Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Pilot unexpectedly breaking?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
phantom braking is common; there are plenty of posts on it.

Typically, the car sees a shadow on the road and hits the brakes.

Some threads for OP to look through, when I search TMC for "phantom braking" in this forum:

Phantom Braking
2020 FSD - Phantom braking - navigate on AP.
Phantom Braking Measured
Trying to learn why I get Phantom Braking (video)

There are quite a few more, if OP wants to read experiences from others about it.

The VERY " TL ; DR" version (too long, didnt read) is:

Phantom braking in Teslas, both using autopilot and using Full self driving, is known about. It gets better (and sometimes gets worse) with updates. The hope is that when the FSD update is released that is in testing, it will get better. The only "solution" is to pay close attention while driving, which one should be doing anyway.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Phlier and hcdavis3
75mph in the #3 lane going by a large truck in the in the #4 lane going 60mph. Three times now the car has slowed dramatically when along side the truck with no cars in front of me. Luckily no one was close behind me. Ideas?
We had a few software versions where the car locked on the vehicles in the adjacent lane and refused to pass. Kind of surprised that bug is still present.

It's more important that we use pragmatism to try and understand each other on international forums.
It also would be great if people would spend the extra second proofreading their posts before hitting enter. I too have been bit by spellcheck and fat fingers, so understand that is the probable cause. I’m sympathetic (especially when it is clearly not English speaker - unlike this case), but have no issue with members who point out the error.

It's more important that we use pragmatism to try and understand each other on international forums.

Ostensibly, you're talking about ESL writers. Wouldn't they want to be corrected if they're spelling a basic word incorrectly and it doesn't appear to be a mechanical error (typo)? Isn't it pragmatic for those with a mastery of English to correct those who get it wrong? After all, this is a favor to the person being corrected, because correcting someone on the Internet is not without risk of irrational reprisal, correction-shaming, or straight up anti-intellectualism. Not everyone who's corrected is an ESL writer, which is also worth noting. Sometimes the ESL writers have far better spelling and grammar than some native English-users.

This doesn't mean everyone will take correction well, but that shouldn't stop best-practices for intellectual types who welcome a valid correction and want to learn from people who speak and write English natively (or very well, ESL or not). I speak/write English natively and I've learned a few mistakes I was making in the last 10 years. I've corrected those mistakes and will continue to do so. The journey is the same for anyone learning English, as it can be a tricky language with all kinds of irregularities, exceptions, odd slang, etc. Really, this continual learning applies to all of us speaking a given language.

The other issue is that spelling errors can and do affect the search functions, more so with thread titles I'd imagine. So, there's a pragmatic benefit to these corrections as well, not to mention keeping the site looking tidy. Some forums look a hot mess because there's no housecleaning done, and any standard of grammar/spelling remains as it was posted. This can have a detrimental effect on the curb appeal of a site as it reflects its community.

Last edited:
Back on topic......I believe what you’re experiencing is the adjacent lane speed functionality of autopilot. Starting in the 2019.40.2 build, autopilot brakes when traffic is moving significantly slower in adjacent lanes with the idea being that it gives the car more reaction time if someone decides to cut you off.

• Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin
Back on topic......I believe what you’re experiencing is the adjacent lane speed functionality of autopilot. Starting in the 2019.40.2 build, autopilot brakes when traffic is moving significantly slower in adjacent lanes with the idea being that it gives the car more reaction time if someone decides to cut you off.
exactly this ^^^^
also, understanding what your car is doing is really important. The manual that is built into both the car and your account will tell you.
The display will usually tell you what its doing - probably why they increased the size of the animation part.

