Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Auto high beams and auto wipers worse on 2022 than 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently got my 2022 M3 after selling my 2018 M3. I feel like both the auto wipers and the auto high beams are dramatically worse in this car than the previous one. In the 2022, the high beams stay on way longer than I'm comfortable with, whereas I was always quite happy with how they were on the 2018. With the wipers, they weren't great on the 2018, but it was good enough that I usually left it on auto. In the 2022, even with a relatively mild rain, the wipers never slowed down from high speed. Has anyone else seen a change like this between model years? Could it be an indication of something not right with the front camera?

Yes I made a thread about just how bad the auto high beams are on my 2021. They are not only terrible but they are a safety issue since they are blinding other drivers.

The wipers are a complete joke. We have this rolling technology showcase where someone is telling us that in the near future the car will be driving us, and yet it can't even figure out if there is rain on the windscreen.

I love my Model 3 but these are terrible problems that need to be addressed.

agree 100%, the auto high beams and high beams when on autopilot are an issue for other drivers in front of me. The car seems to think it's ok to use high beams with traffic just a few hundred feet in front of me, on a perfectly lit, and straight road or interstate. We really need the option to disable it on autopilot.

Reactions: jkeyser14 and tm1v2
Had this experience last night in NYC. The auto high beams got activated in the middle of traffic. Weird. The wipers, in agreement, are a complete joke. Can't even use autopilot correctly without activating the windshield. On top of that, when it is slightly raining the wipers don't come on but when there is nothing on the road they will.

Reactions: spireite and Stach
I know I had seen posts about how bad they were, but I never had any major complaints in my 2018. I was really surprised that as similar as the two cars are (same cameras, same processor, similar SW version) that there would be such a dramatic difference

I know I had seen posts about how bad they were, but I never had any major complaints in my 2018. I was really surprised that as similar as the two cars are (same cameras, same processor, similar SW version) that there would be such a dramatic difference
it could be related to the 'tesla vision' thing. That would be my only reasonable assumption

Reactions: croman
Picked up my 2022 M3 last weekend. Granted it's my first Tesla, but the auto wipers are horrible. Even with a light mist, they're going at medium speed. It's got to the point where I don't even leave them on auto anymore.

Reactions: tm1v2
agree 100%, the auto high beams and high beams when on autopilot are an issue for other drivers in front of me. The car seems to think it's ok to use high beams with traffic just a few hundred feet in front of me, on a perfectly lit, and straight road or interstate. We really need the option to disable it on autopilot.

You can't disable it on your car, or you just mean not have it auto-enable every single time? On mine, the auto brights do come on every time I enable AP/FSD, but I can then disable them with a push on the stalk. My car is a 2018 with radar, but it's on FSDBeta so I assumed behavior would be the same as vision-only cars.

You can't disable it on your car, or you just mean not have it auto-enable every single time? On mine, the auto brights do come on every time I enable AP/FSD, but I can then disable them with a push on the stalk. My car is a 2018 with radar, but it's on FSDBeta so I assumed behavior would be the same as vision-only cars.
When autopilot is driving, the option to disable auto high beams is now greyed out and it's locked as enabled. If you're driving, you can disable it.

When autopilot is driving, the option to disable auto high beams is now greyed out and it's locked as enabled. If you're driving, you can disable it.
Huh, I guess it is different then. I can keep AP/FSD enabled but still disable auto-brights with the stalk (I haven't looked at the menu in settings though). Granted I have to do it every single time I deactivate/reactivate which is a lot with the state of FSDBeta.

Reactions: Tomc62
Huh, I guess it is different then. I can keep AP/FSD enabled but still disable auto-brights with the stalk (I haven't looked at the menu in settings though). Granted I have to do it every single time I deactivate/reactivate which is a lot with the state of FSDBeta.
what year is your car? because my 2019 would allow me to disable it, but this new 2021 will not allow it.

• Informative
Reactions: bedoig

Just press forward on the turn signal stalk, that allows you to turn off the auto high beams for that session of autopilot. They will come back on if you stop autopilot then re-engage autopilot, but you can press the stalk forward again to turn off the auto high beams.

The wipers...I really hate it when they drop down with a clunk every time they wip on the slower speeds...and by down I mean to the lowest position on the windshield.
Hmmm....I've owned my M3 for 14 months. One of the first things I noticed about the car was how quiet the wipers were. And they still are that quiet. Maybe your need some sort of calibration to eliminate that noise.

Reactions: rpiotro
The Auto high beams should be designed to only operate above a certain speed, such as 50 mph. Having them activate on city streets is anoying for oncoming traffic.

Can't do that as a huge use-case is for us country folks. Driving on non-lit country roads lined with trees is that best use of this technology but speed limits on these roads is well below 50 mph. It's a light sensor thing not a speed thing.

Reactions: Tomc62 and yale17
Can't do that as a huge use-case is for us country folks. Driving on non-lit country roads lined with trees is that best use of this technology but speed limits on these roads is well below 50 mph. It's a light sensor thing not a speed thing.
Manually activate high beams then. You are not going to outdrive your low beams below 50mph. You only need high beams when driving faster than your stopping distance. Yes, it's a speed thing.

Someone said I can deactivate my high beams after they auto activate by pushing forward on the turn signal stock, but that does not work in my car. Approaching cars are flashing their high beams at me. Someone on my HOA Facebook page posted that cars should not be driving in the neighborhood with their high beams on, that it shines in their windows. I don't want the HOA mad at me.

I'm getting a lot of road rage with these auto high beams and the phantom braking.