Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Autopilot Update to Bring Traffic Light, Sign Detection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla vehicles using Autopilot will be able to detect traffic lights and stop signs within the next few weeks, Chief Executive Elon Musk said in a tweet.

Tesla previously released a “Stop Light Warning” that alerts drivers if the car’s sensors believe there’s a chance of driving through a stop. The new update would enable the car to detect a red light or stop sign and come to a stop on its own.

Tesla will be collecting data and evaluating the feature with Early Access members over the coming weeks to make sure the feature is safe for a wide rollout.

A demo of the feature in action was shared to Twitter.

While the feature will first be available to owners in the U.S., Musk said a worldwide release could come in Q3.

Photo: Twitter/Out_of_Spec

Last edited by a moderator:
I appreciate the "decelerate to a full stop" feature they came out with a few months ago. However, I'm often unsure about where it's going to stop. I would like some feedback in three situations: a stop sign or stoplight, or a car stopped in the road. If my car gave me some assurance it recognizes each of these, then I'd be free to let up on the accelerator a bit earlier, so it could coast to an even more gentle stop. (At a traffic light, or in stop-and-go traffic on the freeway, there's no rush). Then, as with cruise control, I'd have one less thing to monitor while driving.