Ostensibly, you're talking about ESL writers.
I'm talking about everyone, no matter what your native langauge is
Wouldn't they want to be corrected if they're spelling a basic word incorrectly and it doesn't appear to be a mechanical error (typo)?
For people with learning disabilities like dyslexia or ADHD this is often a form of bullying. Disregard that this is a forum for cars, publicly pointing out errors people make is something that should always be opt-in.
Isn't it pragmatic for those with a mastery of English to correct those who get it wrong?
I said pragmatics, not pragmatic. Pragmatics is a field of linguistics about how context contributes to meaning. Pragmatics is the reason why you understand that someone meant "braking" when they wrote "breaking", because this is a Tesla forum and not a fighting game forum
After all, this is a favor to the person being corrected
It absolutely isn't. Anyone with any knowledge of pedagogy could tell you that this is not a learning situation.
, because correcting someone on the Internet is not without risk of irrational reprisal, correction-shaming, or straight up anti-intellectualism.
Publicly pointing out someone's mistakes is shaming, and is irrational to think nitpicking on grammar has any benefit in an informal setting where it has no relevance to the topic for discussion. As for anti-intellectualism, check out Merriam Webster's definition of pragmatic.
Not everyone who's corrected is an ESL writer, which is also worth noting. Sometimes the ESL writers have far better spelling and grammar than some native English-users.
That's true. A lot of people have dyslexia, ADHD subject to poor schooling, are school dropouts, or any other relevant reason to not being particularly great with grammar. It doesn't matter who does it, grammar policing on public forums has no merit.
This doesn't mean everyone will take correction well, but that shouldn't stop best-practices for intellectual types who welcome a valid correction and want to learn from people who speak and write English natively (or very well, ESL or not).
If something can hurt people you should usually refrain from doing it, particularly in public. Grammar is about memorization, the lowest level of Bloom's taxonomy, which is not a pointer for intelligence.
I speak/write English natively and I've learned a few mistakes I was making in the last 10 years. I've corrected those mistakes and will continue to do so. The journey is the same for anyone learning English, as it can be a tricky language with all kinds of irregularities, exceptions, odd slang, etc. Really, this continual learning applies to all of us speaking a given language.
Your preferences for language mastery are YOUR preferences, it's not something you can will on others
The other issue is that spelling errors can and do affect the search functions, more so with thread titles I'd imagine. So, there's a pragmatic benefit to these corrections as well, not to mention keeping the site looking tidy.
Search engines compensate for grammar mistakes. Also, technology is here to help us, we are not here to make it easier for technology. It would be even more pragmatic to say that pointing out typos is irrelevant to the discussion and provides absolutely no value in this setting.
Some forums look a hot mess because there's no housecleaning done, and any standard of grammar/spelling remains as it was posted. This can have a detrimental effect on the curb appeal of a site as it reflects its community.
Based on researched done at the University of Michigan people who point out typos/grammos are much more often disliked and would therefore have a bigger detrimental effect on a community than the occasional apostrophe in the wrong place. If You’re House Is Still Available, Send Me an Email: Personality Influences Reactions to Written Errors in Email Messages

• Disagree
Reactions: tomas and Spacep0d
(moderator note: ok everyone, de-escalation time. I am well aware that some people are annoyed by grammer, etc but there are friendly ways of pointing this stuff out, and unfriendly ways of doing it, and this thread has definitely strayed toward the "unfriendly" way. The OPs question was answered earlier, and now the discussion is around a grammar mistake, which has been pointed out to the OP.

Unless someone else has something to add relative to the OPs regular question, lets shelve the grammar discussion. Thanks)

(moderator note: ok everyone, de-escalation time. I am well aware that some people are annoyed by grammer, etc but there are friendly ways of pointing this stuff out, and unfriendly ways of doing it, and this thread has definitely strayed toward the "unfriendly" way. The OPs question was answered earlier, and now the discussion is around a grammar mistake, which has been pointed out to the OP.

Unless someone else has something to add relative to the OPs regular question, lets shelve the grammar discussion. Thanks)
You went to all this trouble, couldn’t you just fix the auto spell error in the thread title so the problem goes away? Then the OT debate will look REALLY dumb :):)

You went to all this trouble, couldn’t you just fix the auto spell error in the thread title so the problem goes away?

By the time I looked at the thread, there was already several posts and back and forth about the grammer. If I fix the thread title, then I have to "do something" with all those posts, either move them to snippiness, or delete them. I chose to make a post about it rather than delete a bunch of content which, while argumentative, didnt break any forum rules.

75mph in the #3 lane going by a large truck in the in the #4 lane going 60mph. Three times now the car has slowed dramatically when along side the truck with no cars in front of me. Luckily no one was close behind me. Ideas?
See numerous threads on autopilot Phantom braking. It is anywhere from a minor annoyance to a real safety concern depending on context. There seems to be consistent reports that you can reduce the frequency and severity of it with two interventions; 1) reduce the early warning Collision alert to medium instead of earliest possible.; 2) if you are approaching situations that tend to increase the frequency of this, have your foot resting gently but not depressing the accelerator because a gentle press on that will cancel the Phantom braking.

Contexts in which this is reported more frequently include: approaching underpasses where there is a sharp and dark Shadow on the front of the underpass, or any other situation in which there is a sharp light-dark transition on the road surface, and also when you are in the Middle Lane and a large vehicle particularly a truck comes along tangent to you in the entry Lane. Those are the two most frequent triggers for Phantom braking. It used to happen to me all the time and was incredibly annoying and concerning (leading to anxiety that your phantom braking episode might lead to another kind of breaking if you get my drift), but since I changed the Collision warning level and I'm now prepared for it it's really a non-issue