Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autocross Tire Pressures?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@ Pantera Dude,

Sounds like you were at the El Toro air strip, did you have a place to plug in there? I would do AutoX there but its to far from home to do round trip and a bunch of runs.

Yes, it was El Toro. I didn't see any place to charge but I wasn't looking. I wish it was closer for me and I live in Long Beach. I did it two days in a row with two consecutive range charges. On Monday morning my standard charge was down to 169 from 175! OUCH! It has since returned to about 174/175, but it is still enough that I'm not sure I want to do it all the time? The charging options that I see would be to head out early and get to Fashion Island in time to charge before the event. That early in the morning you "should" be able to get one of Tesla's chargers? (One of the chargers is set up for the roadster the other is for the S). I'm going to contact the Costa Mesa shop and see if they have charger access 24/7. The shop is just off the 405 freeway and on my way. I assume there are public chargers at South Coast Plaza which is also right at the 405 freeway. You could also charge at my house if you like, either in the morning or on the way home. I can charge at 30 amps but if you have a UMC you could charge at 40 amps.

@ Pantera Dude,

Sounds like you were at the El Toro air strip, did you have a place to plug in there? I would do AutoX there but its to far from home to do round trip and a bunch of runs.

Great news! I just got off the phone with Lisa at the Costa Mesa shop and she told me that they do have two chargers available before and after business hours to charge our cars. (They are very busy so they need the chargers for repair customer cars). One charger is for the Roadster and the other is for the Model S. That should work great for me as it will allow me to do a standard charge instead of the range charge for the autocross days! Yahoo! That really makes it much more desirable for me. If there are two roadsters there, what kind of adapter would be necessary to use the Model S charger?

Frequencydip, Come On Down! :biggrin:

...That should work great for me as it will allow me to do a standard charge instead of the range charge for the autocross days! Yahoo! That really makes it much more desirable for me...

Pantera Dude, never charge beyond standard charge if you want to retain regen braking. That was my first mistake. Next switch to the Carbotech AX6 pads. If you have sway bars, run the front full soft and the rear full stiff. Do all your braking before the turn. Use the cars acceleration as your strength. again break early and accelerate out. The non street Hoosier P205/45ZR16 in front and the P225/45ZR17 rear is compatible with regen braking after doing a recalibration (tire size on your menu).

+1 on everything Roger said. The Roadster isn't anything like a Miata or S2000. It is radically different, but it's just as fast once you adapt your driving style to it. I know because I spent half of this autocross season driving an S2000. It was quite a transition switching back again.

I will add that you want to be lifting the brake pedal just as you're turning the wheel - the Roadster needs weight on the front tires to turn in properly. Don't let the weight lift before you start to turn. It makes a huge difference!

Roger is very correct about using the acceleration as its strength. That, and its brakes. Don't be afraid to treat the distance between every pair of cones as a tiny little straight, with pedal-to-the-floor acceleration followed ABS-level braking. It seems almost crazy but that's what the Roadster needs to be fast. And as a bonus any passenger will get one hell of a ride!