Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot saves the day

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We're going to have to agree to disagree.

It's the same principle. When the traffic engineers added a lane that ends, they didn't do it to cause more traffic, they did it to alleviate traffic so that people would use it.

I don't care what they think. I'm using the lane the way it was intended, your argument was that I'm causing more traffic, which I'm not based on the link I gave you. You still didn't give me any proof besides "I said so" that I'm causing more traffic.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's the situation I'm taking about, same concept. Click his links. Which are more scientific than a redditors opinion.

If you have any article for me to read as to why I'm wrong, I'll gladly do it. But I'm not going around waving my hands and saying "because I said so"

https://m.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/16tvks/would_traffic_move_better_when_a_lane_ends_if/

The answer is right there in the first link of the reddit post you quoted.

ZIPPER MERGE: Curing merging-lane traffic jams

When you zip up to the front of an already merged line of traffic and cut in, you cause the car behind you to hit their brakes. This speed differential on merge propagates all the way back through the line in a ripple, slowing the flow of traffic down even more. If everyone started doing as you do, it will only make things worse.

The ideal is to merge earlier, when there is no speed differential between the cars that are merging together. You simply can't do this at the very last moment, as the flow diagram at trafficwaves clearly shows.

You are espousing the left model. You should think in terms of the model on the right.

The answer is right there in the first link of the reddit post you quoted.

ZIPPER MERGE: Curing merging-lane traffic jams

When you zip up to the front of an already merged line of traffic and cut in, you cause the car behind you to hit their brakes. This speed differential on merge propagates all the way back through the line in a ripple, slowing the flow of traffic down even more. If everyone started doing as you do, it will only make things worse.

The ideal is to merge earlier, when there is no speed differential between the cars that are merging together. You simply can't do this at the very last moment, as the flow diagram at trafficwaves clearly shows.

You are espousing the left model. You should think in terms of the model on the right.

Were you looking at the same article? lol

The correct way is to utilize all the lanes available, leave enough room for everyone to merge and merge at the end.

- - - Updated - - -

From your link (well my link):

The "zipper flow" is counterintuitive. It's created by proper late-merging at the last minute. It's destroyed by early merging.

I agree with the model on the right. TWO lanes. People leave a space. My original example, there is no one in the other lane but me. You said I'm causing traffic by using the lane, in the manner in which it's intended, I'm not. Look at the same link, it says not to punish late mergers.

The most important thing to keep in mind is people are essentially sheep.

We do whatever the person who is setting the example does. Of course there are times where people merge too early because someone decided to, and a bunch of other people followed. So suddenly we have unoptimal traffic flow because some idiot picked the wrong place to merge.

The most important thing is to correct the behavior so you have to be the one to start it. It's very likely other people will follow and the situation will correct.

Probably the most fascinating writing I've seen on the topic is from a book called "Traffic - Why we drive the way we do (and What it Says About Us).

Were you looking at the same article? lol

The correct way is to utilize all the lanes available, leave enough room for everyone to merge and merge at the end.

- - - Updated - - -

From your link (well my link):

I agree with the model on the right. TWO lanes. People leave a space. My original example, there is no one in the other lane but me. You said I'm causing traffic by using the lane, in the manner in which it's intended

What is the difference in speed between you and the car you are merging with? Can you execute the merge without either you or them applying brakes? If so, great! You're not contributing to the backup. If not, then bad on you. That's directly contributing to the backup.

In the case where everyone else has already merged and you zip up to the front, can you really merge without either you or the person you cut in front of applying their brakes? Really? Honestly?

@EarlyAdopter I'm done arguing with you on this topic. You obviously came here with a closed mind. You didn't even skim my link. You can continue doing it your way, I'll do it my way, we'll both think we're right, everyone walks away happy. Safe speedy mergers!

I appreciate how this can be confusing. See my post just above, it answers your question.
I consider AEB distinct from AP, all cars built since late Sep 2014 have AEB as standard. AP is an option you have to pay for.

Is there a safe way to test/demo the AEB system?

My friend offered to drive my MS at 50mph while I stepped out in front of it.... I declined. :)

I wonder if there is a low/no-risk way to demo this feature?

Inflatable car that has reflective metal so the radar sees it and shape of a car so that the camera thinks it is a real car, they cost about $40K. Might be able to make one cheaper out of foam and tin foil?

https://video.search.yahoo.com/vide...mozilla-002&hsimp=yhs-002&hspart=mozilla&tt=b

I agree. The road is designed to utilize all lanes, the special people hog the lanes that don't end, creating unnecessary traffic backups.
Exactly!
That's actually not how it works. By cutting in at the last moment you are actually contributing far more to the backup than if you had merged in earlier with everyone else.
I would suggest you read the book referenced by S4WRXTTCS. It's an excellent book.
The most important thing to keep in mind is people are essentially sheep.

We do whatever the person who is setting the example does. Of course there are times where people merge too early because someone decided to, and a bunch of other people followed. So suddenly we have unoptimal traffic flow because some idiot picked the wrong place to merge.

The most important thing is to correct the behavior so you have to be the one to start it. It's very likely other people will follow and the situation will correct.

Probably the most fascinating writing I've seen on the topic is from a book called "Traffic - Why we drive the way we do (and What it Says About Us).
I'm glad you referenced this book. I was going to post about it as I was reading the conversation & I'm glad to see that someone else did already.