 Tesla chains in SoCal for the rare once a year ski trip.

Did any one of you contact Tesla about these? I am curious to see what they think of them.

I am concerned about suspension damage, perhaps @ohmman can shed some light on this as he unfortunately dealt with it on his S.
I did not but these clearly protrude less than the chains by quite a bit. On the rear tires there was ample gap with the suspension at all height settings.

Reactions: K-MTG
I just asked on their live chat, the rep said I shouldn't have an issue but I am not sure if I can deem this as an official statement or trust the reps knowledge. What are your thoughts?
Final decision, of course, is your call, but I am very comfortable with using these especially after my trial run.
And, when not being used on the tires, the size and mesh design make them perfect sunshades for the rear windows! ☺

• Funny
These look safer than what I used on my S, which were these Z-chains. The problems I had were twofold. First, the profile of my rims protrude beyond the sidewall of the tire, so the tensioners are in constant contact with the finish. That means that even after a limited amount of 25 mph max speed driving, I rubbed the finish off of two of my aftermarket wheels. The second problem was with the way they wrapped around the inside of the wheel. At some non-zero speed, they flare out and rub against the interior suspension, causing damage. Both sides required the following, for a total of over $400 a side in parts and $1000 in labor:

RR SUSP LCA ASSY (1021416-00-A)
RR SUSP INTEGRAL LINK ASSY - Performance + (1021422-00-A)
BOLT HF M12x1.75x70 [10.9]-U-G720 (2007078)
NUT, M12x1.75MM (2007076)

In the end, $1859 to Tesla, and two defaced wheels taught me to avoid chains or use the specified ones.

These look safer than what I used on my S, which were these Z-chains. The problems I had were twofold. First, the profile of my rims protrude beyond the sidewall of the tire, so the tensioners are in constant contact with the finish. That means that even after a limited amount of 25 mph max speed driving, I rubbed the finish off of two of my aftermarket wheels. The second problem was with the way they wrapped around the inside of the wheel. At some non-zero speed, they flare out and rub against the interior suspension, causing damage. Both sides required the following, for a total of over $400 a side in parts and $1000 in labor:

RR SUSP LCA ASSY (1021416-00-A)
RR SUSP INTEGRAL LINK ASSY - Performance + (1021422-00-A)
BOLT HF M12x1.75x70 [10.9]-U-G720 (2007078)
NUT, M12x1.75MM (2007076)

In the end, $1859 to Tesla, and two defaced wheels taught me to avoid chains or use the specified ones.

Does the S have air suspension?

Is it safer to keep the X on high when riding on chains or this sock?
I imagine so. I'd keep them off of the front wheels regardless, as there's a suspension arm that is dangerously close to the tire. You can see it directly above the tire in the wheel well. But if you're in conditions that require chains, you should be on high suspension regardless.