Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot: Dip/Hill handling idle speculation on newest update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Need to take this road a few more times to be sure but my observation (and I think I saw another post mentioning this) is that the hill handling behavior has improved.

Previously autopilot would struggle with sharp decline followed by sharp incline. Seemingly it would perceive the hills as curves. Handling appears to stay much more centered. Anyone else notice this?

Yes, numerous trips through the same dip indicate no improvement. A confounding factor was that I had a version update during testing. The odds are relatively high that what I was observing was the use of the car in front of me as a factor in lane keeping.

FWIW, my car was in for maintenance and my loaner was a vanilla 85. Wow, life without autopilot is pretty awful. I am totally dependent.

Yes, numerous trips through the same dip indicate no improvement. A confounding factor was that I had a version update during testing. The odds are relatively high that what I was observing was the use of the car in front of me as a factor in lane keeping.

FWIW, my car was in for maintenance and my loaner was a vanilla 85. Wow, life without autopilot is pretty awful. I am totally dependent.
Yes, I have found that lane keeping through crests/dips is significantly better when following another car.