Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Wipers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We can manually use them in set speeds or on an intermittent setting, why is that so difficult?!
I meant, if Tesla got rid of the auto wiper function and gave us intermittent settings as well as manual set speeds. This would be much better. And while in FSD it wanted the wiper on it could give a notification and if we kept ignoring it, then it could turn FSD off. This would solve everything.

FFS Tesla how hard is this? Every other car manufacturer has figured it out.
Every other car manufacturer has a dedicated sensor made just for detecting rain, while Tesla wanted to save $2 and do it, using the camera.

I bet it's hard for Tesla to get this working (As evident by their lack of actually doing it), but that's only because they cheaped out and did not include the dedicated sensor.

Reactions: Kupe and karlos22
Every other car manufacturer has a dedicated sensor made just for detecting rain, while Tesla wanted to save $2 and do it, using the camera.

I bet it's hard for Tesla to get this working (As evident by their lack of actually doing it), but that's only because they cheaped out and did not include the dedicated sensor.
This is a continuing theme with Tesla to remove working technology in favor of future technology that doesn't yet work at the expense of the owners user experience. It's super frustrating and one of the largest reasons for most of Tesla's customer complaints.

If they would simply perfect a new technology (or even make it reasonably functional) before removing the working "outdated" technology they would save themselves a lot of headache.

If they would simply perfect a new technology (or even make it reasonably functional) before removing the working "outdated" technology they would save themselves a lot of headache.
But, they can't do that because their research and development team is you and me. Instead of testing something in house before installing it, they install it and then let us test it for weeks, months, years.

Reactions: Exscite

And this is exactly why Tesla needs to stop implementing hardware changes prior to getting the software to work right. Figure out the software, then change the hardware. By not doing this they are frustrating a lot of long time Tesla owners and making new EV/Tesla owners not want to buy a Tesla again.

I like my Tesla but the erratic auto wiper is aggravating. A car that can drive me from A to Z without intervention but it can not distinguish between raining or sun and sporadic start wiping is very annoying. I tried everything here, including the following, clean the cameras on the windshield, clean the windshield and etc. Is there any check that I can do in the "Service" that tells me if there is any wiring errors? Did anyone resolve their issues by doing something that I do not know yet? Any help will be very much appreciated.

This is a common issue and the functionality changes periodically between releases.

If it is dry wiping that is because it things that it see something. Someone recently found that they have a small rock chip in camera view and that may have been causing the issue.

When wipers turn on and their speed is highly subjective. It may indeed be that you want them on before the car does.
If that is the case, many people find that a single press on the wiper stalk does a wipe and things seem to be happier after that.

For me, they pretty much do exactly as I would. But compared to my wife, I turn wipers on a lot later than she does.

Dear all, Indeed the auto wiper function was a bit out of sync with the rain. Always a bit too late. Since the ne release 2024.8.9 I mist say the issues seems solved as they wipers now really are acting according to the needs. Really great improvement. This was the only thing annoying me a bit for the moment. Br.

Hi everyone. First post. I've had my model Y for about a week or so. I've found that every time I put my car in what I would call standard cruise control it will put the wiper controls in auto, then turn on the wipers for no reason. Very irritating. Is there some way to keep the car from doing that? I want it to leave the controls in auto.

Hi everyone. First post. I've had my model Y for about a week or so. I've found that every time I put my car in what I would call standard cruise control it will put the wiper controls in auto, then turn on the wipers for no reason. Very irritating. Is there some way to keep the car from doing that? I want it to leave the controls in auto.
Sheesh! I meant to say "leave the controls in OFF"

Dear all, Indeed the auto wiper function was a bit out of sync with the rain. Always a bit too late. Since the ne release 2024.8.9 I mist say the issues seems solved as they wipers now really are acting according to the needs. Really great improvement. This was the only thing annoying me a bit for the moment. Br.
Not my experience: dry wipes still occur with 2024.8.9 :(

I like my Tesla but the erratic auto wiper is aggravating. A car that can drive me from A to Z without intervention but it can not distinguish between raining or sun and sporadic start wiping is very annoying. I tried everything here, including the following, clean the cameras on the windshield, clean the windshield and etc. Is there any check that I can do in the "Service" that tells me if there is any wiring errors? Did anyone resolve their issues by doing something that I do not know yet? Any help will be very much appreciated.
There is nothing you can do. You're not doing anything wrong. They simply don't work well via the camera.

Alonzo is absolutely right. Turn your wipers “off”, then put the car in standard cruise control and watch it magically change itself to “auto”! Sheesh! Come on Tesla! What’s wrong with you guys! There, I feel better. I’m becoming very familiar with the audible “turn off wipers” command. I use it each time I put it in cruise. 😂

The autowipers worked better (fewer dry wipes etc) on my 2023 HW3 car than they do on my 2024 HW4 one. I think it's mostly something to do with the portion of the windshield the cameras look out and how easily that fogs up (or doesn't defog). I used to leave the wipers on Auto in the old car without issue; this one I have to set them to Off when it's not raining.