Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot Asking for Input Every 11 Seconds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is so annoying. It doesn’t happen every drive but I’d say 3 out of five drives. I’ve been timing it so that’s how I got the figure of 11 seconds. When this happens, I don’t even bother using the system. Anyone know what’s going on? Interior camera is disabled and always has been.

I have owned a Tesla Model S since new in 2017. The numbers of sheer articles written about FSD-beta and Enhanced Auto-pilot crash is stupid and could've been prevented. Why? It's due to people not being attentive to the usability of what this tech is.

I think forcing folks to at least be in control by responding to this "annoyance" is key to having the media stop writing negative articles about Tesla autopilot system. Folks are still not attentive to the road, that is the key issue why crashes happens while on FSD or Enhance Auto-pilot. It's not at the level of autonomy, the drivers still need to be aware.

Reactions: zoomer0056
This is so annoying. It doesn’t happen every drive but I’d say 3 out of five drives. I’ve been timing it so that’s how I got the figure of 11 seconds. When this happens, I don’t even bother using the system. Anyone know what’s going on? Interior camera is disabled and always has been.
With so little to go on its difficult to respond in a meaningful way.
You say the interior camera is disabled and always has been, but the newer releases now use the camera instead of wheel input, so disabling the camera will increase the need for wheel input not decrease it.
Remember there is a great deal of pressure on Tesla to stop using wheel inputs as indications of driver attentiveness so this trend will continue.

Keep one hand on the wheel. The way the detection works is sensing a resistance to the torque the system applies. So just hanging a hand on it will provide that resistance. People many times think it is touch or motion based, but it's not. Once you get feel for it, you will rarely get a nag. I use two hand, but sometimes it is a negative because my two hands sometimes balance each other which cancels out the resistance. Having an even pressure or just one hand seems to work better.

Also, as others pointed out Tesla is relying more and more on the camera as people have been calling for that for a long time. It's really the only viable way other than steering nags.

As for Tesla eliminating nags, that's unlikely to happen. If anything there may be more. Tesla is still under investigation by NHTSA, there are politicians still trying to get at Tesla, and there are people/organizations running FUD campaigns to try to get Tesla's systems banned.

Reactions: RTPEV and Thp3
It’s not a hands free system
What's wrong with having my hands in my lap? Autopilot kinda means keep jiggling the steering wheel and hoping you find that fine line between keeping the nanny happy and not accidently disengaging it. Which, is worse to me. Sometimes I think I jiggled the right amount only to find the system turned off and I'm drifting into oncoming traffic or the side of the road.

Keep one hand on the wheel. The way the detection works is sensing a resistance to the torque the system applies. So just hanging a hand on it will provide that resistance. People many times think it is touch or motion based, but it's not. Once you get feel for it, you will rarely get a nag. I use two hand, but sometimes it is a negative because my two hands sometimes balance each other which cancels out the resistance. Having an even pressure or just one hand seems to work better.

Also, as others pointed out Tesla is relying more and more on the camera as people have been calling for that for a long time. It's really the only viable way other than steering nags.

As for Tesla eliminating nags, that's unlikely to happen. If anything there may be more. Tesla is still under investigation by NHTSA, there are politicians still trying to get at Tesla, and there are people/organizations running FUD campaigns to try to get Tesla's systems banned.
I've tried the one hand resting on the bottom of the steering wheel. Doesn't seem to help unless I consciously induce movement. I'll have to try this again and time the nags. I don't expect Tesla to change its behaviour but I bet in 30 years people will be sitting in a comfortable, couch-like environment nowhere near the manual control. They'll be like "You had to jiggle the wheel?" "How quaint". Lol

What's wrong with having my hands in my lap? Autopilot kinda means keep jiggling the steering wheel and hoping you find that fine line between keeping the nanny happy and not accidently disengaging it. Which, is worse to me. Sometimes I think I jiggled the right amount only to find the system turned off and I'm drifting into oncoming traffic or the side of the road.
What’s wrong? It’s less safe because your reaction time is reduced when you have to spend time reaching to the wheel.

You'll get used to it. Nobody expects someone who doesn't know how to swim, to become a swimmer without getting a feel for their rhythm.

There's always an audible alert as well. Autopilot is not autopilot, that needs to be established. It's a marketing gimmick to get people to buy the car by creating ambigiuity. Not really autopilot.

Canada so I don't know what I don't know here...but...

Interior camera is disabled? Physically blocked maybe? You must not have FSD or probably even EAP. I don't think with current firmware versions those systems will even operate if the interior camera is physically blocked.

Hand at bottom of steering wheel isn't the fix...everyone is different but I rest my arm on my leg and I have my hand at like 4-5 o'clock inducing slight downward pressure. Jiggling the wheel sometimes will knock you out of Lane Keeping mode, yes.

Jiggling the wheel sometimes will knock you out of Lane Keeping mode, yes.
Really? I've never done that. I've been wondering if the break pressure on the wheel was something that could vary from car to car. I saw a video of a guy with a yoke steering wheel in a Model S break out of Autosteer by pressing comfortably down with one finger. I doubt I could do that. When I break out of Autosteer intentionally, I tend to produce an immediate overcorrection because of the amount of pressure I have to apply.

You need to apply slight left-turning or right-turning torque. Resting your hand on the bottom of the wheel isn't effective because the wheel doesn't sense centralized weight, it senses turning force i.e. torque.

Jiggling back and forth isn't necessary, just relatively constant torque in either direction.

If you don't like doing that constantly or fairly often, yes you can use the scroll wheel or half tap the stalk fairly often.

If you don't like doing any of that too often, then uncover the camera and it will greatly increase the time interval between steering wheel mags.

If you don't like any of the above, then I guess you'll need to stop using it or wait until Tesla makes it fully autonomous. But first try the steady torque method, most people get used to it as others have said.

Reactions: VanFriscia
With so little to go on its difficult to respond in a meaningful way.
You say the interior camera is disabled and always has been, but the newer releases now use the camera instead of wheel input, so disabling the camera will increase the need for wheel input not decrease it.
Remember there is a great deal of pressure on Tesla to stop using wheel inputs as indications of driver attentiveness so this trend will continue.
I’ll try re-enabling the camera. Good advice.

Which car, which build, and which version of AP (basic, EAP, FSD, FSD Beta)?
IMG_8205.jpeg